Fridges?

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Well, the fiance (asked her on the first day of camping) and I just wrapped up the her half of a trip through Big Sur (she is leaving to OH for some weeks, I'm driving back down), and thanks to GillTi we got to taste the luxury of having an Engel 45 on the trip. Now, we are hooked. The thermoelectric cooler just won't cut it for long trips. So, the question is what are the options of fridges. I only know of the Engels and the ARBs. I would love to have more information on possible makers, serviceability, price, etc. The 45 seemed like a good size. Since this was mainly a road trip with backpacking we took her RAV4 instead of the Samurai, and it fit great behind the driver's seat (post pictures soon in Completed Adventures). It worked great in spite of not having a deep cycle or dual battery. We would just run it cold while driving, then let it hold the temp. Food stayed fresh the whole trip. Thanks for any help.

gillti

Adventurer
congrats!!

hey bro! Congrats on the engagement. Can't wait to here all about it.
You are lucky, she's a cool chica.

The overland journal has a great writeup and comparison of fridges. I'll let you borrow it when you get back.

Congrats again and call sometime!
tjg

DBS311

Adventurer
I got my National Luna fridge from Paul at Euipt1. So far it has been on a couple trips and works perfectly. It cools down fast, is efficient, and the wife approves. At almost twice the price of the ARB/Engel 45, I can't say whether it is better or not, but I kinda wanted something different. One thing to look for is the additional costs of add-on accessories. I found that my NL fridge was cheaper than the MT60 when the transit bag and mounting plate were also factored in. Plus, I don't have to worry about the hinge locks.

You can't argue the reliability of the ARB/Engel swing motor. It has proven itself over the years. I'm not saying that I'm expecting my Danfoss compressor to crap out, but I'm hoping it is as reliable as the swing motor.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Congrats!!!

Try a search, there's been talk about fridges on this board a long time. Tons of valuable info out there.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
DBS311 said:
I got my National Luna fridge from Paul at Euipt1. So far it has been on a couple trips and works perfectly. It cools down fast, is efficient, and the wife approves. At almost twice the price of the ARB/Engel 45, I can't say whether it is better or not, but I kinda wanted something different. One thing to look for is the additional costs of add-on accessories. I found that my NL fridge was cheaper than the MT60 when the transit bag and mounting plate were also factored in. Plus, I don't have to worry about the hinge locks.

You can't argue the reliability of the ARB/Engel swing motor. It has proven itself over the years. I'm not saying that I'm expecting my Danfoss compressor to crap out, but I'm hoping it is as reliable as the swing motor.

I've been running an 84 qt Waeco with the Danfoss compressor for over a year now with no problems......yet.:elkgrin:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
DBS311 said:

Congratulations on what, if it hasn't already, will become your favorite camping/wheeling accessory! 3-years of fairly rugged use on my Waeco CF-50...no issues...it just works.

nugget

Observer
Mate you will not go wrong with the Engel/ARB and for a couple of people the 45l is an excellent size. My Engel is 15 years old and has been dragged from one end of Aussie to the other in the back of a Patrol, in the back of an off road camper trailer, and in the back of a dual cab, under a tarp.

Passed it onto my son who has it on the tray of his Hilux and I have bought an ARB which has also had some pretty rough rides and is still working great.

Love the National Luns but just can not justify paying double the price of the Engel/ARB. Waeco are getting a bit of a reputation in Aussie for the electrics playing up.

Congratulations on becoming engaged...whio said being engaged was like getting a bike for Xmas and then being told you couldn't ride it????

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for the replies and the congratulations. I'm starting to feel more knowledgeable on this subject. It is good to hear over and over that the ARB/Engels are so reliable. That is key to me since the budget isn't huge being a teacher, so I can't replace or fix stuff all the time. Now, it is time to start checking craigslist everday.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
He's getting hitched dude.

dude??? are you copping a tude at spressomon with your lack or of reading comprehension ??:peepwall:

i know its not worded so great but he meant to say congrats on what will be your fav piece of equipement.:hehe:

FlyingWen

Explorer
I agree on the Engel. We have an MT45 and absolutely love it. We have a TwoZone added on top for extra room and it is great for long trip!

Good luck with the search

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier