Getting ideas for a LR4...

fifty

Adventurer
A family member owns a 2012 LR4 with out the locking diff. The vehicle has been immaculately cared for and can possibly be bought for a good price....

However...I am deciding wether it will fit my needs. My last "go out yonder and play" vehicle had bothe front and rear arb lockers and spent a good portion of their time unused...

...however, there were plenty and I mean plenty of times where they were both needed...not helpful but needed!

So aside from getting factory set up...and aside from doing ARB's (too many pieces to fail, it seemed like I was chasing something or other)... Are there any "E-locker" types out there?

I looked at auburn ected and found nothing but when I did my Dana 80 arb locker, ARB showed that they didn't offer a kit either. So I take things with a grain of salt.

Thanks for any direction!

tuesdayfox

Eaton blocker. A friend have both front and rear on his nnavara works beautfully

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fifty

Adventurer
It shows:
Land Rover - Rover Type and Salisbury and Salisbury Defender1985-2000

Are the new LR4's the same as the above? I have no idea!

Bama4door

Observer
There's no aftermarket rear locker for the LR4 that I know of, but ARB does make a front locker for them.

fifty

Adventurer
Geez the rear is only listed for lr3...

So what's everyone using that didn't come with the hd package?
Are they getting an hd package to install?

A.J.M

Explorer
You can get both front and rear ARB lockers for the D4.

I have no lockers on my 3. It's a very rare option on the UK market as we don't have a "HD package"
I know of 3 cars with it. 2 are G4 D3s from the 2009 event so that's kinda cheating...

It works out about £725 for the front and £864 for the back.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Traction control is pretty good to start. If I started with a D4 I would hunt for 18"s first, then a good set of tires. If I really kept getting stuck then go E-locker swap in or an ARB rear airlocker.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I'd say before you go about installing lockers in a LR4, see how well the traction control works. From what I've seen on the trail, its been mighty fine. And like you said, rarely used. If you realistically don't need lockers often, traction control is a great compromise. However you gotta learn how to drive with traction control. Completely different from driving a vehicle without it.

Take that $$$ and get the lift, tires, and skids. I think that would be better served on an LR4 than lockers.

Exploder
My new-to-me LR3 climbed a rutted-out gravel road that was as steep as a mule's face this past weekend. In GRASS/GRAVEL/SNOW and Low it walked up it with street tires and no spinning. I was impressed.

fifty

Adventurer
Lol! I appreciate the advice guys! Tires is a definite first, I have a line on 18 inch wheels. The rod lift seems to be the way to go.

I seem to have always needed the lockers when I never thought I would and it was awesome insurance for the money. It's a must have I my book!

Bama4door

Observer
You can get both front and rear ARB lockers for the D4.

I have no lockers on my 3. It's a very rare option on the UK market as we don't have a "HD package"
I know of 3 cars with it. 2 are G4 D3s from the 2009 event so that's kinda cheating...

It works out about £725 for the front and £864 for the back.

ARB makes a rear locker for the LR3, but I don't think they make one for the LR4...

A.J.M

Explorer
ARB makes a rear locker for the LR3, but I don't think they make one for the LR4...

http://expeditionportal.com/arb-releases-air-lockers-for-discovery-3-and-4-lr3-and-lr4/

Would need to dig out the expo build thread but this post suggests that their LR4 has both front and back lockers.

Edit.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/l319-discovery-3-4/238391-d4-rear-diff-lock.html

Would appear from some digging that the 3 can get a back locker but it doesn't fit the 4 and ARB have no development plans currently to make a 4 locker.

Which seems a shame really.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles