4x4 ambulance in Denver

emetdw

Nice find, I've always wanted a 4x4 ambulance especially because the box is reinforced and made to protect the occupants in case of rollover, something that would obliterate most standard campers.

D

Deleted member 9101

Nice find, I've always wanted a 4x4 ambulance especially because the box is reinforced and made to protect the occupants in case of rollover, something that would obliterate most standard campers.

Never thought abut that. Definitely nice to know.

patoz

Expedition Leader
$17,300.00 for a 1995 with 140,000 miles on it, and a Quigley conversion... I wonder what he's smoking?

Maybe, if it had a U-Joint conversion with new wheels and tires included, but otherwise no how, no way!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
$17,300.00 for a 1995 with 140,000 miles on it, and a Quigley conversion... I wonder what he's smoking?

Maybe, if it had a U-Joint conversion with new wheels and tires included, but otherwise no how, no way!

I didn't think the price was that out of line from others I've seen. Is it just that the ambulance conversions are worth less?

patoz

Expedition Leader
I didn't think the price was that out of line from others I've seen. Is it just that the ambulance conversions are worth less?

1. The mileage is not that bad for a diesel, but it's 21 years old.

2. The history as an ambulance is unknown, but unless it was superbly maintained by the original agency and by the subsequent owners, I can almost guarantee you every bushing, bearing, tie rod end, steering linkage, and grommet, is worn slap out. The cab interior needs new seats or at least recovering, and the carpet needs to be replaced also.

3. There are no pictures of the engine compartment, but the rest of it looks like it has been 'rode hard and put up wet'. If it's the same way, the new owner can look forward to some knuckle breaking work in that cramped space.

4. Quigley conversions are widely known for their problems and rough ride, unlike the U-Joint conversions. More than likely this would have to be replaced if a person was planning on doing any serious off-roading.

5. And these are just the things I can see from the pictures...

Each one of these is not that bad in itself, but when you put it all together, along with the unknown problems, you get quite a list. So when you already have almost $20,000.00 invested in it, by the time you add taxes, registration, tags, etc., the cost of just getting it back up to an acceptable baseline standard is pretty high, and you haven't even started on doing your on customization yet.

There are a lot of used ambulances, on the market in better condition, for under $10,000.00. Add 4x4 and the range goes up some, but not drastically.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
If $17K buys that I'll put mine up for $30K and and have it sold by tomorrow(inmymind)!

And I love the way he glosses right past the fact that the front drivers corner of the box is smashed all to bejeezus by saying "doesn't affect anything". Good grief. Rates right up there with guys that buy, and then run out of gas for the project right about the time the box gets gutted, and still want top dollar by trying to paint that as advantage by calling it a "blank canvas".

Not to me man. Those interiors hold way too much potential to have it gutted out from under you. "Maybe" if all the bits and pieces are included, but otherwise it isn't a blank canvas worth a premium, it's just an empty box.

Man, me and soap boxes. Got to work on that problem.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Yep! And Tom you would know, considering all of the money and work you have put into yours.

I don't even keep track except at tax time. Otherwise I delete that bit of info from my head, or I'd be crying in my beer during every "project". I learned a long time ago I either want to do something, or I don't. If you run a cost analysis on things like this it is almost NEVER a winning proposition from a money standpoint, so if I look at it that way it doesn't happen.

I don't do stuff because it makes money sense, I do it because I want to do it, and cost be damned. Within reason of course. Odds are I'd never get my money back I've invested in this thing, and that's not even including "labor". I'm building what "I" want. The only way it works out money wise is if you do it like Chris and get paid to build someone else's dream, not your own.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, I've already got more invested in electrical components than I paid for the entire vehicle. It adds up quickly!

But, if it doesn't cool off and stop raining, mine is never going to get finished! Our heat index is 95° right now!

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Yep, I've already got more invested in electrical components than I paid for the entire vehicle. It adds up quickly!

But, if it doesn't cool off and stop raining, mine is never going to get finished! Our heat index is 95° right now!

Speaking of sunny florida. Hows the Tampa area for puttin down roots? It could happen! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior