4.9L I4 4M50 TURBO DIESEL longevity?

tamangel

Adventurer
How long would the Fuso (in an 2007 FG140) motor w/ proper ( fleet) maintenance be expected to last? Over 300K? Also are they rebuildable? or what other engines can be swapped out?

Mike W

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The 4M50 is pretty bullet proof, so it should be good for a lot of miles.
Having said that, it is always difficult to know how hard the motor has been driven. If it were an owner/driver I would expect that it had been driven more gently than any fleet vehicle, where the driver gives little or no regard to the longevity of the vehicle.
If you are looking at buying a vehicle with over 300K on the clock, be mindful that all of the drive train has gone that distance too. Pretty much anything is rebuildable.

DzlToy

Explorer
I have over 280,000 miles (dont remember exactly) on an FE140 and it runs fine, now that the stupid exhaust gas heat exchanger has been removed

Gets 15-20 MPG (US) depending on speed and load.

I could not find Mean Time to Overhaul, B10 or B50 for the 4M50, but a call to the dealer may garner that info, since it can be difficult to obtain on the clear web.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have over 280,000 miles (dont remember exactly) on an FE140 and it runs fine, now that the stupid exhaust gas heat exchanger has been removed

What did you notice after the delete? Seems like mine runs a bit cooler now.

DzlToy

Explorer
Gauge stays dead center no matter what I do. Since it does get used in traffic when it's 100* F outside and I don't a complete history on the vehicle, the fan clutch was modified to turn continually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles