To shell or not shell... That is the question...?

I had the same but opposite dilemma, that is to get one or not for the reasons you mentioned.

I settled on the Diamondback 270 because it gives me the lockable storage and visibility I'm looking for and each panel is individually removable and thus I can remove as needed without help if I have too.

happytraveler

had a shell on a pickup long years ago and it was indeed a PITA to get things from up front in the bed.

Years ago, I screwed one of these

images

into the end of one of these (broom handle)

pACE-956700dt.jpg

It now rides around in it's second truck. I have not had any problem retrieving any item from the front of the box.

p nut

butter
Smart idea, Happytraveler.
_
I had a shell on my last truck. It was ok. Good for keeping large items out of the weather and mostly out of sight. Not so great for really big or awkward items. My new truck has a folding tonneau cover. Folds back for bulky items, or completely off with a couple of bolts. I like this new set up better for my needs. My usual load consists of smaller things, like a bicycle, lumber, etc. that can be stowed in the bed--out of sight, out of weather. There are tradeoffs with both set ups, but this works better for me.

grandpa

I just ordered a ARE Z-Cap because I need the weather protection and security for taller items. I had a nice lockable aluminum roll-up tonneau cover but I always need a little more height. Everyone has different and changing requirements.

jkcobra

Observer
I went through the same dilemma when I got my truck. I really wanted to keep the ability to carry large items, but I also wanted lockable storage. So I got a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit (aluminum roller). I love it, but now considering what else I would want to do in the future for maybe a removable bedrack and tent setup for overlanding.

One suggestion from when I had my jeep with a hardtop, mount a winch and pulley system with spreader bar and straps in your garage and some support boards under the shell. Then you can back in, strap the shell to the winch and lift it off easily. I did this with my jeep and it made it so much easier. They do sell some pre-made units to do this, but its easy to throw the parts together, just brace it properly.

Quick google search:

attachment.php

mjmcdowell

Explorer
shell or not

I went through the same dilemma when I got my truck. I really wanted to keep the ability to carry large items, but I also wanted lockable storage. So I got a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit (aluminum roller). I love it, but now considering what else I would want to do in the future for maybe a removable bedrack and tent setup for overlanding.

One suggestion from when I had my jeep with a hardtop, mount a winch and pulley system with spreader bar and straps in your garage and some support boards under the shell. Then you can back in, strap the shell to the winch and lift it off easily. I did this with my jeep and it made it so much easier. They do sell some pre-made units to do this, but its easy to throw the parts together, just brace it properly.

Quick google search:

attachment.php
Since I travel in my truck I have a hard shell... had one on my last truck also. This new truck (2015 4x4 F150 FX 4) has a Leer 100 and a bed rug which I can remove when it has to be a truck, (dump runs, mulch, plants etc) I would not have a truck without one (weather proof, reasonably secure) and when overlanding its a cozy set up. (DE V and DE VI) Soooooo I say keep it. mjmcdowell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior