thinking of buying a disco II

wagex

Adventurer
im looking at one for sale locally it seems really clean and taken care, and the headgaskets were replaced last fall. just wanted a second opinion on the price, because the NADA retail is 4400ish and kbb shows 2500 for private party, the most my bank would offer to loan on one is 4k.. im not getting a long im paying cash but i just wanted to know.
they are asking $6500 which i felt was a little high considering. then again it does has some mods. going to look at it saturday to make sure its in good mechanical shape.

this will not be a DD it will be a family fishing / camping vehicle that will make occasional cross country camping trips. for example we are planning on doing the alpine loop next spring which that's a 12 hour drive. but 99% of its driving will be within 20 miles of home to the river / lake. also planning on pulling my offroad camping trailer i built for my jeep which i recently sold to get something bigger because i got too many kiddo's now. lol.

its a 2001 with SD trim and 106k miles
00S0S_cYT8qqA28Ex_600x450.jpg01010_2ojaZd07xux_600x450.jpg00V0V_fxo50oyzBy9_600x450.jpg00h0h_4iLKRp3a9Gj_600x450.jpg00t0t_CdWM2q6eS3_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
That's kind of the going price for one around here in Utah. they are getting harder to find in good running condition. Prices seems to be going up on a lot of Land Rovers, unless its a Freelander.

LR Max

Local Oaf
My local shop charges MORE for a D2 that they've sorted out.

If its got all the paperwork, looks as good, and has had all of the work done to it, no dash lights, drives good, no weird noises/other crap in there, that should be a ballpark price. I would say, try to knock them down between 5500 and 6k. Should be good to go in that price range.

Oh and check to make sure the low range linkage isn't frozen...because that super sucks.

wagex

Adventurer
That's kind of the going price for one around here in Utah. they are getting harder to find in good running condition. Prices seems to be going up on a lot of Land Rovers, unless its a Freelander.

My local shop charges MORE for a D2 that they've sorted out.

If its got all the paperwork, looks as good, and has had all of the work done to it, no dash lights, drives good, no weird noises/other crap in there, that should be a ballpark price. I would say, try to knock them down between 5500 and 6k. Should be good to go in that price range.

Oh and check to make sure the low range linkage isn't frozen...because that super sucks.

thanks for the tips guys, 5-6k is kind of what i was thinking too depending on how clean it looks on the underside bits EG oil leaks and whatnot, and thanks for the tip on the 4lo linkage il be sure to test that out.

Exploder
Make sure the front driveshaft is greaseable and isn't about to grenade. That'll knock a hole in the side of the transmission.

And I hope that they aren't driving around with a Hi Lift loose in the back.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Most of the time a bone stock vehicle has much more value than one with mods - even though you are interested in them, it is going to be a turn-off to the majority of potential buyers out there.

Don't be in a hurry and negotiate. Tell the seller you are genuinely interested in and like the vehicle, but are just struggling to get close to their asking price. Being able to pay cash / show cash can sometimes make a big difference as well. You just have to be there when the Seller is finally willing to sell for what it is worth v. what they want.

Coachgeo

Explorer
I got a rusty but ok running one for sell. Well ok running if you get all the electric bugaboo's solved. Right now it wont start cause Alarm and/or other system has it immobilized. (not uncommon. but Royal PITA to solve) Yours for 700$ in OH

wagex

Adventurer
and in that same mantra, check for the center locker as well

yeah i read the 01's half have them on the transfer case but not hooked up and hte other half just dont have them so there would be a possibility of a t-case swap because id want one most likely.

I got a rusty but ok running one for sell. Well ok running if you get all the electric bugaboo's solved. Right now it wont start cause Alarm and/or other system has it immobilized. (not uncommon. but Royal PITA to solve) Yours for 700$ in OH
that's way too far for me sorry im looking for something that would take minimal work as i work 50 hours a week and wife works nights so i have all 3 kiddo's all evening i have very little time on weekends to work on stuff ontop of yardwork and stuff.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Also, find a local rover shop and pay the $75 for a pre-purchase inspection. I've heard that has saved MANY people A LOT of money.

howirolla

Campfire Passport
yeah i read the 01's half have them on the transfer case but not hooked up and hte other half just dont have them so there would be a possibility of a t-case swap because id want one most likely.

Yea get under there and make sure it has the nipple, cause doing the swap, isn't a fun job haha

wagex

Adventurer
just called dealer they said it would be $120 seems reasonable to me pretty good insurance vs getting it home and next week having to dump $1000 into repairs.

djaraceandrally

Adventuring somewhere...

If its a auto, its common for the xyz switch (yes really) to throw the main ecu into thinking your trying to start in drive. Try wiggling the auto shifter into a different position or check the plug connecting them (under the centre console) for a good connection. If it is. You can rebuild the switch.

Going back to the original poster, i cant comment on the price but overall ive found my d2 to be a great all rounder

djaraceandrally

Adventuring somewhere...
Oh, and if it has sunroofs, check the seals between the roof skin and the sunroof frame. They often breakdown and cause leaks when it rains. Easy but time consuming fix.Check the chassis above and around the rear wheels. Common rust spot on some of them when LR swapped chassis suppliers within the production line for a while

wagex

Adventurer
Oh, and if it has sunroofs, check the seals between the roof skin and the sunroof frame. They often breakdown and cause leaks when it rains. Easy but time consuming fix.Check the chassis above and around the rear wheels. Common rust spot on some of them when LR swapped chassis suppliers within the production line for a while

no sunroof's i was kind of sad at first but now i guess im kind of glad as it seems everyone has issues with them. also thanks for the tip on the rust on the rear of the chassis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94