Free-Floating Smith & Wesson M&P15 5.56

robert

Expedition Leader
Another inexpensive option is ALG Defense http://algdefense.com/, it is Bill Geissele's wife's company. Lightweight, simple and they do everything I need a handguard to do.

I'd add a Geissele trigger of your choice; easily one of the best options for pure shootability (is that even a word?).

[video]https://youtu.be/ypb5HXdDJhc[/video]

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
All, thanks! Lot's of good info. Just out of curiosity, why do you think that 400 would be an issue? If I am trying to reach out that far accurately and consistently, would it behoove me to go up in caliber?

cyclic

Adventurer
With a good shooter, free floated barrel, good ammo, and a quality optic (magnified), you can reliably hit 600 no problem. I have a 11.5 barreled AR that's good to 500+ when I do my job. A major limit is the optic. Between bullet drop and reticle/target size much past 300 is really a pipe dream. Right tool for the job and all. If you really want to do 400 to 500 but still maintain a CBQ rifle, look strongly at a quality 1-6x or 1-8x scope. With a good red dot, you can have a strong accurate rifle inside 300 pretty easy, but it sucks at distance.

Bum

If you aren't dead set on the hand guard, take a look at Lancer Systems Hand Guards...they are 100% carbon fiber, extremely rigid, extremely lightweight, I run them on my rig and I cannot say enough about them.

BBsound

Adventurer
There are obviously many options.
That MI rail is pretty heavy as I recall. I personally like the TROY alpha rails.
As somebody already said above, get the longest rail you can.
Cutting down the FSB works, but it will eventually rust where it is cut and ground (unless it is a safe queen)
As somebody else above said, your barrel and trigger are your biggest factors in distance shooting.I personally like Noveske barrels, and I have a Ranier Arms Ultra Match stainless on my precision .308 AR that I have been pretty impressed with.
The geisselle triggers are good, but I like less take up. My preference is the JP Rifles triggers. You can make big improvements over stock triggers just with JP spring kits.

What performance do you need at 400 yards? and how precise are you looking for?
Are you just trying to ring steel at 400, or do you need effectiveness at 400?

vectorsc

Adventurer
400 is cake with a free floated ar. We hit to 600 with a mk18 (10.3).

Oddly I have had guns with odd accuracy issues come back to working right with installing a Geissele rail. The MI was on there fine before we took it off.

As others have said grind down your FSP. It's pinned already and make a good low Pro cut down.

The giessele comes with a gas block fyi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles