Offroad-friendly kayak mounts?

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Hey guys, this may be a silly question but this seems like the best place to ask it. This past spring I recently got into kayaking and absolutely love it. I've been playing around with the idea of taking it with me when I go places, as the idea of kayaking in Yellowstone, Banff, or the various mountain lakes I've seen on dirt trails would be amazing. Right now I just transport it on a standard J-craddle on the top of my tacoma. While this works great for taking it out to the bay, I question how well it'll support the kayak if I'm offroading. Does anyone have any experience in this they'd like to share? I'd probably be taking two, my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 and my girlfriends 12ft hobie SOT (can't remember the model) so both would be fairly large and heavier than sit-ins.

macgyver_ga

Adventurer
We use the thule glide-n-set saddles for our kayaks. I have a thule rack on the top of my camper shell. They Work well. I have a 12' Perception Pescador (same as the older model tarpons), my wife has a cheapie 10' pelican. I have driven multiple trips 10+ hours on the highway with them up there. No bow & stern tie downs necessary with my truck since the crossbars are spaced far enough apart.

We need to get our boats back in the water... We haven't used them in two summers since our son was born. I've thought about taking him out with me in mine on the lake to get him used to it, I just know he's a squirmy worm and I'm not sure how well he'll do and what kind of attention span he'll have haha.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I bet a ladder rack type arrangement might give you the added rigidity. Might also help keep them lower used with saddle style racks on the cross bars instead of J bars, if there is enough width to let them sit side by side.

Kinda like these ladder racks, kayak racks attach to it. Not as fragile as a roof rain gutter clamped rack.
thule-500xt-xsporter-pro-toyota-tacoma-truck-rack.jpg

images

macgyver_ga

Adventurer
if you plan on keeping an open bed then I would go with the racks he mentioned.

I got bit by the camper shell bug 2 trucks ago in order to transport kayaks and keep other gear dry inside the shell. I've had a camper shell on every truck since then.

You should be able to fit two side-by-side with a taco. I used to have an '07 DCSB taco and transported our two kayaks on the roof of the camper shell I had on it.

I transported 3 kayaks one time as well. Two in the saddles and one tied down in the middle between them. Drove from Atlanta to Hilton Head & back with 3 on the roof
I bet a ladder rack type arrangement might give you the added rigidity. Might also help keep them lower used with saddle style racks on the cross bars instead of J bars, if there is enough width to let them sit side by side.

Kinda like these ladder racks, kayak racks attach to it. Not as fragile as a roof rain gutter clamped rack.
thule-500xt-xsporter-pro-toyota-tacoma-truck-rack.jpg

images

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I actually run the J-cradles on a bed rack system (picture predates the cradles):

VGmPJVQ.jpg

With both mine and hers on the truck side by side just laid on the crossbars it took up the entire width. I switch to cradles because a) it was easier for me to load and unload from the side of the truck on my own, and b) I wanted room for some rod holders (non-overlanding related). If y'all think it'll be stable then that puts my mind at ease.

Luke1

I love my Malone sea wings they seem to spread the load out over a larger area then the j hooks I was using.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles