2001 Ford Ranger Build Thread

TheFutur

Adventurer
Other than tires in hopefully a few weeks there wont be a ton of major mods happening for a while.

Pricing out a rear bumper, so far metal is up to $80 and 40lbs without the swing out tire carrier haha

TheFutur

Adventurer
What size tires do you plan on going with?

265/75r16 cooper STT pro's

Measures out to a 31.9" tire.

Have been told i could probably clear 285/75r16 (33x11.5) but i want absolutely zero rub. Not to mention it will be harder on my front wheel bearings and other components.

Edit: I should add i also dislike the look of a stuffed wheel well haha

Last edited:

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
265/75r16 cooper STT pro's

Measures out to a 31.9" tire.

Have been told i could probably clear 285/75r16 (33x11.5) but i want absolutely zero rub. Not to mention it will be harder on my front wheel bearings and other components.

Edit: I should add i also dislike the look of a stuffed wheel well haha

Good choice on the tire, I strongly considered it in a 32x11.50 for my truck and x2 about the stuffed look. If you can't flex out without taking out your fenders your doing it wrong imo

TheFutur

Adventurer
Good choice on the tire, I strongly considered it in a 32x11.50 for my truck and x2 about the stuffed look. If you can't flex out without taking out your fenders your doing it wrong imo

Yeah as much as the added 1/2" of differential clearence is temping it just isnt worth the rub and added stress on my truck.

As for the tires i actually won them through the Cooper Discoverer competition on this site! Not much beats a free set of tires!

Yes I agree with tire selection. I'm going to drop down to 32x11.5. I rub when flexing.

You have a 3" body lift? I hear that's normally enough to clear 33's with no rub but i guess it differs for everyone haha

Just out of curiousity which tires are you planning on going with?

gotme1

Observer
Yes I have the body lift. Still bit of rub when under load.

Leaning towards bfg ko2 or general tire at2

TheFutur

Adventurer
The ko2's have great puncture resistance on both sidewall and tread. Personally id go with the ko2's over the at2's for that very reason.

I was gonna go with the ko2's as my next tire but these coopers fell into my lap so I'm giving them a try.

The ko2's also *look* better in mud due to the sidewall lugs. My dad is running them on his 2015 f150 and you cant even hear them on the highway!

TheFutur

Adventurer
I used to run the original ko's on my previous ford escape and they took that soccer mom suv to places it had no business being bahaha

So im definitely biased towards bfg. Other than price they are stellar! But in the end you get what you pay for

32vsnake

Adventurer
Truck looks good!

I ran 265/75/16 BFG Ko's on my 08 ranger when it had a slight torsion bar tweak and had no rubbing issues.

Also tried a 235/85/16 cooper st/maxx after the BFG's got down to 50%. Loved the st/maxx performance on the ranger but wasn't overly crazy about the appearance of the tall/skinny tire.

IMO 265/75/16 is the sweet spot for those trucks

TheFutur

Adventurer
Truck looks good!

I ran 265/75/16 BFG Ko's on my 08 ranger when it had a slight torsion bar tweak and had no rubbing issues.

Also tried a 235/85/16 cooper st/maxx after the BFG's got down to 50%. Loved the st/maxx performance on the ranger but wasn't overly crazy about the appearance of the tall/skinny tire.

IMO 265/75/16 is the sweet spot for those trucks

Yeah i was originally planning 235/85r16 but decided to go up to 265's for that reasons along with so i can see the tires when i pop my head out the window. Currently with the stock 245's i can hardly see the tires over the fender flares so the added width of the 265's will be nice for more technical terrain.

And thanks for the info on if it will rub or not! Definitely encouraging!

TheFutur

Adventurer
Got an update

Purchased a heavy duty ladder rack that wraps around my canopy... Well was supposed to...

Long story short my canopy is just a little bit to big to fit so im in the process of widening the whole rack haha

WuR9tMQ.jpg

4YLfu5P.jpg

^ bonus truck pick.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Looks like a great project and 2001 Rangers are a great platform-

Here's mine
SUNP0080_zpscadb7a1e.jpg

When I;m done moving, I'll crank up my front T-bars, the rear is already 1-1/2" higher because of new springs-

Enjoy the toy-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne