DIY aluminium roof rack? sure why not :D

doug720

Expedition Leader
Looks good.

One word of caution though, some silicone reacts with aluminum and will cause corrosion. Silicone can also cause threaded hardware to gall, particularly SS, which when in contact with aluminum can cause corrosion itself. Check the silicone label, or look at other sealants.

Lube the threads well with anti-seize to prevent galling.

paranoid56

Adventurer
Looks good.

One word of caution though, some silicone reacts with aluminum and will cause corrosion. Silicone can also cause threaded hardware to gall, particularly SS, which when in contact with aluminum can cause corrosion itself. Check the silicone label, or look at other sealants.

Lube the threads well with anti-seize to prevent galling.

yep, learned that one when i was younger lol. all bolts going into the alu has lots of anti-seize and the silicone said it was good for all metals.

Now the only thing i might do in the future is to pull the headliner down and do a full bolt and nut with a larger piece of metal under it to spread out the load more.

aleks77

Awesome setup, any links to the materials used? Also a photo of a pile of materials used would be great! Thanks!

Snapdive

Paranoid,

Have you tried selling these on TW?

I noticed in the Front Runner Group buy thread, a few first gen Tacoma guys wished Front runner made a roof rack..

paranoid56

Adventurer
i thought about it, but eh lol, most people dont like putting holes in their roof. where as i just dont care lol.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Awesome work. Hope to do one similar for my 1st gen tundra as there are no roof racks other than the clamp on style ones. I rather drill holes and do it like yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bmaddux

Awesome work. Hope to do one similar for my 1st gen tundra as there are no roof racks other than the clamp on style ones. I rather drill holes and do it like yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im in the same boat. Im a second gen Trooper owner and its hard to find roof racks for us. Love this idea. Is there anyway that you can describe a little deeper how are you exactly figured out the contour of your roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paranoid56

Adventurer
Im in the same boat. Im a second gen Trooper owner and its hard to find roof racks for us. Love this idea. Is there anyway that you can describe a little deeper how are you exactly figured out the contour of your roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just did it the old way lol, I had the rack done, and sitting on the roof, the brackets are flat, so you can see what the angle is, measure the angle, then i set my mill to that angle and cut it.

MOguy

Explorer
I made one for my jeep but I wanted to be able to take my top up and down.
0316183349_01_zpsomuolg0o.jpg

0317173006_zpsmrit99pw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior