The Lone Ranger Project

NuggetOutdoors

G'day all, I thought I'd post some details of my next off-road project in case someone else is interested in doing something similar.

I recently sold my 1997 Land Rover 300TDi, decided to upgrade.
I searched for a while for a dual cab ute, ended up getting a 2007 3lt turbo diesel auto Ford Ranger at a very good price. It has done 170,000klm and came with front bar, winch, side steps and a 50mm lift with all new suspension.
I do a lot of short trips (up to a week) in fairly remote areas of Australia and am setting up so I can be fairly self sufficient with solar, water, refrigeration etc.

This is not my first truck of similar design, I'll be doing all the work myself, don't plan to outsource anything at all.
I started a few weeks ago, will post up things as I do them and when I remember.

Attachments

• Ranger.JPG
    Ranger.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:

NuggetOutdoors

Firstly I had to sort out a few bugs in the vehicle.
I was told the winch was brand new, never been used and after having a close look at it I could see why - it didn't work.
I took the cover off the control box and found only one of the three wires to the controller plug was connected - it was never going to work.
The wires were broken, looked like the terminals had been twisted and bent too many times, but I could see where the wires used to be connect so wired it back up - still no go.
I metered out which were the winch motor windings and found it had been wired up wrong, rewired it and got it working, backwards at first but changing the wires around had it as good as new - I'm pretty sure the guy tried to install it himself and never got it going.
First issue down, now on the the next.

I installed some LED lights, two spot light in the middle and two floodlights pointing slightly sideways - I'm not really interested in distance, I can't see that far anyway, it's more about see the roos coming from either side and seeing the gullies and tracks when crawling around in 4WD.

The car had a violent shudder at 5 - 10kph.
I initially thought it was the centre bearing so replaced that but I wasn't that lucky.
I spent a lot of time trying to sort it out until I eventually found some info online that these Rangers had a problem after a lift kit is installed.
The lift kit changed the angle of the front and rear tail shafts, there should be less than 4 deg variation in shaft angles so I was told, mine had 11 deg.
The cure was a mod kit consisting of some spacers and washers that lowered the centre bearing.
I bought the kit only to find it was meant for the model after mine and they had changed the thread on the centre bearing mounting bolts and the kit didn't fit.
I ended up cutting out the old bolts (they are welded to the chassis) and tapping a thread, fitting longer bolts and washers to lower the mount - instant fix.
I wish it was as easy to fix as it was to write the details up - took a week of frustration but it's all good now.

Attachments

• shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 25
  • lights2.jpg
    lights2.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

NuggetOutdoors

These Rangers don’t have a very big standard fuel tank so I fitted a poly tank under the tray.
I’ve had a lot of different after market tanks and fittings over the years, I decided this time I’d try and do it without any transfer pump or fuel line solenoid.
I’ve fitted the tank but still yet to finalise the fuel lines - I’ll wait till after I’ve fitted the canopy as I want to make sure I get the filler position right.

I also fitted a 50lt under tray water tank.
I’m sure some people will think that’s not enough, it may not be for some but I’m one up solo and only use the water for washing my hands or having a quick bucket tub when I stink too much - drinking water is carried in the fridge or in the canopy.
Once again I’ve set it up gravity fed, I’m sick of pumps that don’t work and multiple fittings and piping that leaks.

NuggetOutdoors

Next was the canopy.
The concept is pretty simple and basic it will be permanently mounted to the tray and have a rooftop clamshell camper bed.
I love sleeping up on the roof, it keeps me away from bloody goannas that always seem to want to crawl in my swag when I’m away from camp.
It also keeps me safe from crocs, which makes for a much better night’s sleep in the tropics.
It’s also a lot cooler up on the roof, you’re much more likely to get any breeze that’s about.

The canopy is all aluminium - the photos are probably the best description, it’s about 1.8 x 1.8 with a rack over the cab.
Inside it has security mesh shelves (because I had some offcuts lying around).
The floor of the rooftop bed (which is actually the roof of the canopy) has a gun rack and secure storage box under the mattress.
I’m using foamboard as flooring because it is not effected by moisture if I spill something.
The outside will be sheeting in 4mm aluminium composite board, it’s easy to work with and durable.

Attachments

• canopy.jpg
    canopy.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Canopy1.jpg
    Canopy1.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 26
  • Canopy2.jpg
    Canopy2.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Canopy3.jpg
    Canopy3.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 27
  • Canopy4.jpg
    Canopy4.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 31

NuggetOutdoors

Got a bit more done.
Rear of the canopy is sheeted with 3mm checker plate and welded to the frame.
All welds were cleaned up with acid and run over with a lap-wheel so there's no sharp edges.
The folding rear ladder was fitted and two 1.85m x 100mm inside diametre poly tubes, they hold antenna extension poles, fishing rods and a few annex poles.
The way we’ve designed it the ladder padlocks closed (cable tied at the moment) which prevents the rod tubes from being opened - so nothing gets stolen.
Still to finish off, sickerflex and tidy up.

Attachments

• canopy5.jpg
    canopy5.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 22

NuggetOutdoors

Got a bit more done - The rear spare tyre bracket is made and works great.
Welded up the roof frame today - which is the clamshell lid of the camper.
The side doors are finished and fitted.

First photo is welding the roof frame, second is it just sitting roughly in place.
Another big day tomorrow sheeting the roof.

Attachments

• roof2.jpg
    roof2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 22
  • roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 26

NuggetOutdoors

Sheeted the roof section today - photo shows half way through sticking it down.
The roof was finished bar a few bits of trim and has been fitted to the top of the camper including the waterproof hinge.
All went fairly smooth.
Bolted the canopy to the truck, just door hinges and trim tomorrow then to the canvas guy on Monday.
I won't post any more progress photos for now - better to see it finished in a few days.

PS - the writing on the sheets is on a protective plastic film that gets removed when we're finished.
Yes the roof is silver.

Attachments

• roof3.jpg
    roof3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 17

NuggetOutdoors

There's been no interest in this project so I'll leave it at that - if anyone wants more info on what I've done just message me.

NJLDMM

I'm interested keep the updates coming. I'm in Aus too so I find anything local to be a good read.

Nick.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Lack of comments might be because most of the people looking at pickup truck builds are in the Domestic: Full Size and Other section.

I'm liking what I see of your build so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94