DE VI - The Pony Express Trip Report

gwittman

Adventurer
Yes Ace, The DE trips seem to get better every year.
I am glad we ignored the warning from the local that told us the road was not open all the way. We saw some vey nice country finding out for ourselves that the trail was blocked by snow. Back tracking is not preferred but it does provide a different view of what we saw going in.
Here is a shot of some more of the gorgeous scenery.
P1010061.jpg
I still love the flowers along the way.
P1010062.jpg...P1010064.jpg
Here are portions of the mine site that is reported to have returned the most gold of any site in Nevada. It is gated so there must be some mining activity still going on today.
P1010066.jpg...P1010067.jpg
Laura, I very much appreciate your recording of our route. I am terrible at keeping up with tracing the route and am sorry for it later. Now I can get out my map and highlight our travels.

Last edited:

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Our nice, sheltered camp at 7400'

d9-1.jpg

View from camp

d9-2.jpg

I'm sensing a theme here...

d9-3.jpg

I almost stepped on this guy!

d9-4.jpg

A very large, working gold mine

d9-5.jpg

More spectacular scenery

d9-6.jpg

Last edited:

Hun

Expedition historian
Laura, I very much appreciate your recording of our route. I am terrible at keeping up with tracing the route and am sorry for it later. Now I can get out my map and highlight our travels.

It's my pleasure Gary! I'm a map lover from way back and enjoy doing it. And riding shot gun gives me plenty of time to record our routes early as we start the new day. I have to do it every day before the its lost in the data bank! Scott and I have even discussed highlighting the map the way Sib does religiously. I like to see what ground we have covered. But when it's all said and done, the map is not the territory! So being there is the greatest joy.

Hun

Expedition historian
Day 10 - Finally found a ghost town - non-deserted!

Banana pancakes for breakfast and conversation around the circle to start our day.

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

We headed west out to the Smokey Valley to find a fuel stop on 376 where Sib would turn south and head for home while we headed back east to cut through the mountains again finding our way to the Great Basin National Park. Well, that was the plan anyway. Our GPSs took us to Manhattan for fuel. The skyline was in marked contrast to Manhattan Island of NY.

IMG_0081.jpg

Manhattan was without fuel proving once again that one can't rely solely on GPS information (...but it said so on the Internet). We retraced our path out of Manhattan and followed Sib's path heading south on 376 into Tonopah for fuel, provisions, and a Mexican meal at Los Marquez. Leaving Tonopah we headed back north on 376 a short ways turning northeast to Belmont. Belmont was a booming town of 2000 inhabitants during the mining boon. Many structures still stand including an impressive courthouse.

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

The salon was open as there are permanent residents yet today. While the guys studied the intricacies of the road grader from the 1800s I meandered around town looking for the gift shop.

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

I noticed upon finding this wagon tucked beside one of the buildings that the town-dwellers really enjoyed their cranberry juice too.

IMG_0088.jpg

Driving out of town we stopped at the stamp mill to explore the still-standing chimney among the rubble.

IMG_0095.jpg

Then it was northward to Pine Creek Campground. The campground was overgrown so we picked a flat open spot near the trailhead and settled in for evening talk. After munching on Frenchie's Chicago mix popcorn, we played the cherry pit game which of course is seeing how far one could spit a cherry pit over another campers' head. Dinner of hot dogs, a warm shower and we were ready for star gazing. Camped at 7500', traversed 190 miles.

gwittman

Adventurer
I think not!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Frenchie, Sometimes you just can't control that little devil in you. :yikes: :sombrero:

Last edited:

gwittman

Adventurer
Here is a part of the jail behind the courthouse in Belmont. I think it must be for the really bad guys. It must get pretty hot in that steel structure during the heat of the day :sunny: and very cold at night in the winter . The broken wall in the background looks to be the main jail. I guess there was a major jail break. :pROFSheriffHL:
P1010069.jpg
And to balance the mood a little, here is a another flower to brighten things up.
P1010074.jpg

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Gary, wasn't it Pine Crk CG where you, Keith and I spent one night? We saw all the trees cut down to try to block the creek. Idiots those.

gwittman

Adventurer
Yes, you are right Ace. Keith saved Pine Creek in his GPS and lead us there. We actually camped right outside of the camp ground because it had quite a few people there and we could not find site or a combination of sites large enough to hold all of us.

The creek was flowing pretty good this time would have been very difficult to block off. Any higher and it probably would not have been safe to cross it at the exit of the camp ground.

Last edited:

gwittman

Adventurer
I need to close out at least my part of the trip. I stayed an extra day at Great Basin National Park. Everybody but Keith and I got up very early to leave after our last night of group camping. They had a long day of traveling to make it to their next destination. I got up to say good bye to everyone but had to feel my way around because I did not have time to put my contacts in. I hope I didn't say bye to anyone that was not part of our group. I went back to bed after that and Keith must have left sometime while I was sleeping. When I got up he was gone too.
Here is a shot of our group when we drove up as far as we could to Wheeler Peak. Sib had already left us but you get to see a rare photo with Laura in it.
P1010082.jpg
I got some information from a Ranger at the Visitors center on some 4WD trails around there. He told me about Mill Creek Rd but could not give me any information on the condition of it. It was supposed to be near where we camped so I set out to find it. Following his instructions and markings on the map, I could only find Weaver Creek Rd. It went up toward Wheeler Peak from the North side and eventually became a horse trail. It was an interesting drive and had some fairly challenging spots, especially when it became essentially a horse trail. I had to turn around when it got too narrow. I swear this was part of the trail. I would not blaze a new trail.
P1010088.jpg
After this morning jaunt, I went to the National Park campsites to check in so I would be sure to have a campsite for the night. I then headed out to another 4WD trail hoping I would have better luck finding this one. He told me it would be unlikely that I would get all the way through due to washouts and run off from the mountain. I would not let a thing like that keep me from exploring. Besides, all I would have to do is turn around. This certainly doesn't look like a rough trail.
P1010096.jpg
So I just kept going and of course I could not pass up taking more pictures of flowers.
P1010092.jpg
There were also some scenic views along the way.
P1010097.jpg
I did final come to an area that was questionable to continue. It got very marshy and there had not been any vehicles through there in a long time. I decided to keep going. I knew that if I made it through that section it was less than two miles to my campsite. Turning around and backtracking all the way was not a good option. My mud tires where working good and traction was acceptable. Then one of the tire tracks became a small stream but I was still moving OK. Then I came to the point of making a final decision. I came to a 25 to 30 ft wide creek with very fast flowing water and I could not tell how deep it was. I grabbed stick to see if I could determine the depth but it was not much help. I decided to creep my truck into it carefully and if the front started giving a hint of slipping down stream, I would put it in reverse and get out of there. It was getting pretty deep but no threat of washing downstream. Once the front tires got halfway I decided to go for it and hit the accelerator pedal. It did get a little deeper and there was a little slipping downstream but not enough to be very concerned. I was committed at that point anyway and just had to deal with what ever happened. I made it across just fine though. I now know why the Ranger told me it was unlikely I would get through.
After looking at the map in more detail, I did find Mill Creek. I am guessing that is also the location of Mill Creek Rd. It was about 2 miles away from where the Ranger told me to find it. Being late in the day and also being tired from my other two trips, I decided to leave it for another time, if I am in that area again. I had a good nights sleep and after breakfast headed back home with happy, long lasting memories of another wonder trip into the wilderness with great companions.

Last edited:

gwittman

Adventurer
Ace, I have always been frisky but try to be on the smart side to keep myself out of trouble. You have turned me around at least once feeling that we would get into trouble if we kept going. We found out later that you had made the right call.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Ace, I have always been frisky but try to be on the smart side to keep myself out of trouble. You have turned me around at least once feeling that we would get into trouble if we kept going. We found out later that you had made the right call.

Help with an old memory; where was that?

gwittman

Adventurer
It was at the end of the Death Valley trip after Frenchie had left us. We were headed up a wash to a mining area in the mountains. I can't remember the name of it. I ended up going around to the East side and went up to it the easier way.
I did a little research and am pretty sure it was Cerro Gordo.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94