Yet another Solar Newbie question...

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
I posted a few days ago about a 100w solar set up... I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Renogy RV kit that I will be hard mounting to the roof rack of my 4runner to feed my ARB.

Now my question is, I've been reading all the different forums and instructions online and it's a bit overwhelming so I'm hoping you guys can answer one more question for me.

I don't want to get rid of the 90W Solar suitcase that I have now just because I own it and it doesn't take up that much space in the Bantam trailer that I pull. I read on a forum somewhere that there are some full time RV'ers who complement their roof top arrays with a solar suitcase for when they need it. Does this mean I could, in theory get up to 190W of solar if I were to attach, via alligator clamps the suitcase to the battery that the 100W roof mounted panel will be hardwired to. The vehicle only has one battery and the roof panel has its own charge controller and the solar suitcase has a built in charge controller

this is what I currently use, without the kit that should be arriving this week..

4x4junkie

Explorer
Yes, you should be able to do that no problem at all.

Solar systems (charge controllers) typically are designed to accommodate multiple charging sources being present at the same time, as this is actually quite common (the vehicle's alternator being the most common example). As the battery charges they should each go through the various charge stages (bulk, absorb, float) independently.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yes but dump the Aligator clips and just put a plug on it. The controllers dont care whats plugged in as long as they are seeing amps within their rating. 190watts is no biggie. Its a great idea to keep the suitcase rig. Many places we camp I need to locate the panels where we have sun.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Kyle, the Overland Festival is coming up in August, in PA (not too far from you). I think there will be two different solar companies there. You could always bring both setups out and have them show you the best way to make them work together.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Awesome!!!! Thanks guys, that's the answer I was hoping to get!

Hopefully the X2 power group 31 battery from batteries plus (Northstar) comes down in price sometime soon...

Ray, the overland festival is just two hours away and I had planned on attending but I work Saturday morning then I've got tickets to Jimmy Buffett in Atlantic City so probably not this year but I'll be headed to the expo at Biltmore for my 4th one

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
wanted to thank everyone for their feedback... got the system mounted.

I think I'm going to loo for a 27F battery with he biggest capacity as the 4runner has "reversed" terminals and I want to avoid having to avoid messing with the cables. As its only the ARB fridge that I'll be running, the 91 ah of the 27F isn't too far off from the 100 ah of the 31

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Check your voltages!

Check your charging voltages; some 4Runners only charge at 13.9v and if this is the case with your vehicle, it will never fully charge a deep cycle AGM or FLA battery. You may want to consider a voltage adjustment device like one of these: http://www.mechman.com/voltage-control-modules/

May not be critical as long as your solar and shore power kits achieve the proper voltages for long enough to fully complete the absorb/acceptance stage.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Check your charging voltages; some 4Runners only charge at 13.9v and if this is the case with your vehicle, it will never fully charge a deep cycle AGM or FLA battery. You may want to consider a voltage adjustment device like one of these: http://www.mechman.com/voltage-control-modules/

May not be critical as long as your solar and shore power kits achieve the proper voltages for long enough to fully complete the absorb/acceptance stage.

thanks for the reply.... wow, thats something else to look into!

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Finally got the last piece of this puzzle done....

Finished up my install of the solar panels and wiring by dropping in this big bad boy... XS Power 27F.....930 CCA, 91ah, 195 RC... Had planned on going with the 31M but this was a lot less work for not much difference in performance.

Yes, that is a piece of 1/2" rebar you see.... The battery is exactly 1/2 inch narrower than the 24F that was in there before.... The battery case has a groove that the bar sits in perfectly and the factory hold down works perfectly.... I had another tie down laying around so I out that in there for good measure... Sucker isn't going anywhere

The rats nest of wires that you see are for the ARB fridge, the winch, the solar panel, the XP-10 jump port, and the extra 90W solar suitcase for back-up

GeoRoss

Adventurer
I had the same issue with my battery. I took some aluminum angle stock for both sides. I did wrap mine up with electrical tape first. I would recommend that for your rebar if you are worried about the slim chance of arcing.

R

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
I had the same issue with my battery. I took some aluminum angle stock for both sides. I did wrap mine up with electrical tape first. I would recommend that for your rebar if you are worried about the slim chance of arcing.

R

thanks for the suggestion... picked up a roll of electrical tape from harbor freight and wrapped it right up.. looks much more tidy as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier