1979 CJ7 QuadraTrac Build

• Thread starter Deleted member 96197
  • Start date

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input, I don't actually plan to tow anything regularly with it, maybe the occasional utility trailer, Jeeps are certainly not made for hauling much.

I doubt I ever hit a 1/2 ton with any of mine. An M416 is a perfect match (450-550# as I recall) size wise for this style Jeep, and if it's hauling camping stuff 500# of cargo would be a real accomplishment. To me anyway.

unkamonkey

Explorer
If you are going to get a winch you might want to reinforce the rear area a bit. I about pulled the rear bumper and cross member off of my 3B with a 8,000 winch. I quit when I figured those sounds from back there weren't right.
You are doing a nice job.

D

Deleted member 96197

If you are going to get a winch you might want to reinforce the rear area a bit. I about pulled the rear bumper and cross member off of my 3B with a 8,000 winch. I quit when I figured those sounds from back there weren't right.
You are doing a nice job.

Thanks, this was a lot more along my lines of thinking. I don't have any photos at the moment, but I think I came up with a fairly overbuilt rear crossmember option, that will keep a smiliar to stock look, but some solid reinformcement.

D

Deleted member 96197

Not logging progress really well, but a few updates
Frame support is done, body mounts are squared away, and the tank is in
attachment.php

Decided to tap threads in to a strip for the rear of the gas tank skid so the bolts can be run upward and come out (if needed) without having to worry about any welds rusting apart over time.
Started running new fuel and brake lines.
attachment.php

(you can see the worst of the body mount fixes there)
Then i scored this
attachment.php

I was searching for a low range box, but I ended up finding a complete BW1339 with low range and a MM selectable 4wd kit, the chain has good tension, but I'm going to pull it apart and reseal it since it's already out of the truck and it'll give me piece of mind.

very cool

Love it an haven't heard much about the quadra-trac in years. I owned and old 77 cj-7 golden eagle as my first ever 4x and like your first ever serious girlfriend you never forget. Here it is parked on the beach south of Big Sur , north of San Simeon around 1978 on a surf expedition.

Attachments

• jeep golden eagle5.jpg
    jeep golden eagle5.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 18
D

Deleted member 96197

Love it an haven't heard much about the quadra-trac in years. I owned and old 77 cj-7 golden eagle as my first ever 4x and like your first ever serious girlfriend you never forget. Here it is parked on the beach south of Big Sur , north of San Simeon around 1978 on a surf expedition.

Very cool, there is just something about the simplicity of those old jeeps that just looks so good.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Ahhh, to have enjoyed the central coast in the 70s! Must have been amazing! My first taste of surfing was on Kauii in '81. The bug didn't really take hold until a few years later. I remember the early days exploring in my '81 Toyota 4x4 pickup. Wish I could go back and buy that retirement acreage when it was worth beans!!

D

Deleted member 96197

I just got done rebuilding a QT for my 77 Cherokee (FSJ) BJ's carries the seal kit, chain and even stocks repro clutch cones. They also have replacement chains for the part time kit.
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/

Curly

Thanks, I'm looking at their vacuum switch because mine is gone, I don't really want to come off of $65 after shipping for a single switch though, if anyone has used a 3rd party vacuum switch i'd be interested to hear your experience. i finished the rebuild, but no need for clutches as the box i rebuilt has a MM part time conversion, and checks out with less than a 1/4" of play.

D

Deleted member 96197

Couple Updates:
While cleaning up the fuel lines I managed do this with a razor blade... Remember, always cut toward your chum, not your thumb...
attachment.php

And due to too much rain, and the fact I don't currently have a garage, shes spent too much time like this
attachment.php

The craigslist gods have been smiling on me, although my DD isn't the most spacious
attachment.php

attachment.php

And they call this painless, but looking at it makes my head hurt
attachment.php

After installing a few lockrights in the past, the spartan was a welcome change, boy are these easy
attachment.php

The guys at TNT Customs got these to me quick and with a good military discount
attachment.php

attachment.php

I went with the TNT Rocker panels, because the are nice and simple, which matchest the rest of the build, but they are beffy 1/4" panels that tie in to the body mount points, since mine were a little chewed up with rust, I am replacing the sheet metal with some C-Channel or 1x2" rectangular tubing, and just making the rocker panels a part of the body, so it should be considerably stronger than it was originally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles