3rd Gen Lifts

offthepath

Adventurer
Im in the process of looking for a lift for my 03 Monty and I have a few questions hopefully some of you can shed some light on.

Clearly the most obvious choice is the OME, seems pretty proven and straight forward. If I go this route I am considering doing HD in the rear and MD up front (no plans to add a bull bar). With the OME lift is it possible to use shocks other than OME, such as bilsteins? I have read conflicting info regarding shock length with OME vs stock. Anyone have info on shock length? I feel there are probably much better shocks for the money upfront, but I'm also thinking down the road when stuff wears out.

What the best place to get OME lifts?

Another option I ran across is RADFLO suspension, http://www.radflo.com/store/product/mitsubishi-montero-pajero-perforomance-suspension-system/ Although more expensive by $4-500 than OME, I really am drawn to this option. I feel OME is using some pretty antiquated technology and maybe the step up in performance would be worth it, plus they are re-buildable. The kit does not have lift provisions for the rear, but I may try LC front spring spacers on the rear.

Any thoughts and especially experience with the Radflo? Are there any other lift kits in the states I should be looking at?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I'd get the Kings if money was no option then Radlfo then Bilstein. When the time comes i'll probably go with Bilstein 5100's, there's probably not an application for 5100's but just get on Bilstein's website and spec out their standard shocks for the Gen 3 then match up the 5100 or 7100's

offthepath

Adventurer
Thanks for the links Dave. I did see Lovelles kits, but they seem comparable to OME? Any pros or cons....?

Toasty,
Do you know if the lifted shocks/struts are the same length as stock? One option I am considering is getting Bistein 5100 or 7100 and then having custom heavier springs made. I have had customs springs made for motorcycles and there are several companies making coil springs, plus I run 5100 on my f250 and it made a big difference in ride.

Another option is getting OME springs and then 5100 if I can figure out which ones would work. It looks like through rocky-road I can get the OME springs for about $350 and then add in the cost of whatever shocks I get. That would not be a bad at around 800-900 with 5100.......

What I can't get a decisive answer is if lifted springs are stock height with thicker wire, or if the springs themselves are longer as well. That question also applies to the shocks I guess.... There are some Aussie forums I found with people measuring their lifted springs/shocks but there are a few different posted figures.

Last edited:

vanroth

Observer
Thanks for the links Dave. I did see Lovelles kits, but they seem comparable to OME? Any pros or cons....?

What I can't get a decisive answer is if lifted springs are stock height with thicker wire, or if the springs themselves are longer as well. That question also applies to the shocks I guess.... There are some Aussie forums I found with people measuring their lifted springs/shocks but there are a few different posted figures.

The Montero OME springs are approximately the same length but much thicker. I can't speak to the specific Montero issued shocks, but my past OME shocks for other vehicles have been longer.

I plan on going OME HD all around as I've had good luck with them in the past (although I regret not going MD in my light weight Sidekick).

-vanroth

offthepath

Adventurer
That looks good! I saw the part numbers in the other thread, how did you decide on that specific Bilstein? Are those just stock length and valving?

Also how long did it take to get the Lovells springs?

Thanks for the help.

Toasty

Know that the yellow Bilsteins are not in the realm of the 5100's (they are half the price though). I'm sure they're fine but hardly the best combo, Kings/Lovells is undoubtedly the best combo but $$$. A good middle of the road is Bilstein 5100 and Lovells, i don't have part numbers for you but if you go on Bilstein's website you can figure it out.

Toasty

You only need stock length since your suspension travel range doesn't change. If you want custom valving you need to move up to the next tier of shocks and weigh your truck at each corner and explain your usage to the shop building your shocks.

AlfA01

Any recommendations on where to order a 3rd Gen lift in the EU? I have a 3.2 DiD model if that matters. I know some cars need heavier springs for the extra weight the diesel engines have.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Does Bilstein make a 5100 for the Gen. 3?
Do they make a rear 5100 shock with a stem top mount and eye bottom mount (if I recall, this was a sticking point with the 5100)?
I've gone through a few OME rear shocks...seal failures. I'm now running the Bilstein 4600 B6 in the rear with OME HD springs...so far, so good.

Cheers

AlfA01

Hi there, I quickly searched Bilstein and they only seem to have B6s available.

Check out my Gen3 suspension sheet for a list of available shocks and struts - There are better options out there

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/gen3-montero-aftermarket-suspension-sheet.202220/

@AlfA01 check out my suspension sheet and search by part number to find out where the best place is to buy it.

Nice bit of information you've put together...thanks for sharing. Looks like I've got some research to do.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Although there are "better options" for the Gen. III, the cost ramps up quickly when looking into other options.
If cost is a concern, Bilsteins are reasonable option.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste