DIY mini power pack/latern on the cheap

anickode

Adventurer
I have a pile of 6v 5ah SLA batteries. They are from emergency backup lighting fixtures. We change out batteries on a 2 year PM schedule regardless of condition. Most have never been used, apart from a 2 minute monthly function test. All have been maintained on a float charge. We generally just divvy up the old batteries for projects at home.

Figured I'd do something with some of them. The light was an LED work light from Lowes that I had laying around. It is set up to run on 12 or 120v. It wasn't bright enough for my liking as a work light, but at 1200 lumens it's sufficient for a lantern. I lopped off the 120v cord and mounted it in the can. 12v plug on top for phone chargers, etc. I also threw in an old 400w inverter I had laying around, because why not? Total capacity is 12v 20ah, and total cost was $4 for the toggle switch. Everything else I already had around. I used it in the tent on our last camping trip, and it worked great for area lighting, and it kept our phones charged for days.

The whole package
20160620_160515_zpsgeopt3ze.jpg

Light on. The room is bright daylight, same conditions as the light off picture. Camera had to adjust for the bright light.
20160620_160523_zps4zmodd6o.jpg

Inside. Wire nuts are temporary till I get some bigger crimps.
20160620_160539_zpsp0udz7uz.jpg

anickode

Adventurer
Only reason i dont want to use wirenuts long term is because the Inverter is only accessed via opening the lid. Wire nuts don't do well when movement or Vibration is a factor. Not that I plan to use the Inverter much, but still.

Oh, and charging is done via the cigarette lighter plug. Either from a 2a battery tender smart charger, or from the vehicle using a male to male cig lighter style cord.

4x4junkie

Explorer
×2, nice work!

It's always good to see people building their own gear (something I practice myself quite a bit too). Usually save a good bit of $$$ that way too.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Nice set up! Been kicking around a similar idea but using a slightly larger motorcycle sized AGM battery.

anickode

Adventurer
Awesome build!

USB's?

Wade

Thought about it... and adding a second switch to toggle them on and off, since they have a small parasitic drain when left powered. But then it wouldn't be a $4 power supply anymore. :p

I just keep a 2 port USB charger and a micro USB cord inside the can in a Ziploc baggie. Works fine for me.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
Nice.
I am building a similar of a briefcase & a couple LED floodlights. Maybe on telescopic masts if I get real ambitious.
Six 7ah 12v AGMs will fit just right, leave enough room to fit the lamps & coiled cable to deploy remotely lamps as needed.
Just to pissoff the 'Expotards, I am going to leave mine all hooked up with Wirenuts.

Should we expect a holy war like one about crimping and soldering?

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
Thought about it... and adding a second switch to toggle them on and off, since they have a small parasitic drain when left powered. But then it wouldn't be a $4 power supply anymore. :p

I just keep a 2 port USB charger and a micro USB cord inside the can in a Ziploc baggie. Works fine for me.

I really like that you did this for $4.00!

anickode

Adventurer
I really like that you did this for $4.00!

My wife calls me a pack rat... but I have yet to not find something truly useful purpose for the stuff I save. To build an identical one with all new stuff probably would have easily cost $150

Darkrider

Adventurer
What i like about it is that it is modular. So one could easily build a similar set up for well under $100 using new parts by say starting with a pair of those batteries, an old fog or driving light and an ammo can.

anickode

Adventurer
What i like about it is that it is modular. So one could easily build a similar set up for well under $100 using new parts by say starting with a pair of those batteries, an old fog or driving light and an ammo can.

I've seen these type of batteries on clearance at Walmart for under 10 bucks each. Usually in the hunting department at the end of hunting season. They are frequently used in game feeders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier