M1078 LMTV expedition vehicle build

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Are you running the TIG pedal with your knee? Impressive!

Our concrete shop floor is actually quite flat, so it makes for a nice fixturing surface. I'd rather weld at table height, but the floor it's too bad. Yup, knee, elbow, or whatever works. 20 years ago, I was an AWS certified TIG welder; I'm not as good as I once was, but it's not too bad to weld in contorted positions.

I TIG weld almost everything, but I might MIG the large habitat frame when the time comes.

Michael

thebigblue

Adventurer
I tried to get the CAD-model on OnShape - had no luck with the search though - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
I tried to get the CAD-model on OnShape - had no luck with the search though - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

A few people have had problems searching for the CAD model at first. Make sure you have the "public" folder selected on the left side of the page when you search for "M1078". That has worked for everyone so far. I think if you have another folder selected, it doesn't find it.

I put the roof rack I am making in the public folder, too, so it should show up in the search along with the truck.

M1078 on onshape.jpg

Michael

Last edited:

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Update: We have been making a lot of progress and working on the truck almost every day. Our main focus has been on getting the roof rack ready (so we can start body working the cab) and pulling off parts and refurbishing them. The roof rack is about finished and we have started sending parts out for sandblasting and powder coat. We also made some pretty nice aluminum stiffeners to reinforce our badly warped front fenders. They are 1/2-inch by 3/4-inch solid aluminum bar, rolled to match the edge of the fender. They will be bolted with small 10-32 fasteners through the lip of the fender prior to the fenders being painted.

Michael

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
I've been following the blog, too. Lots of pictures of you removing/cleaning/painting/powdercoating...I probably would have just used 100 cans of rustoleum hammered spray paint...:sombrero:

I can't wait to see what you do for the box.

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I've never rode in one of these, but always but interested. How loud is it in the cab when driving and I assume they come with little to zero sound deadening material? How/will you address that? And how much height room does the cab need to rotate forward? If a camper had a over cab section how much room would be needed? Or is that not even feasible?

Keep it up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
The LMTV has sound deadening material in the cab and can be driven without hearing protection (I'd recommend ear plugs for highway driving). Much quieter than the older deuce and a half.

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
I've never rode in one of these, but always but interested. How loud is it in the cab when driving and I assume they come with little to zero sound deadening material? How/will you address that? And how much height room does the cab need to rotate forward? If a camper had a over cab section how much room would be needed? Or is that not even feasible?

Keep it up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a big floor mat but it doesn't do much for sound deadening. There's nothing on the roof or back wall. You definitely need ear plugs for highway driving. The ride is great though.

An over cab box isn't really an option but you could slide the camper back and have the over cab portion above the intake and spare tire. I thought about doing that but went a different direction.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler

Keep it up!

Like Rebuilder said, the stock truck has no insulation of any kind in the walls or ceiling. There is a thermal carpet pad on the floor, but we plan on beefing it up, too. We plan to insulate the walls and ceiling and put acoustic foam on the ceiling. We will also likely put thermal and sound deadening insulation on the underside of the cab over the engine. That being said, the driving we have done in LMTVs seemed pretty comfortable.

The pivot for the cab is over the front bumper, so it tips up as it tips forward. It's really not very practical to put anything overhanging the cab. We're putting a roof rack on the cab for storage and building the habitat right up against the back of the cab. It's about the tightest packaging we thought we could get away with. The cab is on air springs, so it does move around requiring some clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94