DEF...what's a body to do?

Olive236

Observer
A number of builders are using the newer diesel powered Fuso chassis, but...what does one do for DEF - or for that matter low sulfur fuel - when you're on the other side of the planet and the local fuel stop has what they call "diesel" and that's it? Just wondering....

Maninga

Adventurer
Have larger tanks, plan your route and take a few cans with you if you know you'll be in an area without the right fuel.

There's always the risk you have to fill up, adding good aftermarket fuel filters may help, but may just have to fill up and see what happens, putting in known stuff as soon as possible.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
A number of builders are using the newer diesel powered Fuso chassis, but...what does one do for DEF - or for that matter low sulfur fuel - when you're on the other side of the planet and the local fuel stop has what they call "diesel" and that's it? Just wondering....

At this point you have to plan your trip carefully and have a long cruise range. ULSD is gaining ground, as did unleaded fuel v. leaded - but for now, yes, it is a consideration.

Personally, I probably would not take a ULSD/DEF truck globe-trotting for another 5, maybe 10, years.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Not much one can do, other than A:Older truck, B: retrofit older engine/trans to newer truck, C: be a megamillionaire and have a fuel bowser follow you everywhere.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
...but may just have to fill up and see what happens

Sorry, I can't really agree with that logic Joe.
If you put in some crap fuel, be it with water or grunge, and that gets to your high pressure pump and/or injectors (assuming you have a common rail engine) then the damage can happen very quickly and potentially cost you tens of thousands of dollars to fix.
Good filtration is paramount on common rail engines, so I do not see additional filtration as a luxury, rather a necessity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior