your gear changes over time - obsession maybe ?

Honu

lost on the mainland
SO PLEASE SHARE :) how has your gear changed over time and how is it changing currently !!!!

Honu

lost on the mainland
for me
so had a thread about going from a trailer to just our SUV
and our lightening experience and it keeps going

over my life from bicycle touring to camping in my 30s with my buddies where I was so minimal it was basically a pair of clothes and that is about it some fish gear etc... to more and more and now of course am going backwards to minimalism :)

while I kinda want a trailer again :) hahaahh just so it can be more ready to roll I will go with a Australia style setup http://www.patriotcampers.com.au/patriot-x1-off-road-camper-trailer/
but at the same time dont want a trailer ?

might try some drifta style drawers meaning ones I can pull out all the way and then setup as a kitchen box and like the teflon sliders nice and simple etc...

going to a 4runner from our FJC was a nice step and while I would like a bit bigger camp rig I kinda dont want a bigger rig ? its a tough back and forth and not sure if others go through this in there head or I am just way to obsessive :) hahahhahaha

problem still is I want a bit more room to carry my photo gear (my profession ) and being able to bring some more gear so want to carry our honda 2000 geni also again why a small trailer might be nice but maybe one day a nice van ready to roll ?

but more and more I am downsizing and lightening things up :)

Dragos28

Adventurer
Soo much has changed from when i first started overlanding.
I started with a ground tent, then got a bigger one. bought nice mattresses. but that was a PITA
so we bought a roof top tent.

had a cheap cooler, bought another one, bought a pelican. Then i ended up buying a fridge. thats just a game changer.

used to keep water in those blue water jugs, those always broke on me. now i have a 17 gallon aluminum tank with a water pump, run that through a tankless water heater for instant hot water and hot showers anywhere.

started off with a charcoal grill, upgraded to a full size table-top propane grill

used to use plastic tote boxes for my gear but they always broke, now i use pelican boxes for all my gear.

thats all i can think of off hand.

Honu

lost on the mainland
interesting on the pelican :)
I switched from those to plastic bins and had to try a few before I found some that do not break :) but changed cause of the weight :) but have to say I liked the pelicans cause I could stack them up and stand on them to help load the roof rack :) hahahahaha

C-Fish

Adventurer
We are going through the same process. Sleeping in the back of the FJC has its benefits and disadvantages.
The Fowing sure adds an additional element to the experience.

I use pelican boxes for the chuckbox and my camera gear (dust proof).

We are in the process of having a custom built memory foam bed made for the sleeping platform so we can ditch the air mattress...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
With regards to backpacking...

As things wear out, we renew with lighter gear.

The wife and I have been backpacking together for nearly 20 years.
Lately we have been renewing one or two items each season.

Nothing lasts forever, and my back isn't getting any younger :sombrero:

JLee

Adventurer
I'm fairly new to the game, but I'm definitely trending towards lighter weight / more efficient. This is happening to my vehicle choice as well as what I carry in it.

grogie

Like to Camp
First of all with my Jeep TJ which I bought new, it took me 10 years to get it where I wanted it there isn't much left stock on it (besides the I6). Which included three years ago when added an 1100# box trailer specifically built for the Jeep with a Tepui RTT on top of the trailer. My wife and I had often been taking two week camping trips with just the Jeep, and the trailer really improved the comfort level and especially with going from a ground tent to the RTT. I've also been refining the trailer's setup with the right gear, but not to over do it. Keeping everything lightweight as possible, and as well safe has always been top of mind with both the Jeep and trailer.

M8PA6R.jpg

Kerensky97

Xterra101
My gear just upgrades. I started out with budget camping gear and Army Surplus and as I get money I upgrade to the Titanium cookware, and fancy high-end stuff.
But I'm also a Backpacker/Ultralight camper so I try to pare down my camping to a few multi-use items rather than everything lus the kitchen sink. It's actually been difficult for me to build up a track camping setup that has more amenities.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
The main thing I've learned, which doesn't just apply to camping gear, is to buy quality the first time. I can't tell you how many times I tried to save a buck and then spent more in the long run vs buying the quality piece the first time.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
My common sense tells me that it is more needs based than obsession, as our needs change so does our requirement for comfort. For example, a young couple has a baby and most of their setup changes to make them all comfortable.

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah agree :)

also more how its effected your personal gear if you have changed over time or not :)

so once that baby has been with the family for a while is dad burnt out on setting up such a large tent he searches for a smaller one ?
or dad decides to go canvas even though heavier he knows it will be more comfy for family etc..
was more curious how others have changed and if it then effects the next piece of gear

My common sense tells me that it is more needs based than obsession, as our needs change so does our requirement for comfort. For example, a young couple has a baby and most of their setup changes to make them all comfortable.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
My changes have been fairly constant, honestly because I like getting new gear to a point. I can't leave well enough alone and I'll keep incrementally improving until I'm "done", at which point I usually sell the project and start over :).

I started with really basic stuff that didn't get used much because I didn't appreciate the outdoors as much as I do now. Moved to moto camping and got some nicer gear, most of which I still have. Picked up a big Kelty tent that we've used as a family a few times, but after debating a trailer or RV, we ended up building the van out a bit more and using that, which has been great. It really plays to the engineer in my and lets me problem solve and build my own solutions, which I love. The fridge, as someone else said, is a game changer, I worry a bit about the battery draw (until I add a 2nd battery) but it's so much nicer than a cooler.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I've gone from small to large and back to small (tents). From being able to fit all the gear I owned in one backpack, to many duplicates of the same item, to trying to get rid of them. From rudimentary to super comfortable. These changes are about wanting to spend more time enjoying the surroundings and less time wrassling with gear. And also about a growing commitment to camping to the point of being willing to buy good quality.

A challenge is keeping the gear stock manageable when you do different kinds of camping. I do bike, kayak, and car camping plus backpacking. Bike and backpack are similar, but kayaking gear is different (more luxurious), so that's three different gear sets.

Aging has a lot to do with gear choices. In my twenties I biked around Europe with a 3/8" foam pad. Nowadays I can't sleep on anything less than a 4" air mattress. Cots start looking good as you get older.

Another switch has been synthetic to down sleeping bags. In the old days we had this fear that we were going to get our sleeping bags wet and die in the outback. Well, that never happened. I've only ever gotten my sleeping bag wet once and then only a bit of the foot. Plus now we have dridown and water repellent sleeping bags. I'll never go back to synthetic.

Since I started camping in the 1970s gear has improved tremendously. I don't appreciate unnecessary and expensive doodads, but on the whole mattresses, sleeping bags, tents, cots, chairs, backpacks, lanterns, and raincoats are much better than several decades ago. Bikes and kayaks too. So I think the whole outdoor experience has improved. Remember all those sleepless nights on the hard ground? Lugging backpacks that didn't fit, getting soaked in raincoats that weren't waterproof, warnings not to touch the side of the canvas tent in the rain. Not to mention vehicles that were old at 60,000 miles.

TacomaAustin

Observer
Aging has a lot to do with gear choices. In my twenties I biked around Europe with a 3/8" foam pad. Nowadays I can't sleep on anything less than a 4" air mattress. Cots start looking good as you get older.

A couple of years back for my 60th birthday - I laid out the bucks for a couple of Therm-a-Rest tent cots and Exped DownMat pads. It does make a difference.

The other thing on my wish list and which I am resisting at the moment, is to get a taller tent. The entrances are only about 40 inches high at the rain fly vestibules of my current 4P tent - which is for two people. An adult must kneel or squat to get in or out the tent.

The above items are part of a ready to roll kit - along with two Helionox chairs, a collapsible wash basin and collapsible shower bag - that all fit into an old medium sized, backpack with a zip up cover on the rear. The travel backpack is cool, because it can be checked in as a piece of luggage on the airlines and lugged off to a camp spot away from the vehicle. The pack is currently full. So, a taller tent may not fit.

All the best from Austin, TX

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier