What year CJ?

stingray1300

Explorer
Hey Jeepers, I'm starting to look at a project vehicle. I'm thinking a CJ7 (for the added 10" wheelbase over a CJ5). Any advice? Loaded question? Yup!:elkgrin:
I don't want to offend anyone by what I'm about to say, but I don't want anything that Dodge built. So, so what year(s) would be the best balance of OEM equipment (differentials, tranny, engine options, etc.). I'm a welder by trade so can do all my own mods, and I don't mind doing a major component swap.
Thanks so much for any insights!

jkilgore11

Adventurer
This is a very loaded question! Haha! The following is just my opinion and experiences. There are people here that can tell you everything about every Jeep ever produced, but I think you are on the right track with the CJ7. Make a list of components that you want to keep. Do you want to keep the stock axles, transmission, transfer case, engine, suspension, etc? What size tires do you want to run? Rock crawling, mall crawling, overlanding, or all of the above. I did a full resto-mod on a 1978 CJ7. Axle swap, fox Coilovers, head swap, and everything that goes with it. Problem areas were the AMC rear axle, 3-speed manual transmission, and other components that were upgraded in the later years. If you are not going to swap everything out, I suggest going with the 80's models. Look for excessive rust and frame cracks. Do lots of research and have fun!

VooDoo2

in 1983 the CJ7 started to get a little more complicated with a computer controlled spark and more emission controls. Most people do the "Nutter" bypass and remove all the just to return them back to simple. The Later CJ7's also get the wide track diff's making them more stable but anything these days is likely to need a refirb, meaning "upgrades" such as stronger diff's, gearboxes, engines etc plus the issue they all had which was rust.

Here is the last one i rebuilt10542882_10152403056518181_2515501404929729006_n.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I just bought a 1984. For me it came down to being in a condition I could enjoy as is, it was close, and it was super low mile two owner Jeep. I got all the original paperwork and manuals. It is bone stock. It has some rust underneath, but nothing that can't easily be dealt with. There are so many things you can do, and so many parts available that you really can't go wrong.

YJ-8

To answer your question-- stock for stock unmolested-- 1986 CJ7 (the final year), D44 rear axle and Dana 300 transfer case.

Now dont look over what "dodge" built-- in general they are better in every aspect (CJ guys dont like to hear this but its true :) ) especially fuel injected motors and fully boxed frames and galvanized tubs. The weak areas are easy to fix, and they generally dont look as good as a CJ-- but the CJ front end can be adapted if you must.

If you want even better look at a Jeep LJ-- what one can argue as one of the best jeeps ever offered.

Also for overlanding look into CJ-6's and 8's for more room-- especially if you are building this to your specifications.

YJ-8

Tazman

Adventurer
I purchased a 1986 CJ7 in 2005. It was a barn find with 20k on it. I looked at hundreds of jeeps before I purchased it. I wanted something that hadn't been hacked on. That eliminated 90%. I chose the 86 because it had power steering (important to guys that have had shoulder surgeries) and a 5 speed (for some reason that was important to me.) At 33k on the clock, new suspension, winch, bumpers, lockers, and etc. , it is perfect for me.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
It probably won't much matter in the long run. If you end up like most Jeep people, before you're done it'll be more aftermarket than original anyway. Jeeps are like automotive Legos for big boys. There's a local Jeep aftermarket supplier 30 minutes from my House that I could walk into and with a fat enough credit card or wad of cash, walk back out of with a complete from the ground up Jeep lacking nothing except a title.

pittsburgh

tacocat
image.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Here's my jeep resume

1981 CJ 7
1979 CJ 7
1997 TJ
1995 YJ
1988 Suzuki Samurai (not a jeep, but, had YJ springs under it)
2005 LJ

Out of all of these the 1995 YJ was my favorite, simple, solid, power steering, fuel injection. If all your after is a simple foundation a YJ is a sweet way to go that still has some nostalgia. If you are dead set on a CJ 7 I wouldn't sweat the year so much as the condition of the body and frame. Sounds like you have fab skills and the CJ is pretty easy to modify. No pics of the CJ's they were pre digital era jeeps for me in my late teens/early20's.

POS

If it's got to be a CJ, then the 1986 with manual and low miles is the one. If it can be any Jeep, then a low mile YJ or TJ is better. The newer the better - more stable, just as reliable. I eventually sold all the old Jeeps and bought. 2015 Rubicon to keep forever. Feels classic, drives new. Love it.

jkilgore11

Adventurer
I did the same thing. A lot of money, blood, sweat, and tears went into my 1978 CJ7. My wife never did get comfortable driving it. I don't know if she didn't like the coilovers and lift, or she was afraid to scratch it. After much debate, we sold it and purchased a new JKU. It went to a good home, but I almost cried when he drove off with it. There is just something about CJ's. Like my dad always said, "If mama's happy then you will be happy". She is happy and I get a new project!

stingray1300

Explorer
Hey guys, thank you so much for the input!
I understand the nostalgia thing. A real tear-jerker though is my grandpa's 56 Willys pick up. Cherried out. He was almost forced to sell it by a kid who kept adding dollars to his offer. I was crushed, as I wanted it, but grandpa didn't know it :(
So, it sounds like I have to get over my absolute hatred for all things Fiat (Dodge) then, huh? 2 years ago, the top five most UNreliable vehicles, rated by owners, was 1-Fiat, 2-Dodge, 3-Jeep, 4-Ram, 5-Mercedes. When I wrenched for a living, I learned what vehicles I would never own (Dodge/Chrysler, Volvo, Mercedes and Datsun/Nissan). My bigotry still exists :sombrero:
I really don't want to HAVE to do a lot to the Jeep. I just want it to do trails I can't fit on with my 145" wheelbase F150, which I use for overlanding. Now don't laugh, but I've managed Class IV Jeep trails in my F150 just fine. But, for example, I didn't even bother with Black bear Pass last year, but would have if I had had a shorter wheelbase. I'd like to find something that... ahem, I can afford... but that doesn't need an overhaul. I'd like to run 33s and a small lift. Something I can maybe take on the Rubicon. I had 2 Scout IIs, and the last one was set up just for the Rubicon, but then life took a right turn and I sold it. Still wish I had it... An older CJ will be simpler, but I know, less creature comforts. I'm not going to be commuting in it or living out of it (that's what the F150 is for:)). More of a toy, I suppose.
Y'all have given me food for thought, and I thank you! The thinking process continues while waiting for the funds... :coffee:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Given that goal, I'd find a decent TJ Rubicon and call it a day. Factory 44s w/lockers, a solid transfer case, and you could fit 33s with minimal effort. Go 99% of the places anyone is likely to want to go in an off-road situation that wasn't all about obstacles for obstacles sake.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So, it sounds like I have to get over my absolute hatred for all things Fiat (Dodge) then, huh? 2 years ago, the top five most UNreliable vehicles, rated by owners, was 1-Fiat, 2-Dodge, 3-Jeep, 4-Ram, 5-Mercedes.

I really don't want to HAVE to do a lot to the Jeep. I'd like to find something that... ahem, I can afford... but that doesn't need an overhaul. I'd like to run 33s and a small lift. Something I can maybe take on the Rubicon.

My response to the first part above (as a non-brand loyalist) is that the vast majority of people who are apt to respond to these types of surveys or be on brand specific forums are people with a problem or a bone to pick. Those of us who are driving problem free vehicles are not usually the "squeaky wheels". I've owned a '05 TJ Rubicon, a '11 Rubicon and a '14 Dodge 3500 Cummins truck (as well as a plethora of older Dodge 2500 and 3500s and a bunch of F250s and F350s. By FAR the F series trucks demanded more time and money to keep running and driving.

To the second part of your post that I quoted, I have to agree that a TJ Rubicon would be the easiest option for you. The only question will be the affordability. If you look further than a couple of hundred miles you can find something to fit your budget. It's nice to build something up the way you want, but there's always the one that is built that pops up for sale when the owner has back issues, or is getting a divorce, or dies of old age etc etc. There are so many nice CJs YJs and TJs rolling around California and Arizona that one of them must surely be the right fit for you!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Given that goal, I'd find a decent TJ Rubicon and call it a day. Factory 44s w/lockers, a solid transfer case, and you could fit 33s with minimal effort. Go 99% of the places anyone is likely to want to go in an off-road situation that wasn't all about obstacles for obstacles sake.

X3 on that. Good blend of old and new tech. The coils all around make a decent comfort feature but it's still a Jeep with SFAs so it's still not saying much. Just install a quality lift and you'll be surprised. Best part is the 4.0, rated #8 for the top 10 best engines of the last 20 years by Jalopnik (2 year old article).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior