JKU Lift/Wheel/Tire combo Sanity Check

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
You people just plain rock.

Yes, I am getting the ProCal.
I live in the gentle rolling meadows of Michigan.
I will eventually be hauling an approx 2000 pound pop-up camper.
I'm fairly sold on the BFG KO2 tires. They are a great balance of onroad and offroad.

I'm not opposed to trimming fenders but would prefer not to. Would switching to a 285/70R17 help alleviate fender rub?

Can anyone offer commentary on the wheels selected. Any issues there?

Thanks,
Don

LT285/70R17 will not rub, even disconnected at full articulation, that is the size I run. I am toying with going to LT295/70R17 after the summer is over and I chew this set up but my preferred replacement tire is not available yet in that size.

donaldj

Observer
Based on the replies here and a few other places, I think the wise bet right now is to go with the 285/70R17's for now. The $ I save on these over the 315's will help offset a better wheel choice, and when I tow the popup will work a bit better.

I'll immediately start saving for regearing, then 35's later on. I drive about 25k miles/year so this is realistically just a 3 year commitment for me. =)

Thank you all for the help! Learning from others' experiences is great.

D

jkilgore11

Adventurer
Keep us updated on your progress. I just purchased a 2016 JKU and upgraded to 285/70R17's on AEV Pintler wheels. No rubbing yet while debating on which lift to get but not much room for travel. The AEV 2.5 and OME 2.5 are on the top of the list. I would like to hear your feedback on the AEV lift. Probably won't step up to 35's for a while so my 3.73 should be fine until then.

donaldj

Observer
Keep us updated on your progress. I just purchased a 2016 JKU and upgraded to 285/70R17's on AEV Pintler wheels. No rubbing yet while debating on which lift to get but not much room for travel. The AEV 2.5 and OME 2.5 are on the top of the list. I would like to hear your feedback on the AEV lift. Probably won't step up to 35's for a while so my 3.73 should be fine until then.

Yeah, sounds like we're going the same route here.

I really like the AEV Severgne (spelling?) wheels so decided to tone down the tires and get better wheels too.

All my research says the AEV is overpriced for what you get, but that it is a more complete lift system than some of the other systems. When I started adding to some systems to have comparable 'improvement', the prices were similar. So, there's a lot of people out there comparing apples and oranges when talking about lift kits.

I'll keep this thread posted. =)

Ragman

We just put the 3.5 inch AEV lift on our JKU 2015 Rubicon along with 35 inch Cooper STT Pros. The JKU came stock 6-speed manual with 4:10s and is still ok with the 35s (mathematically near 3.73s now but I do honestly miss the feel of the 4:10s. At the moment I would call it a more relaxed ride relative to acceleration and can definitely feel the loss of power on the highway in 6th. I tend to drive now in lower gears and expect I will regear to 4.56 before long. Not mandatory now but I think it would be prudent if towing anything.

35s with stock 3.73s I think you will miss the acceleration.

bajarat

Explorer
We just put the 3.5 inch AEV lift on our JKU 2015 Rubicon along with 35 inch Cooper STT Pros. The JKU came stock 6-speed manual with 4:10s and is still ok with the 35s (mathematically near 3.73s now but I do honestly miss the feel of the 4:10s. At the moment I would call it a more relaxed ride relative to acceleration and can definitely feel the loss of power on the highway in 6th. I tend to drive now in lower gears and expect I will regear to 4.56 before long. Not mandatory now but I think it would be prudent if towing anything.

35s with stock 3.73s I think you will miss the acceleration.

Same set up as yours and I went with 4.88's. PERFECT for around town and some pretty serious wheeling.

donaldj

Observer
I got the AEV 2.5" lift kit installed on Friday last week, and had the opportunity to drive it 100 miles highway, about 2 miles dirt road, and about 200 yards offroad. It still has stock wheels and tires.

Simply put: This lift kit turns the JKU into what it should have been from the start.

The stance is more stout. It takes the JKU from 'suitable SUV' to 'capable ORV'. I know that Jeep must cater to the non-explorer crowd to get numbers high enough to mass produce, but the stock suspension gives it an anemic stance and attitude.

Handling feels slightly improved. I noticed slightly better cornering. While this is not a trait I think Jeep should focus on, it was nonetheless improved slightly. Somehow, I was able to feel more like I was 'driving a Jeep' than 'operating a motored appliance'.

Rough road and offroad was greatly improved. The suspension just plain felt like it was shielding me from the bumps and rigors of minor road and terrain features, yet somehow this didn't seem to interfere with my 'connectedness' to the vehicle.

I know this is all very qualitative and subjective and not at all scientific. Just impressions of how it 'feels' to drive the Jeep with the new lift.

And chicks say guys aren't in touch with their feelings.... =)

jkilgore11

Adventurer
Glad to hear you like the lift! Any pics?That was the feedback that I was looking for. Even though I was leaning that way, your input puts me over the edge. Our Jeep dealer is also an AEV dealer which will be good if I have any issues. Now it's time to scrape up some funds!

AEV

Supporting Sponsor - American Expedition Vehicles
I got the AEV 2.5" lift kit installed on Friday last week, and had the opportunity to drive it 100 miles highway, about 2 miles dirt road, and about 200 yards offroad. It still has stock wheels and tires.

Simply put: This lift kit turns the JKU into what it should have been from the start.

The stance is more stout. It takes the JKU from 'suitable SUV' to 'capable ORV'. I know that Jeep must cater to the non-explorer crowd to get numbers high enough to mass produce, but the stock suspension gives it an anemic stance and attitude.

Handling feels slightly improved. I noticed slightly better cornering. While this is not a trait I think Jeep should focus on, it was nonetheless improved slightly. Somehow, I was able to feel more like I was 'driving a Jeep' than 'operating a motored appliance'.

Rough road and offroad was greatly improved. The suspension just plain felt like it was shielding me from the bumps and rigors of minor road and terrain features, yet somehow this didn't seem to interfere with my 'connectedness' to the vehicle.

I know this is all very qualitative and subjective and not at all scientific. Just impressions of how it 'feels' to drive the Jeep with the new lift.

And chicks say guys aren't in touch with their feelings.... =)

Great to hear your like the 2.5" DualSport! @jkilgore11 Let me know if you have any questions. I have a stock suspension on my personal JKU and I am hoping to go with the 2" Spacer Kit for now and then eventually 3.5" with the Savagres and tire carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier