What's Your Assessment on This Little Rust - Gen III

2to4wheels

Adventurer
So I am actively in the market for a Gen III and ran across this one locally. It looks great, has under 100K miles, maintenance is up to date, body and leather look great and then there is this underneath. Would this scare you? It kind of looks like it's the paint rusting off but honestly I don't have that much experience on the patterns of rust. Give me your thoughts. Thanks.Resized952016062995074728.jpg

KgB

Observer
That amount of rust will turn regular maintenance into a pain in the *** in my opinion . After many years in the salt belt I vowed that i would never buy a vehicle like that again and I don't regret it

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

kdj

Observer
My 02 is pretty rusty. Be sure to check the rockers in front of rear tire. All that plastic cladding is a breeding ground for rust. Plus side is there's a lot of metal in these trucks.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Being from Georgia, I would pass, but I don't have to deal with that down here. Even in your area, it still seems like a lot, does the carfax show where it lived? Richmond, VA for example isn't terribly different weather wise than Atlanta, except for a little more snow. Other areas may be more salt prone, was this one at the beach for example?, I think more winter exposure, that rear tie down bar looks pretty rough, as do the rear control arms.

On my recent junkyard trip, I pulled parts from a similar condition truck, it had road salt damage, that wasn't washed properly. The rear heater box frame (right side of your picture) was just flakes, it crumbled when I tried to remove it. All the fasteners were a fight.

I guess it depends how patient you are for the next deal, and how much cleanup work you are willing to do on this one. If the rest of the vehicle, price, and maintenance is way better than others that don't have rust, then you'll have to weigh that out. I agree on the body rust potentially hiding under the rockers and mud flaps. If it is in this condition where you can see, what is it like where you can't see?

What's the name of that old rock album? "Rust never sleeps"?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Ha! That's not rust. Get a rattle can and keep it painted from now on. Don't be afraid of rust as long as you can't push your fingers through it.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Michigan people and their tolerance for rust, you guys crack me up.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I've learned to live with it, we have no choice for daily drivers. I just did the first bondo job to my truck this month. The rockers were way overdue for paint and I ended up with fist sized holes. The trucks rust overall is minor, nothing serious on the structure. I'm finishing the rockers this weekend and truck will be going for paint on the underbody & access holes on doors and frame next month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online