Advice from the maintenance and repair experts, please

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
Update: did a fluid change (not flush), new filter, and 2 bottles of the lucas no slip. Something to note, I think the repair shop lied. They said the fluid was burned and brown, what came out was not burned and looked virtually new. No debris in the pan, just a light residue of what I assume is worn bands. I'm going to power wash the radiator/trans cooler this weekend, and just drive it until something changes. (It's always shifted just fine, nice and crisp. Only issues ever were the 2 slips in 4wd).

rayra

Expedition Leader
well that's all good news, but didn't you even just pull the trans dipstick and inspect it, before you went to the shop? That's a 'step 1' sort of diagnostic. And checking the level just to ensure it's correct, as low fluid would also make it slip and increase the heating issue.
That and a white paper towel and your nose would have told you they were lying.

You might want to also do a fluid change with the appropriate fluids of you transfer case and both your axles. It's not much money and it's also a good preventative measure AND a way to check for metal debris / abnormal wear in all of those as well.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
Ha, honestly no I didn't, failure on my part, I was more interested in what their scanner said, wasn't really thinking about the fluid.

Axle/front diff got done just a few months ago, transfer case is next.

rayra

Expedition Leader
harrumph back in my day there weren't no fancy computers running everything, a man had to sniff and scratch and taste to diagnose stuff. /harrumph

but seriously, there's a lot of simple tests and things to look for that can save you from a lot of spurious upcharges by unscrupulous service workers. And yes, modern computerized crap obviates a lot of it. Surely someone has written a primer somewhere along the lines of '20 Simple Things You Can Check To Make Sure Your Mechanic Isn't Ripping You Off'. Stuff like tread wear patterns, suspension and steering checks, fluid hose and belt checks. Wheel bearing and ball joint checks. There's lots of things that can be readily checked with a eye and nose and a little wiggling things around. If a person knows what to look for. And a lot of these things ought to be done before a long road trip, too. Especially if 'overlanding' back where AAA don't reach and people want all your cash to drag your dead vehicle out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior