CO, UT, NV, OR, CA - Timelapse Video

boll_rig

Adventurer
Now I know I said video but this is actually a super 8 film that I made while driving around the west in July. Not your typical overland trip report but I thought I'd share it here with you guys anyway.

For most of these 3,800 miles I was traveling solo in my 2003 suburban, starting in Leadville, CO. I traveled from there to SLC, stayed the night at a friends and then headed out to try to make it to the only small body of water I could find on my route in NV, in Sheldon Nation Antelope Preserve. This place was beautiful! Wild horses, antelope, more birds than I can recall. Apparently this stretch of the country is one of the most remote, anyone else heard this? To get there I turned off route 80 at Winnemuca, NV and didn't really see many cars until I got into Oregon a day later.

Hung in Oregon near Gov Camp for a few days and then started a long drive south to LA over a couple weeks. The camp spot in the film was in Shasta national forest, used google maps again to find a lake and it was well worth it. Had a close encounter with a bear though..

I moved south to San fran and picked up a friend and then hit big sur for a bit...

A little about the film. I shot this with my super8 camera mounted to a tripod in the front seat. For the section from SF south it was positioned out the sun roof. I didnt have a timer/intervalometer at the time so this was done all manually on the 1 frame setting. I would reach over and click the trigger and then count anywhere from 1 second to 10 seconds to a minute and then click again and repeat. Then just a lot of nonstop clicking, witching hands when I got tired.

https://vimeo.com/173521362
enjoy.

Last edited:

cozmo2312

Observer
Holy crap. That was all kinds of awesome... Some of the parts with the tight curves were a little fast for me, but the music, editing, selective slow focus areas and the super 8 film combined to make a pretty freaking rad film.

Thanks for putting this together and sharing.

boll_rig

Adventurer
Cosmo, a little fast for me too. Always trying to get as much as I can while conserving film makes it too fast in places, but appreciate the comments guys!

Gizzard, It actually made the drive fly by.. I pretty much counted my intervals and changed the pace by slowly adding or decreasing the amount of time between button presses. The 12 hour sections turned into nothing ha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier