Thoughts on dewalt tough chests?

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I'm getting a bedrack custom fabbed for my tacoma for an upcoming trip this August and have been hunting around for the right waterproof boxes to put on it. I was in Home Depot last night picking up some stuff for my kayak and found
these on sale. On a whim I picked a couple up to see how they would fit with my bed. The length and width dimensions are nearly perfect for what I need, and having a waterproof gasket with padlock loops is a plus. My only major concern with them is their height, with my rack already sitting about 3" above my bedrails it would cause them to sit a couple inches over the top of my cab. Anyone use these? Input if that couple inches will be an issue? Recommendations on alternatives that are lower profile? I ended up paying about $150 out the door, and regardless of what I end up with I'd prefer to keep it around there. These have great reviews by contractors on how well they hold up, if they were only about 6" shorter I'd be completely happy with them.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I can't comment on your specific application, but I'm a fan of the Dewalt chests/boxes - I consider them a "poor mans Pelican" and have several.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have several of the smaller Tough System cases (L and XL), love 'em. They are everything an Action Packer isn't. Strong enough to sit/stand on, water resistant (I hesitate to say waterproof but have never tested them on a roof rack), don't get brittle in the cold, excellent tie-down points, really nice handles, more efficient shape...

But you will get some wind drag if they are poking above the cab, one thing they aren't is aerodynamic.

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I have several of the smaller Tough System cases (L and XL), love 'em. They are everything an Action Packer isn't. Strong enough to sit/stand on, water resistant (I hesitate to say waterproof but have never tested them on a roof rack), don't get brittle in the cold, excellent tie-down points, really nice handles, more efficient shape...

But you will get some wind drag if they are poking above the cab, one thing they aren't is aerodynamic.

Yeah the aerodynamics is kinda whats making me drag my heels. There shouldn't be anything very heavy in them (one is going to be used for the camp equipment i.e. tent/mattress/chairs, other for daypacks and the odd stuff we'll need more often than the stuff in the bed) so COG isn't as big of a concern as drag. I love the look of the XL tough system cases but its hard to swallow the fact that I paid about $5 more than what they cost and mine are considerably larger capacity. If only they had something in between...

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yeah, that price on the rolling cases is a steal. I am halfway tempted to buy one just on general principle, but I don't really need anything that big inside my Trooper.

I use the XL case as a food/kitchen kit. The tool rack works great for utensils. And it makes an excellent bench seat.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The issue I have with big boxes is that when they are full, they can be very difficult to handle. I prefer smaller boxes that stack, like the mid-size Ridgid box.

bhguy

Observer
I have 7 Dewalt boxes all the large size. Every one has side handle issues where they have snapped or are showing white stress fracture marks. One only has a chainsaw oil and 2 1 liter gas bottles. Well under the weight limit. All purchased last June...bummed out but they are cheap for a reason I guess and they have all but disappeared from stores here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior