E350 Lower rad mount.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've noticed my rad has dropped a bit. Does anyone have any good pictures of how the lower support on an E350 van (97ish) mount is attached to the van body? The lower mount seems to move up and down 1/4"+

I think I'll have to pull off the grill, bumper, etc. and dig into it, but would like to know what I'm getting into. I don't know if something is broken or has just come loose. I'd rather not take the whole shebang apart to find why the lower mount is loose if I don't have to. I'd kick myself if I tore it all apart and then found out I could've just tightened a loose bolt and saved a days work.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There is no rust on the brackets and the bushings are in good shape. The whole lower bracket moves up and down... along with the cross bar it attaches to.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Could be... Can't see where they are. The engine bay is a bit stuffed in an E350 with a 7.3, massive alternator, front & rear A/C... Hate to think of how it'd be if it also had an intercooler.

If they'd loosened off that would explain the movement. Either that or something has broken, and I'll need to pull out the welder.

Are the bolts behind the bumper? Does the rad need to come out to access them?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm heading out of town for two days, but I have access to a van that isn't camera shy.

spurious

There's 6 bolts on each side that holds a cross member for the lower radiator support. If it's dropped you have issues. It's a pretty substantial piece.
.image.jpg
image.jpg

You can see in the last photo where it is white is the cross member.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Thanks to the pics, I'll have to look at them on the computer.

The cross member moves up and down relative to the metal beside it. I'll have to have a look around... I think I may even have a spare crossmember now that I think of it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Looking at that pic, I've got cracks partway through the cross-member on both sides of the opening. It looks like I'll need to pull the grill apart and either weld it up or see if I've got a replacement in the parts pile... No rest for the weary.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
That one worked. I agree they are different... My spare part looks like it's the top crossbar.

Time to pull out the welder... No point in digging the wrong part out of the parts stash.

What needs to be disconnected to safely arc weld on these vans? I'll likely pull the part off to repair, but it'd be good to know.

On my pre-computer truck I usually just disconnect the alternator... If anything... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz