carrying coleman fuel

Bretthn

Explorer
How do you carry your Coleman liquid camp gas for your lanterns and stoves? When I first got the dual fuel bug with an old coleman lantern I inherited I was carrying a full gallon can of fuel with me every trip. I realized that I was hardly every needing it and started fueling up at home before a weekend. This usually lasts me 2 nights. How do you carry just a small bit of fuel and what do you use for refilling without making a mess? I see MSR has fancy liquid fuel bottles but I dont like the idea of carrying a separate funnel for them. Is there an attachement for them similar to the once that attaches to the coleman gallon cans?

Brett

Junkinduck

Observer
I carry in an MSR fuel bottle with a small camp fuel funnel zip tied loosely to the loop on the cap. This will work with my Coleman gas items as well as my MSR dragonfly. A fuel safe squeeze bottle may work also. Coleman sells fuel in a quart bottle that is a little more compact that the gallon but still would benefit from a funnel.

Bretthn

Explorer
I like the idea of the funnel zip tied to the MSR lid. My only concerns with carrying a funnel are A) losing it and B) storing them after they are covered in fuel. I have seen the small coleman fuel bottles but fear the thin plastic might wear through after jostling around in the back of my vehicle for extended periods of time.

Burb One

Adventurer
Wow, how many years can you cook with that? How many gallons is your jerry can?

Regular 5 gallon.... I usually top it off up to 3 gallons and then fill it up to 3 when it gets to 1. Both lanterns and stove run on it, so i go through it, maybe fill every 4-6 months..., depending on how much camping. Really nice for those week long trips, don't have to worry about running out at all (as I used to with propane and didn't want to bring and give up the space on the interior for a 20lb)

My theory is it takes up less space and less hassle than those annoying green propane cans I used to deal with, especially now that it's on the outside of the rig. Plus, it's kind of cheaper*

*Cheaper than buying the 1lber's at the store, more expensive than refilling 1lb'ers at home, but considering my time (having to freeze the empties and put the big tank out in the sun) becomes more expensive

Last edited:

Bretthn

Explorer
Regular 5 gallon.... I usually top it off up to 3 gallons and then fill it up to 3 when it gets to 1. Both lanterns and stove run on it, so i go through it, maybe fill every 4-6 months..., depending on how much camping. Really nice for those week long trips, don't have to worry about running out at all (as I used to with propane and didn't want to bring and give up the space on the interior for a 20lb)

My theory is it takes up less space and less hassle than those annoying green propane cans I used to deal with, especially now that it's on the outside of the rig. Plus, it's kind of cheaper*

*Cheaper than buying the 1lber's at the store, more expensive than refilling 1lb'ers at home, but considering my time (having to freeze the empties and put the big tank out in the sun) becomes more expensive

Nice, it sounds like you are very fortunate to be out camping exploring that much! I wish I could justify 5 gallons of stove fuel every 4-6 months, I am affraid I barely use 2 gallons a year. But I am only burning it in a lantern.

Kevin108

Explorer
When we go into the woods, I carry two gallon cans in a milk crate in the back of my FJ. I carry a 2-burner suitcase stove, a couple lanterns, and a single-burner backup stove. I have a Coleman metal funnel I throw in the crate with the cans.

teddyearp

Adventurer
Nice, it sounds like you are very fortunate to be out camping exploring that much! I wish I could justify 5 gallons of stove fuel every 4-6 months, I am affraid I barely use 2 gallons a year. But I am only burning it in a lantern.

You do realize that dual fuel will run on regular unleaded gasoline, don't you? I have been carrying around the first can of coleman fuel I bought when I went dual fuel some 14 or so years ago. the unleaded nozzle as the gas pump just fits down inside so I can carefully refill it when needed. I bought one of those coleman funnels with the sponge and stuff in it at WalMart the same time I bought my lantern. I just keep it in the heavy duty zip lock it came with. 14 years ago. It all rides in a small milk crate with a spot for some other goodies as well in the back of my Libby.

Kevin108

Explorer
Dual Fuel lanterns and stoves will run on gasoline, but the generators foul far more quickly and I would like to minimize the number of toxins burning off around the food I'm cooking.The generators for each aren't particularly cheap though, and replacing a generator fouled by gasoline quickly eats up any savings you see from running it instead of Coleman fuel.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I had one of the little red coleman fuel containers sat in the back of my truck last roadtrip. It leaked, ill have to get a better container next time.

dfinn

Adventurer
I had one of the little red coleman fuel containers sat in the back of my truck last roadtrip. It leaked, ill have to get a better container next time.

one of these?

10099132.jpg

I just stuck a full one to keep as a spare inside my camp kitchen box last night but maybe I should re-think that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz