Man takes his dog, dying of cancer, on one last, epic road trip

unkamonkey

Explorer
A good story. I understand. A loss of your pet can hurt as much as loosing a family member. I believe it was P. G. Wodehouse that said that "Man is the only animal that will get a pet and knows fully well that he is going to out live them". I paraphrased that a bit. I like most dogs and miss many of them. Good for him.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I'm not even a cat person. There has only been a few I liked.
I came home for lunch and found my favorite cat laying dead next to my house. Not much you can do at that point. Dig a hole and bury her. Say some kind words and do and couple shots of Rum. Yes, tears were involved.
Is my Man Card still intact?
I've known my neighbor for over 40 years and we get together and drink a few toasts to our canine companions that are now gone.
I hope what the guy in the article is doing will help him feel better.

keane

Observer
I finally did my trip up to Tuk this past summer. 1 of my dogs was starting to not do well. So we brought him along for the adventure. He got to taste all the creeks, lakes and even a taste of the arctic ocean, and pee in all those spots to. He passed on us 3 days from home. That was a hard one to deal with.

I’m on my ~~5th generation of cats. Currently 2 brothers raised in my house by bottle from 3 days age. Obviously very bonded to me.
At some point my cats will outlive me. Good thing my daughters are into cats as well.
The collars afe radio collars, I used them when they were younger until I was positive they would always come back. My area is a happy spot for cats, never lost one in 34 years, only dangers eagles, owls and rare lynx.BF6B7DD6-C131-47DC-88F7-BDB16CC40C24.png

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
I finally did my trip up to Tuk this past summer. 1 of my dogs was starting to not do well. So we brought him along for the adventure. He got to taste all the creeks, lakes and even a taste of the arctic ocean, and pee in all those spots to. He passed on us 3 days from home. That was a hard one to deal with.
Sorry for your family’s loss.

Like most things the longer we have them (it if it’s a cat) the more difficult to process the loss.

We had to say goodbye to a pet English pointer of 17 years. And then 2 years later it was time for a 15 yo Cairn to be let go of. After the terrier was put down I told myself I don’t need all this emotional trauma in my life at my age any longer. Yet as I write this here sits a 2 yo mini Aussie at my feet. I guess I’ve found that I need a canine as much as I require oxygen apparently. Can’t live without them.

Again, sorry that a trusted companion has moved on. Sounds like that last trip was good for their soul.

dierkz

You gave him a full life!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Warning: You will shed some tears if you read this and your dog has recently died or been put down and you are still upset about it.
Or ever had a dog... I got through the 1st paragraph before I got a lump in my throat. I think that I held up pretty well.

If you're a dog person and can get through the 1st chapter of 'The art of racing in the rain' without a lump in your throat, you must have a heart of stone, lol

This reminds me of a movie we recently watched based on Channing Tatum's real life experience of giving his dying dog one last road trip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles