New, slow build. Do all 2015 Ram Cummins turbo diesel. 37s and 550hp.

mikeindustries

Navigator of life
3.42 is the only option from the factory in a 4th gen auto with Cummins.

After doing some calculations, I might actually get a nitro gear 4.30 package.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Your right. I was thinking about my Scout for some reason.

How bogged down is your rig running 37s and the 3.42s?

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Yes. Your right. I was thinking about my Scout for some reason.

How bogged down is your rig running 37s and the 3.42s?

Depends which tune I'm on.

My lower power tunes are more responsive, my 550hp tune bogs a lot because the turbo lag is pretty ridiculous.

4.30s and a built trans will be fun.

adventr

Adventurer
That's a bummer about the Yukon gear failure. That's what I'm currently running in mine.

I went with 4.88 gears and 37s and wouldn't change a thing. Not sure what your OD ratio is, but with mine i'm running 1950rpm @ 70mph.

Had 35's with the stock 3.73 gears and the 4.88/37s tows and drives so much better. Just something to consider if you're on the fence about ratios.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
That's a bummer about the Yukon gear failure. That's what I'm currently running in mine.

I went with 4.88 gears and 37s and wouldn't change a thing. Not sure what your OD ratio is, but with mine i'm running 1950rpm @ 70mph.

Had 35's with the stock 3.73 gears and the 4.88/37s tows and drives so much better. Just something to consider if you're on the fence about ratios.

I'm sure there's plenty of guys out there with Yukon stuff that works, don't feel bad.

If the 4.30s aren't available I'll get 4.56

XplorinMegacab

Sick rig bro!!! Small world! Dom is actually a very good buddy. We had a range day with his bro and other Guns Direct people at Burro last week.
Dom also helped me with negotiations on my Megacab Cummins last year.

I had asked him for input on a bed rack just a few days ago and he texted me pics of your truck. I've been browsing camper shells/ truck racks/ dodge/Cummins overland builds and stumbled on your post on the Dodge thread on here.

I'm getting married next week so all my funds Have been directed towards that. All truck mods/upgrades have been halted til after.

Current setup (not much):
Thuren overlands on his 3" coils
Method double standards w/ Toto mt 315/70
Yakima crossbars and Thule basket

Plans within the next few months:
-Thuren Kings
-lights
-rock sliders
-rack? Or shell with custom contractor style rack?
I'm torn between a custom bed rack and a camper shell. I know the rack is way stronger but a shell better suits our needs considering we like to go backpacking and have gear in the rig for a few days at a time.
I'm not aiming for a crazy boogie setup but more so for overlanding.
I read on DTX that Sage Carli runs a Snugtop with sportmans upgrade (extra layers of fiberglass). One complaint which was mentioned was the shell sliding but was fixed by Bolton get it to the sides. And a cracked window frame which was taken care of by Snugtops lifetime warranty and reinforced with a few extra bolts around the window frame.
Apparently it's been boogie rated ever since. I couldn't find anywhere else online about it getting destroyed.

Anyways, I'll be following this build!

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Sick rig bro!!! Small world! Dom is actually a very good buddy. We had a range day with his bro and other Guns Direct people at Burro last week.
Dom also helped me with negotiations on my Megacab Cummins last year.

I had asked him for input on a bed rack just a few days ago and he texted me pics of your truck. I've been browsing camper shells/ truck racks/ dodge/Cummins overland builds and stumbled on your post on the Dodge thread on here.

I'm getting married next week so all my funds Have been directed towards that. All truck mods/upgrades have been halted til after.

Current setup (not much):
Thuren overlands on his 3" coils
Method double standards w/ Toto mt 315/70
Yakima crossbars and Thule basket

Plans within the next few months:
-Thuren Kings
-lights
-rock sliders
-rack? Or shell with custom contractor style rack?
I'm torn between a custom bed rack and a camper shell. I know the rack is way stronger but a shell better suits our needs considering we like to go backpacking and have gear in the rig for a few days at a time.
I'm not aiming for a crazy boogie setup but more so for overlanding.
I read on DTX that Sage Carli runs a Snugtop with sportmans upgrade (extra layers of fiberglass). One complaint which was mentioned was the shell sliding but was fixed by Bolton get it to the sides. And a cracked window frame which was taken care of by Snugtops lifetime warranty and reinforced with a few extra bolts around the window frame.
Apparently it's been boogie rated ever since. I couldn't find anywhere else online about it getting destroyed.

Anyways, I'll be following this build!
I was trying to make the range day last week but family stuff came up unfortunately. I had heard about you though because we were discussing how hes going to (your?) Wedding next weekend.

If you dont mind the look of the camper shell, go that route. I would have if it wasnt for the spare tires. Its nice to have the rear stuff secure. You can still mount a roof top tent to the camper shell, as long as you get one thats meant to be load bearing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

XplorinMegacab

Yup! He'll be attending!
He had mentioned you were supposed to go, so I kept an eye out but didn't see the truck.

I'm so torn between the two looks...
A rack with open bed and custom fabbed fitting for all gear, highly functional and way more heavy duty or the clean SUV look given by a shell, can be just as functional, not as heavy duty but will work perfectly for needs.

I still haven't seen a cummins with a custom rack in person yet. Just the usual Tacos.
I'm sure once I see your truck in person I'd want one myself 😂

Are you his weld guy in Fontana?
Awesome work btw. Wish I had the skill to fabricate as I please.

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Yup! He'll be attending!
He had mentioned you were supposed to go, so I kept an eye out but didn't see the truck.

I'm so torn between the two looks...
A rack with open bed and custom fabbed fitting for all gear, highly functional and way more heavy duty or the clean SUV look given by a shell, can be just as functional, not as heavy duty but will work perfectly for needs.

I still haven't seen a cummins with a custom rack in person yet. Just the usual Tacos.
I'm sure once I see your truck in person I'd want one myself

Are you his weld guy in Fontana?
Awesome work btw. Wish I had the skill to fabricate as I please.

I am not his weld guy. I took some pictures of a leer setup you might like. We installed it today at work on an f250.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
5a5f693a9958d314757d0381ba47aa62.jpg

f732904511f66488e45ea1905e558d22.jpg

5ba799a3de08b8d187639f7a56f2b149.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtrewartha

Observer
Randomly ran across your thread finally, Trophycummins! Very nice build, man... Great setup for where you live and travel. Two things:

1. Any chance you could grab me a picture of your trimmed pinch welds? I'm sick and (*@^#@(*$ tired of it and I'm gonna trim mine too haha.
2. Does your Thuren sway bar rub at full lock with the 37s? Mine are rubbing on both the stock sway bar and the radius arms if I crank all the way (although the arms are no biggie).

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Randomly ran across your thread finally, Trophycummins! Very nice build, man... Great setup for where you live and travel. Two things:

1. Any chance you could grab me a picture of your trimmed pinch welds? I'm sick and (*@^#@(*$ tired of it and I'm gonna trim mine too haha.
2. Does your Thuren sway bar rub at full lock with the 37s? Mine are rubbing on both the stock sway bar and the radius arms if I crank all the way (although the arms are no biggie).

1) regarding the pinch weld: literally everyone asks me for these pictures. And I tell everyone the same thing, you'll have to trim more or less depending on your wheels backspace.

Trimming the pinch weld is super easy. Pull the liner forward, and cut with die grinder or plasma cutter. I think we cut about 10" off of mine.

2) my truck doesn't rub anything, but this goes back to the offset of your wheels. I have 0 offset wheels so they stick out more, so I had to trim the fenders a good bit, but it's not anywhere near my sway bar or radius arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94