Tepui Tent Review - Kukunam Ruggedized

mountainkatt

I am not affiliated with Tepui, nor was I granted access to this tent for the reason of review. My husband and I have been researching different brands and styles of RTTs for a little over a year. When a local shop brought a few options in, we finally threw all that research into the wind and pulled the trigger on a Tepui Ruggedized Kukunam. We have the anti-condensation mat under the 2.5” foam mattress. The tent got a trial by fire as we left a short 4 days later for an 8,600km overland trip through varying climates and elevations. We spent a night in the snow in Canada outside of Lake Louise, a week in the high desert in Utah, and ‘slept’ through a 96 km/h windstorm at the Grand Canyon to name a few. It was set up in the dark, in the daylight, in the rain, in -15 degrees celcius, in the wind and on the ground.

Set-up and usage:
Getting the TRK on the roof rack of our jeep proved to be a simple process. The tracking rails were already attached to the bottom as it was set up in the store. We simply had three men lift it onto the roof rack and aligned the bolts. Eight nylock nuts later, it was secured. Three men were required as our roof rack on a lifted jeep already sat at seven feet tall.

Once home, we set the tent up with our sleeping gear inside to save space in our jeep. Our sleeping system consists of two sleeping bags, two fleecy blankets, two thin bag liners and two pillows. I folded each of these in half so they sat just short of the ‘bend’ of the tent floor. With the sleeping gear inside the tent, it was a little harder to close up, but not impossible. Some days, if I didn’t fold everything just flat enough, it required me hanging off of it to tighten the side retaining straps.

The thing about the ladder:

Read the instructions carefully. Seriously. It’s not that hard but it’s a really great way for your tent to feel floaty and to pinch toes in the spare steps if you don’t set it up right. The ladder must be extended all the way first. I put the bottom down and then go under the tent and start collapsing the spare steps from the TOP step down. Usually I just need to do two but it will depend on the height of your vehicle.

The thing with the elastic straps:
I couldn’t find mine at first. Once I did… hallelujah. The four elastic straps with clip ends are attached to opposite walls before you close it. It certainly helps to pull the tent fabric in. So don’t misplace those.

The weather:

In the snow, we left the windows toggled closed and only unzipped a small section of each window. There was a great deal of condensation on the walls in the morning, but it dried out quite well and there was none present under the mattress. Twice we set up and slept up in wind in excess of 95 km/h. My husband slept fine. I felt like I was sleeping in a boat. This is in part due to our vehicle being quite off-road capable (read, soft suspension). The rain fly snapped around a bit in the wind, but the bendy poles held up with no struggle. The fabric of the tent shed snow and rain with zero effort.

A note to the short:
I hope your vehicle is closer to the ground that mine. I currently stand on the tires, door frames, window frames, and even right up on the roof rack to sit on the tent if I have to close it by myself. It’s not impossible, but I have tumbled from the jeep at least once. My tire carrier must be open for me to get close enough to the back of the vehicle to pull the ladder down, but it’s not the end of the world for me to stand on the hitch. Conversationally, if you have a tall vehicle like a lifted jeep, having specific fender flares (like the Metalcloak ones I lust after) that you can stand right on (and boy can you!) would make getting it up and down much easier.

Pros:
At 5’ 3” I was still able to set up the tent on my own (but I do use my jeep as a jungle gym to accomplish this)
Quick set-up (sub 3 minutes)
Most comfortable camping experience in a long time
Condensation dries out quickly
Easy to take off the roof in needed
Seams are sealed well, no gaps
Zippers are sturdy

Cons:
Didn’t see the elastic straps to pulls the tent fabric in until half way through the trip. It would have made folding in down a lot easier from the beginning.
It’s hard to zip the stiff rubberized cover in -15 celcius because it freezes pretty solid.
Collapsing the ladder for storage on top the tent is difficult if you’re not seven feet tall

Summary:
I would recommend this tent (and it’s price point) to those looking to use a quick set up, soft sided RTT. It’s roomy, comfortable and stands up in weather at varying climates and altitudes. I look forward to seeing how it holds up over the year and a summer of hard use.

13254166_10153717977341795_8436429906012819469_n.jpg

12670671_600972453390635_4114177050147141429_n.jpg

12049360_600299673457913_8420817671228703258_n.jpg

billum v2.0

Well written review, Katt

Couple questions:

Where did you find the elastic cords to pull the fabric together when collapsing tent (haven't found ours yet)?
Box Rocket and others caution against using them as the tension may cause some seam issues, would you address your experience to date?
When you experienced the high winds, did you stake the '"unattached" half of the tent down or was it free floating other than the ladder? Curious if you experienced the tent trying to fold at the hinge in those high of winds. I noticed several D rings mounted to the underside of the "ladder" half of the floor, assumed they were tie down points.

dman93

Adventurer
I recently bought a non-ruggedized Kukenam camo. We had borrowed a Gran Sabana for a 4 or 5 day trip a few months ago, and had a mixed experience, but after looking at alternatives, decided to pull the trigger on our own, new, Tepui. We just got back from another 4 day trip and so far it's all positive, though, like anything, there's a learning curve in setup, usage, and packing up. Perhaps because it's smaller, or just increased familiarity, but the new tent seems easier to unpack and repack than the Gran Sabana. We had severe winds with the GS and it was extremely noisy and, while it didn't come close to actually folding, the ladder would unweight and come off the ground, even with two of us in the tent. With the Kukenam, we had some stiff breezes and it was much quieter and more secure, but I suspect that's mostly because the wind was much less, not because of size, design and wind resistance. Time will tell ...

The third thing that made us hesitant to actually buy an RTT was going up and down the ladder in the night. That has become pretty straightforward, and in fact for me, I think it's easier than crawling stiffly out of a ground tent. As you may surmise from that and the need to use the ladder at night, I'm not young :)

Regarding bungees and tie-downs ... when I picked it up and had it installed (at Tepui in Soquel) I was told that the bungees are for hanging things inside, and not needed to pull in the sides. I didn't use them, and was able to tuck the excess fabric in by hand easily as I zipped the cover on. And similarly, I was told that the big D-rings near the corners of the platform are also for hanging things, not to tie down the tent to ground stakes, though I suppose you could use them for that. BTW, our bungees were packed in a small bag with 10mm and 13mm wrenches, a nice touch.

The only "concern" so far is that we did have more condensation than I expected, on our last night camping at around 7000 ft with nighttime lows in the 40's. Humidity was low, so I didn't think it would be an issue, but when I folded the tent to pack it up, there was quite a bit of moisture along the aluminum hinge extrusion and the mattress cover was damp. I'd like to avoid the bulk and weight of the anti-condensation mat but I'll keep an eye on this.

Kevin108

Explorer
My RTT is the same way, but I am curious as to your choice: why did you set it up to open over the back?

2016-04-07%2018.46.30.jpg

mountainkatt

@billum v2.0
My elastics were tucked under the mattress. The tent was set up in the parts store here, so some of the pieces had been unpacked to set up for display.

We actually didn't stake down. It's the third photo above, in the campsite at Grand Canyon, where we got 96km/hr winds. I chose to not open the windows. We didn't find any issues with the unattached side of the tent. Some of that may be just weighting it down. My husband in 6ft tall, and my clothing bag usually ends up at the end by my feet. Either way, we didn't find any issue with it.

@dman93
I find the anti-condensation mat worth it's weight in gold. And we still manage to get our full sleeping system folded into the tent without much extra bulk.

@kevin108
Our roof rack, the Garvin Adventure Rack, is quite wide. The tracks fit best that direction (and were already attached). We are going to consider opening over the side. I suspect that will fix the 'sleeping in a boat' feeling that I get in high winds with the soft off-road suspension.

Conversationally, the opening over the back does offer a nice secluded area out of the rain, and I can easily open the rear hatch of the jeep (window comes short of the tent bottom) and cook inside the rear in inclement weather without purchasing an awning.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Great review and thank you for sharing your experience!
A couple of comments that may be helpful for others. First, regarding the interior bungees, they are intended for pulling in the fabric when folding the tent, although you can use them for hanging things inside if you like. For the record, I just suggest being careful when using them as the tension on the seams can cause some separation over time. That doesn't mean *don't* use them, but just be mindful of the tension.
The d-rings around the base are there for hanging things like a shoe basket but also for staking down the tent in high winds. I've needed to stake mine down several times in some nasty wind and it makes a big difference. I don't actually stake it into the ground but I just use a couple ratchet straps that I hook to the sliders/bumper on my truck, or I use them to hook back to the trailer if I'm using the tent on the trailer. But do what works best for you.
@mountainkatt, great description of using the ladder. The ladder can be a little tricky for some to figure out but your description is exactly right and getting the ladder set properly makes a big difference in stability of the tent as well as safety in going up and down the ladder.
Again, thanks for the review on your tent! We love hearing feedback, good, bad or otherwise. Keep on camping! #teamtepui

Josh013

Glad to see good things about these tents as I've been looking into the kukenam camo tent. I saw anothe review somewhere and a guy said he used the bungies when out camping for quicker folding but when he got home/ for storage he took them off and folded it to save the seams. That's probably the way I'd do it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94