Solar panel help - sunroof mounted solar panel

Snorkeld_Zuk

Adventurer
I'm looking for a panel or maybe pair of panels that will fit 32x11" - the sunroof in my 88 4Runner.
I am thinking I can get about 15 watts. My main goal for this is to offset the power draw of the electronics, especially the alarm when it's parked for a week or more.

I have a pretty robust electrical system, yellow top Optima for the starting battery, 130a alternator, 165a isolator with a solenoid to combine. Two group 31 truck batteries make up the auxiliary bank.

I picked up the harbor freight 1.5 watt panel and their controller. On sunny days it seems to keep up with the draw. It is pretty small though. I could fit 4 of them on my sunroof.

That's another thought. Is the UV protection of the sunroof glass going to affect solar panel?
Thanks

4x4junkie

Explorer
If you're just looking for something to keep the battery up while the rig is parked, 10-15 watts of solar under the sunroof should do quite fine for that. The glass over the panel will cut it's output down a bit, but not enough to where it can't function as a battery maintainer. Just make sure whatever you set up has some sort of regulator to prevent overcharging the batteries (I can't recall for sure, but I'm thinking the HF one lacked this, it just went straight through from the panel to the battery... Maybe they figured 1½ watts can't hurt anything, but even that tiny amount can damage a battery if given enough time)

FWIW, a 15-watt panel is about a foot square these days, so should be no problem fitting something in that space.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Look at an RV product vendor, 'battery maintainer' small panel solutions have long been available in that market. most plug into the cigarette lighter / power port.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz