Cooper Discoverer STT PRO - Deep Look

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
002_zpsrtcttpmt.jpg

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
My friend has the stt pros in a 31x10.50 on his Xj and they have been amazing for him, little noisey on the highway compared to my ******** cepek fun countrys but in thick mud they out do mine 2 to 1. They're also one of the best looking tires out imo. When my 31's wear out I have full intentions of getting the coopers in a 32x11.50

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
While I love the ******** Cepek Fun Country design, the STT PRO is an impressive tire. As you note, a very sharp looking tread and sidewall. :)

Stryder106

Explorer
Hey Guys - I'm in the market for a set of tires and have been researching my butt off on what to get. I live in SoCal, and my rig is also my daily driver (2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4wd NFE). I was pretty convinced on getting these Cooper's as they sound great, but then a few things happened:

1) Cooper was manufacturing the Pro Comp tires (which I currently have - the X-Treme Terrain's that they no longer make) and they wear like crap and won't stay balanced (Pro Comp is going to warranty them out) - in all fairness they have performed pretty great in all of the terrain we have been in (sand, silt, rock, dirt, mud) - well due to these types of issues - Pro Comp fired Cooper and pulled their molds to Maxxis - now the quality is so good that Pro Comp is now offering a full 60K 100% warranty on them. However, they don't make my tire anymore, the new AT Sport is a street tire and their MT2 tire - I'm not a fan of the sidewall.

2) Recent comments (increasing in frequency) out on the internet are starting to complain about the Cooper Discovery STT Pro and how it wears and that it won't stay balanced (my exact same issues with my current tires).

I'm wondering if you guys are starting to see these issues now that folks should be getting some use on them.

Also, I'm heavily considering the new General Tire Grabber x3. I am even consider the General Tire Grabber Red Letter - as that was born and bred in my terrain. Any input you guys have on those two - or other considerations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently running 285/70-17 but moving to a 35x12.50-17.

Thanks

OSV

Adventurer
2) Recent comments (increasing in frequency) out on the internet are starting to complain about the Cooper Discovery STT Pro and how it wears and that it won't stay balanced (my exact same issues with my current tires).

link?

Stryder106

Explorer

Multiple sites - Jeep forums, Full-size Truck forums, Cummins forums, the comments are starting to show up. As for the manufacturing change - I do global supply chain for a living, I spoke with someone I know who is connected to all of this and he let me know about the Pro Comp molds being pulled and moved to Maxxis and the reasons for it.

Believe - I'm disheartened by this and would love for it to not be true as I was all set and ready to buy 5 of them based on the initial reviews.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I like my STT PRO, but for daily-driver rig—heck almost any rig other than a dedicated toy—I'd rather have a less aggressive tire for all around use... Discoverer S/T MAXX, ******** Cepek Fun Country, something like that.

Last edited:

Stryder106

Explorer
o.k., to summarize: not even one single link, and you don't own the stt pro.

OK - to summarize: I'm not going to go add links to 10 different discussion forums where the comments are starting to show up. As I EXPLAINED, the comments about balance and fast wear are very recent. The early comments were all extremely positive as are most of the current ones. But that's most, not all. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to those comments given my current experience with my Pro Comp X-treme Terrain tires with fast wear and balancing issues that were made by Cooper.

As for the manufacturing comment - please re-read: I SPOKE WITH SOMEONE I KNOW who is connected to this - so there is no link to post.

I did see a set of Discoverer STT Pro's on Saturday - a REALLY good looking tire. I want them, but I'm gun shy given the recent comments I've seen.

So - do you own them? Are you running them? Do you have experience with them? I ASKED a QUESTION - have ANY of you guys seen similar comments or if you have them, are you starting to experience any negative performance? It's a simple question - and it does NOT require a link. either you are, or you aren't. Period.

Poohbah

I have them on my Ford F-250 SD. I just rotated for the second time at 10,000 miles. Now, I have a little wobble at 60-62 mph. No biggie, but if it stays after the next rotation, I'll re-balance. Seems like maybe it's just a one tire issue. These tires are great on the ranch with the rocks and mud. Couldn't be happier with that side. The 50 miles they spend on pavement everyday are a little noisy, and now, a little wobbly compared to the stock Michelins they replaced. All and all, I'm a happy camper.

Stryder106

Explorer
I have them on my Ford F-250 SD. I just rotated for the second time at 10,000 miles. Now, I have a little wobble at 60-62 mph. No biggie, but if it stays after the next rotation, I'll re-balance. Seems like maybe it's just a one tire issue. These tires are great on the ranch with the rocks and mud. Couldn't be happier with that side. The 50 miles they spend on pavement everyday are a little noisy, and now, a little wobbly compared to the stock Michelins they replaced. All and all, I'm a happy camper.

Poohbah - thank you for the reply. That little wobble starting is my concern - that's exactly how my Pro Comp's started, except my issue developed after about 2000 miles and only got worse.

I mentioned previously that I saw someone running these on Saturday. I asked how he liked the tire and he said they are really awesome and likes them. I asked if he has noticed any issues with them and he said, "No, not yet."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier