Big Decision for my Discovery 1

M35A2

Tinkerer
Keep it.

If you don't you will regret it soon enough.

You have a classic icon. Don't mess with that! ;)

rokrawlr

Observer
Tuff call continue-ing to consider. The engines can be found at british atlantic, not positive if i have a short or long block
Land Rover Engine: Remanufactured 4.0 BOSCH Short Block Engine (Core Charge Additional)

$4,495
Item: 9257BRK

Long block is an automotive term for an engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head,camshaft (usually), and valve train A long block does not include fuel system, electrical, intake, and exhaust components, as well as other components.

Short block is an automotive term for an engine sub-assembly. A short block is the portion of the cylinder block below the head gasket but above the oil pan. An in-block cam engine includes the camshaft, timing gear, and any balance shafts. Overhead cam engines don't include those parts.

With that engine from AB, you would need to have your heads rebuilt and reuse your intake, oil pan and all accessories.

kcabpilot

Observer
Tuff call continue-ing to consider. The engines can be found at british atlantic, not positive if i have a short or long block
Land Rover Engine: Remanufactured 4.0 BOSCH Short Block Engine (Core Charge Additional)

$4,495
Item: 9257BRK

As noted, if you purchase a short block you will then have to also have your heads rebuilt. You'll need new head gaskets, new head bolts and various other gaskets such as intake, exhaust and valley pan. Now with that much invested in a new engine are you going to hook the old radiator up to it? Not to mention hoses and belts and idler bearings, motor mounts, fuel injectors, spark plugs and ignition wires. I've priced out a complete rebuild of my engine including $1500 to have the flanged liners installed and it comes out to about six grand and that's with me doing all of the labor outside of machine shop stuff. That includes everything however, right down to the serpentine belt. With the AB short or long block you are paying their labor costs which is probably about two grand on top of everything else. Then there are the shipping costs, not sure how much that would be but it's two way because you have to send them back your core. So going that route, to have a completely new setup in the end it would most likely be about 8 or 9 grand. You have to think about all of this before deciding to go that way, don't let it sneak up on you.

Finally, as I have been advised, if you are going to go to all of this trouble and expense it's kind of silly to not build a 4.6 rather than the 4.0. The only difference are the crank and rods.

rlynch356

Defyota
5k buys a lot of new D1.. If you have off road stuff - i'd just buy another and swap the good stuff to it and sell the old one... to make up the difference (or keep it for parts).
like your interior better? great swap it in, that pretty much goes for everything.

hell my Brother in law bought a nice SD (non-sunroof) truck for 1.5k that runs great..

my 2 cents- i would not put 5k+ into a 1.5k D1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles