Defender 90 Build Thread

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
That is very cool! I wondered how long your rear door hinges would last with that big spare attached. A perfect solution.

Gren_T

Adventurer
Nice looking 90.
How do you like your seat covers? & how come your still running the french rear #plate, can you run with only a front plate in the states?

Regards all
Gren

sheep_dog

Observer
Thanks for the comments. The new tire carrier has relieved a huge amount of pressure of the rear door. At first it was odd how light the door was and how easily closed. I love the seat covers, and those will be coming up in a post shortly. Honestly I haven't been stopped by the police... so the French plates stay, till I get a fix it ticket lol The rear bumper has provisions for a rear plate to be attached.

The work on the Defender continues at a steady pace as I redo the dash board.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Ah, wiring, I love wiring.

I bought a street rod from a guy about 15 years ago. He had meticulously rewired it and had lovely, carefully drawn schematics. Beautiful work. Unfortunately, he bought all white bulk wire in various gauges and color coded them with various color sharpies. Brilliant idea! However, like H&G's breadcrumbs, the sharpie marks all faded into nothingness. That was a real treat to troubleshoot! Have fun!

sheep_dog

Observer
I last left off with a picture of the dash completely apart and a mess of wires. The good news is the dash is back together with almost all new pieces and a radio! The only original pieces left are the side trim and the lower dash. I installed the MUD CO switch panel with outlets and switch blanks. Eventually I will put switches in when I have auxiliary lighting down the road. On the lower dash I installed two 4" speakers on each side, drilling a 4" hole twice in the dash was a terrifying experience. While I had the dash apart and running a wires, I found it to be a great time to install my dual battery system and the monitor. The monitor is neatly attached to the dash and provides easy viewing from the drivers seat. Along with the dash the seats got Melville and Moon seat covers and I had the center console refitted with the matching fabric and leather patch. Melville and Moon was kind enough to provide me with the materials, since they don't make a cover for the aftermarket console. Aside from the passenger compartment being reworked, the storage area has been heavily modified. I ordered a Mobile Storage Systems drawer from the UK and mounted a ARB fridge slide and Front Runner box brackets. Along the the sides of the rear area I mounted Front Runner gear rails to hold tents, bags and other soft gear. I took the Defender up to the snow and the Knoxville OHV area this week and tested everything out. I am very pleased with how everything held over bumps and stayed strapped tight.
Enjoy the pictures

sheep_dog

Observer
The latest project just completed on the Rover was bed lining the floor boards. I used the Herculiner roll on that can be bought at most automotive stores. Before purchasing I did some research and the consensus was Herculiner and to stay away from the dupicolor. I decided to go approximately 4" in height around the passenger area floor boards. The prep work for this project was easy with taping, sanding and cleaning. When it came time to put the Herculiner on, it was a lot less messy than I prepared for. When applying Herculiner you can use a roll brush for most of it, but will need a regular paint brush to get the corners and hard to reach areas. I found with the brush its best to apply in a dabbing motion rather than a stroke of the brush. I am happy with how it turned out, but still undecided if I want to go higher with the bed liner.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
The latest project just completed on the Rover was bed lining the floor boards. I used the Herculiner roll on that can be bought at most automotive stores. Before purchasing I did some research and the consensus was Herculiner and to stay away from the dupicolor.

Funny you mention it. I heard good things about duplicolor but this was for painting engine components like the block.

sheep_dog

Observer
DiscoDavis the Duplicolor is good for paint, but bedliner is a different story.

Ill leave this picture here, to let everyone's imagination run about the next build thread to hit expo :ylsmoke:

sheep_dog

Observer
I would like to give Adventure Tool Company many thanks for the custom bags they have made for me. I had them make two duffel bags that fit perfectly on the wheel arch area. I also had them make me a tent bag for a favorite tent, where the bag has fallen to pieces. I can't speak highly enough of the quality of ATC's craftsmanship and their superior customer service!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I would like to give Adventure Tool Company many thanks for the custom bags they have made for me. I had them make two duffel bags that fit perfectly on the wheel arch area. I also had them make me a tent bag for a favorite tent, where the bag has fallen to pieces. I can't speak highly enough of the quality of ATC's craftsmanship and their superior customer service!

Seconded. My work bag is one of the large duffels that lives in the back of the defender or in our construction trailer. Going to swing by and oogle these new ones you got :)

DiscoDavis

Explorer
PSA: Let's everyone remind Sheepdog to remove the likely asbestos-ridden hood blanket from his car asap

33573374430_685a5972c8_b.jpg

Oh and look he changed his fuel filter on the 12J

Kgh

Let’s go already!
PSA: Let's everyone remind Sheepdog to remove the likely asbestos-ridden hood blanket from his car asap

33573374430_685a5972c8_b.jpg

Oh and look he changed his fuel filter on the 12J

His next mod will be establishing an EPA Superfund site for asbestos abatement.

ze_zaskar

Observer
I believe the hood blanket should be removed from any vehicle which will see offroad work, i.e., low to zero speed engine working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne