Viair Mounting Locatio

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Hey guys,

I just got a new Viair 480C. I'd really like to mount it in the perfect spot opposite the fuel tank between the frame rails. It's just behind the cab, is close to power, will make plumbing fittings to each side easy, and won't steal storage space from anything else.

The only catch is that it would be about 8" above the muffler. I'm assuming it would be hot, but would it be TOO hot?

Could a heat shield be fabbed up that would adequately protect the compressor?

Yes, there are other places to mount it, they just aren't nearly as good. Storage is at a premium.

IMG_20160617_193601.jpg

Last edited:

anickode

Adventurer
Even with a heat shield, it'll get hot. Compressors generally get used while sitting still with the engine running. Plus, it's going to get absolutely caked with crap if you ever go through any mud, snow, dust, etc.

MOguy

Explorer
I would but it where it is better protected from the elements and can have plenty of air flow when using it.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I mounted mine to the bottom of the bracket that you have a charcoal canister on, but my bracket is right next to the fuel tank, not above the muffler... Could add a bracket. Or mount it inside one of your bed boxes. Come to think of it, don't you have an un-used battery tray on the front left? You could put it there if so.

Edit... I was looking at your pic wrong. Yours is the same as mine. And mine isn't that close to the muffler at all, but perhaps that's because I have a crew cab, and the muffler is under the cab more. ??

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Hey guys,

So I screwed around until the very last minute and I just stuck the thing into the spot over the muffler despite the heat..

So far, no problems at all. I realize that the thing gets hot enough to boil water on it's own, at that point I'm not sure the muffler itself is going to contribute much, especially with the rig moving.

I've aired up four rigs, idling, in about 80deg and it never tripped the overtemp switch.

I ran a switch to just behind the cab on the driver's side, and ran air hose to a regulator (it's a 200psi compressor) mounted near the switch, and then mounted an air chuck on both sides of the truck, just behind the cab.

At this point we're really happy with it and use it ALL the time. I also installed AirLift helper bags and I use them to help level the rig in camp, so even if we're not airing up (which we do a ton of too) I use it to replace the air in the bags before we move.
DSC01673.JPGDSC01451.JPGDSC01456.JPG14563412_10210314112266466_365227954486323248_n.jpg14479742_10210314111826455_4999063441316322082_n.jpg

Last edited:

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Five months on the road with constant use and still working great!

The only regret I have is not getting two of the 480C's.. E-rated baby 35's take a long time to fill. We're still only talking 15 minutes.. but 5 would be better. :ylsmoke:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you are still worried about heat, that truck isn't very loud thanks to the huge cats it has. Chop the huge factory muffler off and put a simple Thrush muffler in. I dumped my exhaust out after that little muffler in front of my RR tire. No more exhaust hitting the ditch when loading dirtbikes. Cheap, easy, fun little mod.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
If you are still worried about heat, that truck isn't very loud thanks to the huge cats it has. Chop the huge factory muffler off and put a simple Thrush muffler in. I dumped my exhaust out after that little muffler in front of my RR tire. No more exhaust hitting the ditch when loading dirtbikes. Cheap, easy, fun little mod.

I've considered this a lot.. I'll do it as soon as the stock stuff rots off, which shouldn't take long with all the sea salt where we've been.

I'm concerned about drone in the cab and lots of extra noise, but I'll cross that bridge when we come to it. The stock muffler is hilariously huge.

luckyrxc

Observer
I've had a problem with my lines freezing in the winter. Your muffler, er, uh, line warmer might be just the ticket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles