UZJ100 built for the long trip south

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Got some work ahead of you! Fun times!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

For sure! Put on Slee sliders and rear bumper last night. It is looking like the Slee belly skid won't work with bolt on sliders because the u-bolts will interfere with the belly skid. If that is the case I will just weld on the sliders and dump the u-bolts. Should know today.

Believe it or not besides a snorkel and a set of rear coil springs that was all that was in all those big boxes. Oh ya and some Weathertech floor mats which I tossed in first. ;)

Cheers

Chris Boyd

Explorer
There is an installation note about interference of the belly pan and the slider. Check their website for the instructions. I don't think you have to weld them. I remember reading something about it when I did my front skid plate with my existing bolted slee sliders. (Of which I installed in their parking lot last summer, on a trip west).

MTSN

Explorer
For sure! Put on Slee sliders and rear bumper last night. It is looking like the Slee belly skid won't work with bolt on sliders because the u-bolts will interfere with the belly skid. If that is the case I will just weld on the sliders and dump the u-bolts. Should know today.

Believe it or not besides a snorkel and a set of rear coil springs that was all that was in all those big boxes. Oh ya and some Weathertech floor mats which I tossed in first. ;)

Cheers

I had the Slee sliders and Slee belly plate, and they did not have to be welded. Check with Slee on the workaround - they did the install on mine FWIW.

zimm

Expedition Leader
couldnt you just notch the plate at the interference area? ive done both weld and bolt, and i think i like bolt better.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
couldnt you just notch the plate at the interference area? ive done both weld and bolt, and i think i like bolt better.

Bingo. We notch the Slee skids for bolt on sliders. Quick fix with a plaz or grinder.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Bingo. We notch the Slee skids for bolt on sliders. Quick fix with a plaz or grinder.

Sure looks like it needs it to me. I don't really want to notch the skid, kind of feeling like welding on the sliders is better, mostly because then there is no interference with the brake lines and such on the inside of the frame rail.

I will be in to the skid plates install tomorrow. Rear bumper is all finished up besides adding the ladder and jerry can holder. I would like to now move the muffler up and out of the way, not so sure I will get to that before I leave. Started to install the new 2864's and got tired so called it a night. Slap those in tomorrow morning then on to the skids. Got the snorkel to do as well. Mostly installed a Tembo Tusk drop down slide tonight. It is a heavy sucker that is for sure! I need to secure it better to the Front Runner drawers so will have to pick up hardware tomorrow. The locking latch for the slider busted off in the first 30 minutes of playing with the slide. Kind of bummed on that but I have an easy fix. I will be rebuilding my front axle this week as well. Got to tear my winch down as well, it is locked up and I am pretty sure from corrosion. Next week I will slap in the new XS Power batteries. Besides the e-lockers and brake up grade getting done out in California that is it for the build.

I have gone through all my gear and it will only take me a few hours to pack it up and another few to load the truck.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So no need to modify the belly skid or weld on the sliders. Don't know why I was tripping, just looked like it was not going to work. Skid is all on and done, got the front end completely torn apart and am most of the way through the snorkel install. BTW, I really dislike how one of the grease zirks in the drivelines require grinding down one side of my grease gun nozzle.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Getting there now!

Snorkel is on and done, by the way I don't like notching my new snorkel for the power antenna but hey I did it and it is done. Just don't understand why it can't be made for our market instead of just RHD. Front end is all rebuilt on the truck now too. New XS Power batteries fitted, they rock! I am just about down to little things such as;

-Elevate the fridge and slide. Mount it up.
-Fit the two front skid plates.
-Configure my roof rack and fit a few things to it like fishing rod holder and my Roadshower.
-Install LED headlights that just showed up today after 6-weeks.
-And geez I am drawing a blank on the rest, just little stuff.

A few things will have to be dealt with on the road like getting a mount for my Garmin GPS.

I think I mentioned it already but if not, Georg and Ward at Valley Hybrids and Cruiser Brothers have graciously sponsored me. I am stopping into the Valley Hybrids shop the weekend of January 7th to get Harrop e-lockers installed and a brake upgrade installed as well. We are also going to tear down my winch at that time since I don't have time right now plus getting my Slee bumper off by myself is a chore.

I just finished up rebuilding the front end, new wheel bearings and CV boots. My boots were leaking and had made a huge mess under the front of my truck. All cleaned up now and ready to put the tires on. Speaking of tires, I am rotating, haven't done that since I got the BFGs last July. The Cruiser is pretty ready to rock now, all fluids changed, everything lubed up and greased. The 2864 coils are just what I needed for all this weight too, I think I can get away with no air bags, hope so or I will have to do those at Valley Hybrids as well. I think Ia m good though, the 2864s are nice and stiff and rated at 800lbs over GVW which pushes me to over 7,000lbs easy. The truck has come a long ways in the last six months and I am getting pretty happy with it. But man I am getting tired of working on it!

Kurt and Cruiser Outfitters is setting me up with the spare parts I need. I am not carrying a ton of repair parts but enough to save me in a time of need.

Love my new stereo by the way, one of the best upgrades I have done yet but man was the install nasty! I went the hard route on it, all DIY rather than buying adapters and such. Still need to add a din cubby since I went single din head unit but it sounds awesome and I am stoked on it.

Once I hit Mexico I am going to do a video of the truck, how it is set up and why. I will post the video here.

Cheers

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
i ran airbags in mine for years. they dont affect a thing and will give you extra capacity should you need it. cheap insurance if you end up needing to give 10 locals and their chickens a ride.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
i ran airbags in mine for years. they dont affect a thing and will give you extra capacity should you need it. cheap insurance if you end up needing to give 10 locals and their chickens a ride.

I have certainly have thought about it but really it is stiff and firm so far, not loaded up yet of course.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior