tent cot brands

Bergger

Explorer
I've got a double tent cot and it is a nice alternative when we do not use the trailer. I looked at the Cabelas and Tent Cot before purchase and the domed roof in the tent cot sold me. I'm 6'2" and it is nice to be able to sit up and change clothes inside. The set up is very easy and quick. The padding inside is not enough in my opinion for a good night sleep. I use a 4" self inflating mattress and it is heaven! As far as storing bedding inside I find that it does close up with extra padding. I just roll up the 4" pad and stuff my bag in the stuff sack. In cold climates you will get some condensation as the fabric is not breathable. Just keep a hand towel next to you so you can wipe down the ceiling in the morning. Keeping the windows open helps if it is warm out. I've used mine in torrential storms and it keeps me nice and dry.

atavuss

Adventurer
rusty_tlc said:
A question for those of you who own these.
Do you pack the bedding/sleeping bag inside?
I hear a lot of recomendations to add thicker foam, how does it pack when you do that?

I pack sleeping bag and thermorest pad seperate.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I pack the bedding seperate which isn't a problem and with an air mattress it's not a bad set up.

If anyone wants it I will be more than happy to sell mine and will be in the San Diego area this weekend.

Just PM me.

rlwjaw

Observer
I have 2 Oversize Tent cots. I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I picked up a 1" memory foam pad at Big Lots , put a fitted sheet on it and it stays in the TC when I fold it up.
I have slept in it in the rail and heat. To solve the condensation issue ( I dont find it to be all that bad ) I rool up the end flaps and sleep with just the netting. This gives plenty of ventilation even with the rain fly on. The rain fly also adds a great deal to the warmth of the TC. If the temp is going to drop quite a bitI put the carry bag under the memory foam pad for more protection, otherwise my shoe bag goes inside it at the foot of the TC.
I keep my shoes inside in a plastic garbage bag and a pair of slippers handy for the middle of the night walk . I put a beach mat on the ground at the side door that I will be using. The beach mat is woven plastic and if there is rain it flows right through , it does not absorb water and there is no mud. This keeps my socks off the ground when I put my shoes on.
I think the tips of the poles could use some re designing. I have had them come off in the bag and only with luck found them on the ground.
I also think the plastic hihge areas will some day become a week point.
I do like the plastic clips that hold the fabric up but the stiching to the fabric looks to be week. Some reinforcement there might be prudent.
The plastic feet on the legs have seem to fall off too often. I an thinking about screwing or glueing them on or both.
The outer legs should snap or lock in place, if you move the TC they will fold under and need to be reset.
I think the Tent Cot web site says it is 11" off the ground.
I have spent over 60 nights at a time in the TC and it is VERY comfortable.
Kamp Rite has a great product.
One word of caution, do NOT put all of your weight on the rail at the side door . It WILL bend. So far I have not had to try to get any parts , I hope this will not be a problem.
Hope this helps.
******** Wentworth

atavuss

Adventurer
we used two oversized tent cots this weekend, very satisfied with them. only problem was on the dome topped unit one of the fiberglass pole ends broke off. one is the older style flat topped unit (it does have four legs though) and the other is a newer dome top.

P7120267(Small).JPG

AndrewP

Explorer
I have the Cabelas version and think it's almost perfect for a solo trip. It sets up fast, and is way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. In cold weather, a closed cell foam pad with a standard Thermarest on top makes it plenty warm.

There is no bar that's a problem, I don't understand that criticism. It's just a camp cot with a roof on it.

The condensation thing is an issue, so it pays to leave the windows open and the fly on if it's cold. In warmer weather, just leave the windows open.

CSG

Explorer
Are these TC's tippy from side to side at all? Seems like the rounded edges of the legs vs. something with individual legs might make this thing unstable?!

The domed one could be the answer to my desire to use my truck without modding it with a cap or truck tent.

atavuss

Adventurer
CSG said:
Are these TC's tippy from side to side at all? Seems like the rounded edges of the legs vs. something with individual legs might make this thing unstable?!

The domed one could be the answer to my desire to use my truck without modding it with a cap or truck tent.

the newest TC I bought this summer has plastic outriggers on the legs that make the TC more stable. we used three oversized TC's this summer on a camping trip and the ground was not level, we did not have any problems with tipping at all, which is a good thing as there was a steep bank to the lake right below where we camped. I am 6'3" and 205lbs. and sitting on the edge of the TC to get in or out it is stable.
P8020288(Small).JPG

Last edited:

yubert

Explorer
Another Cot Tent design

Has anyone tried one of these Ventura cot tents? I like the idea of sleeping off the ground but the Kamp Rite/Cableas design takes up too much space and is a bit heavy. So this looks like a nice compromise.

http://www.venturacampsystems.com/about.html

Their new model is free-standing and the original can be made to be free-standing and for $48 sounds like a deal!

Pad

Adventurer
Anyone tried the tentcot as a cheaper version of a rooftop tent?
Thought about using some type of quick-clamp to attach it once its setup, then just hang your ladder on the roof rack.
They are side enter only right?

atavuss

Adventurer
Pad said:
Anyone tried the tentcot as a cheaper version of a rooftop tent?
Thought about using some type of quick-clamp to attach it once its setup, then just hang your ladder on the roof rack.
They are side enter only right?

you could enter from either end as well but you would have to wiggle in.

b jeepin

Adventurer
double

i have recently aquired a double kamp-rite unit and as for the center bar, it provides the right support for 2 people. it is no more or less comfortable than a standard camping cot is, alot of people may prefer some padding, but i personally have had no complaints so far with just a sleeping bag.

i would say these have the most value to someone on the move, or if you have the unit fixed to your rig. they setup and takedown quick and are an ok sized for 1-2 people.

a picture of my double mounted to the roof of my xj for mock up.
IMG_5329.jpg
:sombrero:

milpigjk

This is an old thread I know. I just got one of these used and was wondering if any one has cut the legs off and used it as an RTT on a trailer while they saved for a better one?

JohnnyS

Explorer
I just used mine for a few days and wasn't too stoked about the comfort level.
I had 2 ensolite pads (military cheapies) and the 2 bars/supports were quite annoying.
I'm thinking about buying a closed cell foam pad from Cabela's to make it more comfortable.
It was really easy to set up and the bug netting was great as we had flies in the morning.
Very light and easy to toss up on the roof rack too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior