Fuso rear axle alignment

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've been having some issues with my Fuso pushing a bit to the right and after looking at it think I need to tweak my thrust alignment. It's probably been off a tiny bit ever since I did the frame replacement.

Any tips / tricks? Looks pretty simple, loosen 8 bolts and nudge it with a come along?

(I recently put new rubber on so can no longer blame the old tires.)

EAB

Observer
I am really interested in this. I have had the front end of mine aligned twice and it still pulls to the right. I guess the question is, how much do you "nudge it"?

I've been having some issues with my Fuso pushing a bit to the right and after looking at it think I need to tweak my thrust alignment. It's probably been off a tiny bit ever since I did the frame replacement.

Any tips / tricks? Looks pretty simple, loosen 8 bolts and nudge it with a come along?

(I recently put new rubber on so can no longer blame the old tires.)

gait

Explorer
I don't know about aligning rear axle, though I had it checked. I have an after market camber kit which solved pulling to any side.

pugslyyy

I don't know about aligning rear axle, though I had it checked. I have an after market camber kit which solved pulling to any side.

Hmm, I'm assuming that my issue is a slightly-off rear axle alignment but I shall check camber as well.

Fugly

Adventurer
pugslyyy,

Why not measure Ctr to Ctr both sides and see what the difference is....
You may have already done this .....
Just my 2 bobs worth....

Cheers Fugly

pugslyyy

I recentered the steering wheel today, which was surprisingly easy. I didn't have a gear puller but didn't need one - you just take the nut off and then lift the steering wheel with your knees while hitting the top of the steering column energetically with a hammer and it pops right off.

I used the "string technique" to find the center point for the front axle - I don't believe the steering wheel had ever been recentered after the suspension was changed (there was still paint on the nut holding it to the column)

Step 2, aligning the rear axle with the front axle is still a work in progress. I was able to loosen 6 of the 8 nuts on the u-bolts, but two are still stubbornly holding on. I soaked everything liberally with WD-40 and plan to have another go at it in the morning. I'm not certain if I am going to need to disconnect the rear sway bar but I may do so anyway as a way to ensure that there is no preload.

According to the Fuso manual the u-bolt mounting nuts need to be torqued to 175 ft-lbs, but these are taking way over that to break loose. Probably corrosion and grime due to the location.

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
this comment is probably obviously to someone with your experience. If you are having serious trouble getting the nuts undone I would consider replacing the ubolt.

Some years ago I rebuilt a Toyota troopy prior to a long trip through central asia. This included replacing the rear leaf springs. I had great trouble undoing the nuts and when finally off I could see distortion of the threads indicating that the ubolts had suffered some twisting in the area just above where the nuts had been locked on. I had planned to replace the ubolts anyway but wanted to keep a couple of the old ones for emergency spares. I gave that away having seen the damage.

I know the truck ones are more substantial but I would err on the side of caution. I found a good test was to clean the ubolt threads and then wind on a steel nut. The nut should turn easily but will bind where the threads are distorted. I found 2 of the ubolts did not pass this.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Yeah, I plan to give the suspension a good going over when I get home. Time to replace all the bushings, etc. anyways.

EAB

Observer
I think I need to be educated......

In trying to eliminate the pulling to the right, I have had my 2007 FG aligned twice with no real improvement. The alignment was supposedly done to both the front and rear axle and, in looking at the alignment results it is well within specs. Not being super familiar with this, just because the front/rear alignment are within spec, does that mean there is no reason to align the rear axle? Or is the rear axle first "aligned" to the chassis then aligned to the front axle?

I am running ATW parabolic, should one use different alignment specs than those for a stock FG?

Thanks for any help,
Eric

pugslyyy

I think I need to be educated......

In trying to eliminate the pulling to the right, I have had my 2007 FG aligned twice with no real improvement. The alignment was supposedly done to both the front and rear axle and, in looking at the alignment results it is well within specs. Not being super familiar with this, just because the front/rear alignment are within spec, does that mean there is no reason to align the rear axle? Or is the rear axle first "aligned" to the chassis then aligned to the front axle?

I am running ATW parabolic, should one use different alignment specs than those for a stock FG?

Thanks for any help,
Eric

Can you post the alignment results? Particularly interested in the sideslip test results.

Also, you can quickly do the "string test" to check the alignment.

EAB

Observer
Fuso alignment results

Here you go,
If they did a side slip measurement I wouldn't know it. I read about it in the service manual but it was not clear on how it is measured ( left to the side slip measurement apparatus) nor how to adjust it.
View attachment FG Alignment 5-16.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior