First time build. Utility bed trailer.

eevlgoose

So after seeing all the cool builds on here I got all inspired to build something. Wife and I are totally not campers, never went with our families or anything. We've started going out exploring and love it. I've gotten back into mt biking and want to explore remote areas, wife loves kayaking and after using our Tepui ett and Arab awning we love it but want the option of having a base camp and still drive around without packing everything up. We have a 3 week trip up the coast to British Columbia planned for July so that's what I'm trying to finish the trailer for. Tow vehicle will be my ram 1500 eco diesel that's getting some suspension/tire upgrades.

The main things I'm hoping to have are:
-Nice galley, fast setup.
_fridge/ freezer (our dogs eat raw frozen food)
-Lots of water storage, with pump and shower capability
-solar
-lots of space for our gear
_dedicated "closet" or clothes storage

Wife and I are both total over packers and we're bringing our 2 pups as well.

So I started looking at military trailers, used utility trailers and more on Craigslist, eBay. Looked at new stuff, looked at building from scratch.
Finally I decided to get a used pick up utility bed and adapt it. I'm fine welding up structural stuff but I hate working with flat sheet metal, and I was worried about making doors and hatches from scratch so I thought a utility bed was a good place to start.

So I found one that seemed promising down the street, only problem was I work 70h weeks when I work. So I sent the wife to check it out ;-)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Seemed like it would work, and the salvage yard was willing to cut it up so I could get it home without renting a trailer.
image.jpeg

A deal was struck and next weekend I snuck out of work to go grab the boxes and some parts.

eevlgoose

1st weekend

I got it home.
Next came unloading by myself since my trusty neighbor was gone. This was pretty rough, but with 2x6s and some patience everything works.
image.jpg
image.jpg

And I started cutting these things apart. This was hours of nasty nasty work.
image.jpg
image.jpg
But I got them cut up to where I wanted them.
The plan is for 1 side to be the pull out galley. A sliding countertop with sink and drawers underneat, attached prep table in front cabinet, slide out fridge in back cabinet, food stuffs stored above the wheel well box.

I decided to get the boxes sandblasted at this point after seeing how much nasty stuff was burning off them when I was cutting them up, and since I have to weld on to them I figured it was worth the money. They were significantly lighter loading up this time.

eevlgoose

Next.

So now that I knew the dimension of the boxes I ordered some trailer parts, 60" axle, drums, same pattern as my truck. Also ordered 2 extra rims and toyo at2's I'm getting for the truck.

I went a picked up Som 2"x2"x.125 and some 14ga for supports and started welding up the base.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Rectangular section will be 88" long, like the boxes, and I'm trying to land close in width to the truck.
I have no idea how long I should make the tongue but I'm keeping it long for now. I'm also playing with the idea of putting a rack for my dirt bike on the tongu right in front of the boxes, but I want to see what my tongue weight lands at before I do.

Got some of the first trailer parts in and started welding those on. As well as a bunch of corner tabs and such from a&a (a Greta resource for weld in bungs and tabs and such, they ship fast, even tiny orders)
https://www.aa-mfg.com

image.jpg
image.jpg

At this point I didn't like how much sway there was in the tongue/ front triangle so I decided to add in some angle to stiffen it up a little.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Much better.

I got the the axle and brakes and my sweet sweet rims and tires. Of course, I got the wrong bearings for the brakes and the axle hubs aren't the 5x5.5 I ordered :-/
But while mocking it up I discovered I need a wider axle anyways, gonna go with a 64" instead. It means I might have to cut up the wheel wells on the boxes, but so be it.

I got some sheet metal and have started patching up the boxes and will post some more pics. But that's it for now.

Any comments, good or bad are super welcome since I'm fumbling my way through this thing.
Thanks
goose

rustED

Adventurer
That's a really cool idea repurposing the utility box, I like where you're heading with this build, can't wait to see more!

eevlgoose

Socal's been hit with a terrible heat wave, it was a 114 at the house this weekend. Add to that that I'm battling the flu and I didn't really get much done. Must have been over 120* in the barn so welding wasn't all that appealing.
I did get started on patching up the boxes and got them set where I want them on the trailer, with the 30 gal water tank where I think it should go.
image.jpg
It's getting real tight in my little man cave. Gonna be tricky just pulling this thing out of here.

image.jpg
The wheels and tires and all the electrical and water parts also showed up this weekend. Gotta love Amazon prime.
Can't wait for my icon suspension to show up for my truck so I can get the same wheel/tire combo mounted on the truck as well.

Btw, anyone have any experience with this domestic dual zone fridge/freezer? Of course I'd love to b able to afford a national Luna, or even just an Engel dual zone, but that's just out of my range right now.
http://http://www.dometic.com/USA/MS-7207-Recreational-Vehicles/PG-7232-Refrigeration/PG-9749-Portable-Coolers-Freezers/MD-117719-CFX-Portable-Coolers/SK-118189-CFX-65-Dual-Zone-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer-61-Liter

Subscribed to your build, I really like how you did the frame so far. I think it's going to be a great beast of a thing when done (hopefully not too heavy). I live in BC so I can say you'll love your trip up here when you get it done! Depending on where you visit you will probably also be happy to have a bear/animal proof trailer too for your food and gear!;)

eevlgoose

Thanks Bigklittlecar. Yeah, I probably should have aimed for slightly smaller. It's pretty huge now that the boxes are on it. But then again wife and I are both pack rats so we'll see. And I def like the bear proofness of it.
I was really happy when I tried this out tonight image.jpg
I'll be bringing 3 mt bikes up to bc, all expensive, and at least having the possibility of sticking them in there makes me feel so much better. The big dh bike might need to go slightly angled in there but should fit.

eevlgoose

Got a little further tonight with more sheet metal patching and adding supports between the boxes.
I ordered a dometic 65L fridge/freezer and 3' 500 lbs locking sliders for the kitchen top/galley/sink....
Next I need to pick what batteries to get, if anyone got any favorites please feel free to share (looking for sealed, deep cycle, 100+ah for a reasonable price) got quoted 150ea for some Exide 100ah 31 group from a local place which seems decent (or am I totally wrong?)
image.jpg
image.jpg
The floor sheet metal is getting a bit warped (have I mentioned how much I hate working with flat sheet metal) my welds look pretty terrible too. But I'll throw some plywood on the floor. And when I bolt the box down to the trailer it should be fine.
I'm trying to go for watertight, but I know my welding probably isn't, and we know how annoyingly persistent water is at finding holes. I've ordered some automotive rubber seals to try out on the existing doors, they sure are neither 100% water nor dust proof. I'd like to do the whole outside with monster liner too, so I'm hoping that'll help. I'd do the inside too if it wasn't so expensive. Might just go with some Home Depot paint and primer on the inside.

eevlgoose

electrical

i've been slowly plugging away at patching more sheetmetal and adding in supports.
i need to go pick up some more steel Saturday morning.

In the meantime i tried to get a plan for the electrical system for all the accessories (not the actual trailer wiring). this system would run off 200w solar and 2x 100Ah batteries.
i drew this thing up quick n dirty over lunch yesterday.
i've never attempted to wire anything this complicated so if someone with more knowledge then me wouldn't mind taking a peek and making sure i haven't messed anything up to bad i'd really appreciate it.

thanks

g

TrailerElectricalDiagram.jpg

Attachments

• TrailerElectricalDiagram.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 5

eevlgoose

Started building up the inside a little bit and cutting some wood for the floor and pantry shelf.
Also got a start on the front hatch.
New axle showed up so i finally got the wheels on. Gonna try to pull it out this weekend, get some better pics.

IMG_6240.jpg
IMG_6258.jpg

eevlgoose

Verkstad: Tack mannen. Skaning i exil i Kalifornien.

i got the ANL fuse placement from the renogy website
KIT_PREMIUM200MB_8__60968.1460582825.1280.1280.jpg

yeah i didn't put a fuse between battery and master switch. what kind of fuse do you think i need?
i'm using this fuse box https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P6FTHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the 12-Circ w/Cover & Neg.
and this master switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00558LSJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the on/off with knob

batteries and fuse box will only be 20 cm apart. i'm putting all my components in a waterproof box above the batteries, but the master switch might be 40 cm away from the box (for easier access)
I'm hoping to start on the electrical this weekend, i'll take some pictures. thanks man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior