Autohome Maggiolina for tall folks?

DirtyDog

Adventurer
I'm thinking of getting a Maggiolina and am wondering if it is long enough for someone that is 6'2" tall? Any tall Autohome users here that can share their experiences?

Thanks,
Aaron

gillti

Adventurer
Just got one. I'm 6'3" and no worries. However, I ALWAYS sleep on my side (can't seem to sleep any other way) and my legs are bent, so don't know if I am much help. I would think that if you stretch out it will be a little tight, so slightly at an angle will help a bit. if there is just 2 of you, not a problem. We have three kids--we also have 2 tents--for the obvious reasons.

hope that helps

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The Large size is about 2" longer than small and medium. IMO it would be great if Maggiolina offered the longer size in the small and medium width.

I'm 5'10" and I sleep best in my GT Medium diagonally...which is fine when I'm solo. Otherwise you have to be OK with your head and/or feet below the scissor lift if you want to sleep 'stretched out'.

DesertDude has the Columbus carbon and he says its long enough for him and I think he's 6'1" or 6'2"?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
hoser said:
Also consider the new Columbus Variant XL which is 91" long vs 83" for the S/M Maggiolina.

They must have recently added the XL to their line? That's good news for taller folks wanting a Columbus!

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
I'm 6'2" and the the Grand Tour Med works fine. I'd prefer it to be a few inches longer, but I didn't want the extra width of a large. The matress itself is definately too short. But there's a slot at the head where the scissor jacks tuck into that adds maybe 3 in of length - I put my pillow over that space. The same 3 in space is at your feet and I like it because when I sleep on my stomach my toes go in the slot so it's kiind of like hanging your feet off the end of a regular mattress. You could roll a jacket and fill the slots at either end and effectively add 6 in length to the matress.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Longer Maggiolinas

I am pursuing a 'special' Maggiolina in small and medium that would be 91" long over all. Deduct 6" for the lifting mechanisms, and you have 85" -- that's 7' - 1" long. I expect that there will be a modest increase in weight - perhaps 5 to 7 pounds.

Please let me know if this would be of interest to you taller people.

andrewcconti

Mike any updates on the longer Maggiolinas?

I am interested in the weight / price of a Maggiolina Medium XL Carbon.

Thanks

Andrew Conti

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
The Maggiolina is now offered in EXTRA LONG in small and medium sizes in the Safari model - very similar to the AirLand, but with the two part door system like the Grand Tour and Extreme. The standard fabric is tan Dralon, but I can order in grey also. Standard small and medium models are 83" long, the new EXTRA LONG models are 91" long. I only have a couple available, but will order more for delivery early Spring if there is interest. These are a lot longer and should work well for those who are 6'2" or taller.

We also offer an XL Columbus Variant - 91" long - in small and medium. Have a couple in stock, and will order more if there is interest.

We can only cram so many tents into one container, and we prefer to err on the side of the most popular models. We asked for an XL Maggiolina, but the XL versions are new, and we do not yet have a feel for the level of demand.

We do not yet have the Carbon Fiber models in EXTRA LONG.

The Older model Adventure was built in shorter lengths than the current standard Maggiolina. This is oneof the reason that we do not stock them as a regular item.

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Yeah, you really want to watch the small Maggiolina Adventure, the original. I'm 6'4" and I did fit but it is 4 inches shorter than the standard small Maggiolina. Quite snug but a very warm tent. I was camped out up in the Cascades on my way to Oregon. Didn't realize it was so cold until I got up in the morning. Had to warm up my car's battery before I could start the engine.

Rich H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles