2004 Nissan Xterra adventure build/Idea's

vonguido

Adventurer
SRStaff looks good with the 33's. Also I will go Bilstein over Rancho anyday...I have Bils on my old XJ and loved them.

Sorry for being MIA. Life and medical issues got in the way so we had to push back the buying of the van....although that will be done by the end of October. Once that is taken care of I will then start to focus on the not so fun stuff for the Xterra...
Regular maintenance!!!
Brakes, Fluids, Cooling system, AC needs redone completely, and any other random odds and ends...

Now I'm not a small guy...6'1 330lbs and my head basically touches the headliner with the seat adjust as low as it will go...Is there any mods or any words of advice for the dealing with this without having to have "gangsta lean" in the seat?

vonguido

Adventurer
Long time ago

Well I have neglected this thread a little bit because life has gotten in the way.

So the Wife now has her new whip --> 2016 Honda Odyssey EX-L
IMG_0494.jpg

Which brings me to my new rig as mentioned previously
IMG_0498.jpg

SOOOO as she sits today she has 190,000 Miles on her, a big chunk of that is high way driving - Ohio to Florida - Plus before my father in-law bought it, it was owned by an older gentleman and constantly serviced, so thats the upside, really a 1-2 owner.

I know we talked earlier in the thread about ways to upgrade the Xterra. My concern now is maintenance items...with this many miles and the timing belt has NOT been replaced yet, what do you experienced Xterra owners recommend?

I am going to take it to a mechanic and have them comb over the whole truck and give me a list of things that need done and order of severity this week.

Body lift will be the first real change to the Xterra after I get the general maintenance stuff done, I will order the front/rear bumpers and sliders and skids from shrockworks before hand since they take forever.

Would like to hear what everyone thinks.

Last edited:

dennismc

Observer
https://db.tt/S8Qtlf7sbs16.29.34You don't have a chain, it's a belt. Look at the Nissan recommended service for 105k, belt, water pump, plugs etc. Use factory oem parts, far better than typical parts store items and more reliable plus not a huge difference in cost. I would replace all belts and possibly hoses while you're in there, again I didn't find them all that expensive, I worked for Audi, VW and Porsche in parts for 42 years and in comparison found Nissan parts quite reasonable in comparison. Look at your power steering hoses and radiator, see how they look. Other than that just enjoy it. I drove mine very stock for a long time before embarking on the build to enable me to venture further afield.

Last edited:

vonguido

Adventurer
https://db.tt/S8Qtlf7sbs16.29.34You don't have a chain, it's a belt. Look at the Nissan recommended service for 105k, belt, water pump, plugs etc. Use factory oem parts, far better than typical parts store items and more reliable plus not a huge difference in cost. I would replace all belts and possibly hoses while you're in there, again I didn't find them all that expensive, I worked for Audi, VW and Porsche in parts for 42 years and in comparison found Nissan parts quite reasonable in comparison. Look at your power steering hoses and radiator, see how they look. Other than that just enjoy it. I drove mine very stock for a long time before embarking on the build to enable me to venture further afield.

thanks for the catch Dennis on the chain/belt. I'm going to call Nissan tomorrow and see when/if the timing belt was ever changed and when. I will have them do it for piece of mind this time, as well as have them inspect the other hoses you mentioned. I have some more reading to do on here and other Xterra forums

vonguido

Adventurer
So, an amazing deal on a new ride came up and I could not pass it up....Soooooo the Xterra is gone and I now own this....
fullsizeoutput_9b7.jpeg

2005 Toyota Limited 4Runner, 74,000 miles, 1 owner, V8....I'm super excited! Build to come in the Toyota section

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94