Super Duty to do list?

Rjsoaz

10f08306490b0657a26da03e57acbe35.jpg
heres a pic from a hunting trip in 2014 to the north rim of Grand Canyon area.

Hey everyone. I've been a lurker for some time, off and on interest. A recent dry camping trip has renewed my interests.

My current rig was bought with a few upgrades 4 years ago. I've done nothing but maintenance since. I'm looking for some guidance on what upgrades need to be done from a reliability standpoint. Being a jeep owner I know how much trail breakdowns can ruin your day.

My googling has turned up the following so far.

Bumpers for recovery points
Lockers
Free spin kit
6.0 trans cooler swap

Truck already has from previous owner:
Unknown lift brand and height
285 bfg ATs (I added these, ditched the 20s with 305 street tires).
47 gallon transfer flow kit
K&n air filter
Unknown 4 position chip. As far as I can tell stock, and just increased performance settings. (I mostly run on stock or the 1 position)
Via air onboard air compressor
Unknown brand air bags in rear
Unknown if truck was regeared for the larger tires it had before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Honestly you're pretty well set up. The 7.3 is fairly bulletproof if well maintained. Common points of failure are the sensors which are easy to change. If you have an automatic consider having it rebuilt by a competent shop if it hasn't already. The 4r110 had some known weaknesses but they are easily corrected by a competent rebuild. The factory recovery points on the front are more then sufficient and I've always used the receiver with the pin through the strap it as my rear attachment point. Bumpers aren't really necessary but if you want them then go for it. Lockers are nice but I've never needed them on my '04 F250 although I have a factory LSD. Bottom line is just start going out and camping and you'll figure out pretty fast what you really need.

Rjsoaz

Honestly you're pretty well set up. The 7.3 is fairly bulletproof if well maintained. Common points of failure are the sensors which are easy to change. If you have an automatic consider having it rebuilt by a competent shop if it hasn't already. The 4r110 had some known weaknesses but they are easily corrected by a competent rebuild. The factory recovery points on the front are more then sufficient and I've always used the receiver with the pin through the strap it as my rear attachment point. Bumpers aren't really necessary but if you want them then go for it. Lockers are nice but I've never needed them on my '04 F250 although I have a factory LSD. Bottom line is just start going out and camping and you'll figure out pretty fast what you really need.

Thanks for the reply . Good to know that I'm pretty well off already. What are some of the spare sensors that I should keep on hand?

I think I'll take the save and wait for tranny problems to manifest themselves before considering a rebuild. For all I know it may have already been done. I have to look into getting the service records again for it and taking a good look. I misplaced them after just making sure everything was done on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm not a fan of the K&N's having read of many dusted Cummins and Powerstrokes. Most dyno testing doesn't show an increase in hp until you hit 400 rwhp anyway.
There's going to be plenty of owners who've used them but I just don't think it's worth it.

sheep_dog

Observer
That 7.3 is bullet proof! (Coming from a former 6.0 owner :() Idk if your going to be doing any towing but if you are a transmission temperature gauge can save you a lot of money from costly repairs. I agree with the previous statement about the lockers. With a full size truck I'm not sure if a front locker is necessary. My current f150 has a rear locker and I have never needed more than that. Saying that I have never put the truck in a situation that would need a front locker, because of the fear of body damage.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
In my 7.3 I always carry an extra cam position sensor in the glove box. There is a factory upgrade air intake system I install on all my 7.3's when they come into the fleet. http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...-conversion-fa1759/2u2z-9k635-aa/?parent=1068
I also keep an extra glow plug relay in the glove box, but that is more from my own experience rather than anyone else's recommendation.
I also tend to convert to the warn locking hubs. You lose the automatic function if you have the dash switch 4x4 actuation, but they are way better than the stock ones in my opinion.
Ball joints seem to need done around 200k miles, I like to go through the front end at that time.
A lot of guys say injectors become a problem at 200k but my current truck is going strong at 270k and I'm hoping to get over 300k before messing with them.

wallace2000

Free spin kit is definitely worth the money. I've had mine on for years. I went with the Spyntec kit over Dynatrac just because it was cheaper and i haven't had any problems over the last 5 years with it. If you're mechanically savvy and can pull the valve covers yourself I would surely keep an extra UVCH around. Those clips seem to break for no apparent reason and its a cheap fix if you do it yourself. Awesome trucks though, mine is 16 years old with 285,xxx miles running quite strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior