89 Suburban Build and Help

PHSARGE

So Finally got something bigger than the Jeep Fleet. Truck is an 89 Suburban. Dark Blue in color. Truck is in awesome shape for it's age.

Mods so Far

33 inch tires on stock suspension
Move Rear Bumper ( Still in progress )

Mods to come

Move Front bumper with winch
Dual Alternator charging system with second battery
Roof Rack
New Hood ( current one pretty well beat up )
Swing away for rear bumper
Some molle attachment points
Vehicle mounted compressor system

Area of needed help
The dual charge system requires AC Delco AD244 alternators. Has anyone used these on older vehicles? It's been done but some of the electrical I am not good without a diagram.

Will post pictures as soon as I get a chance of the starting point as well as the finished items.

Thanks all in advance

Jeff

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
Take a look at geronracing's suburban build. I think he used one 180 amp alternator for his dual battery setup.

FBJR

Adventurer
Can't agree more, need pics. I have two 1991 burbs outside. Flipping one, building the other with 6BT.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Any particular reason for the dual alternator vs singe high output?

what plans for the 33" spare in the rear storage slot, will a 33" fit down in that tub?

FBJR

Adventurer
I have a stock 235/85-16 in there now. Width is fine but it is up against the front and on the door strap. There is room in the well for a larger tire.

PHSARGE

13728457_10202055754112642_799996371_o.jpg

OK here is the old girl sitting in the driveway. Better pictures to follow when I take her down to Philipsburg to do some Sapphire hunting. Also when I get the rear bumper finished up.

I couldn't get the 33 to sit in the holder correctly with the third row seat in. Unfortunatly I need to keep it because I need to haul around Boy scouts on camping trips every so often.

As for the Dual alternator setup. Sounded like a good idea when I found the bracket cheap. Plus always been alittle paranoid. Figure I can isolate one battery per alternator and and keep oneside running accessories. Then if I got an issue I still got one to make it back to town somewhere. Just not sure if it will work right like I am thinking. Here is what it is supposed to look like on a different suburban.

13292969_963991083708083_1523530878_n.jpg

FBJR

Adventurer
I leave for scout camp in the AM for 3 days. Did a 5 day 2 weeks ago.

Need some me time.

PHSARGE

Any particular reason for the dual alternator vs singe high output?

what plans for the 33" spare in the rear storage slot, will a 33" fit down in that tub?

Tried and could not get the 33" into the slot. Won't fit so pushing for a swing away. Thinking the tub will end up with a vehicle mounted compressor.

PHSARGE

OK so figured I would update on the rear bumper. Here is before and Tacked up. Still got to finish welding and get the swing away built but that's where she sits right now.

13838494_10202073430394538_905747167_o.jpg

13836068_10202073430194533_2128832768_o.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's a good looking design, I like the way the ends are tucked in.

There's certainly room for the dual alts in the 80s squarebody. Not sure how it would sit as the A/C compressor is usually in that location pictured.

Have you got your second battery / tray yet? I've got the factory tray for it in my '85 C-10, but I never got around to putting a second battery in. It should be a direct bolt-in and the bolt holes should already be there. If you need it I'm willing to part with it for a low price & shipping. It's just sitting in my pickup doing nothing. The pickup is just sitting doing nothing these days too. Pretty much abandoned in place since I got my Suburban 20mos ago.

PHSARGE

Nice, was that a kit? Recommend you cover it with Raptor Liner.

What is raptor liner? Never heard of it. I live pretty remote so I have to ship in most products. Was going to POR it then Duplicolor bed armor it. Is there some place to order it on line?

Yep that bumper is a kit. Front bumper will be as well when I get one. I think it was 12 pieces precut and bent. The brackets were off for the suburban. Had to redrill the center holes. Other than that it was all good. Here is there site.

https://www.movebumpers.com/

PHSARGE

That's a good looking design, I like the way the ends are tucked in.

There's certainly room for the dual alts in the 80s squarebody. Not sure how it would sit as the A/C compressor is usually in that location pictured.

Have you got your second battery / tray yet? I've got the factory tray for it in my '85 C-10, but I never got around to putting a second battery in. It should be a direct bolt-in and the bolt holes should already be there. If you need it I'm willing to part with it for a low price & shipping. It's just sitting in my pickup doing nothing. The pickup is just sitting doing nothing these days too. Pretty much abandoned in place since I got my Suburban 20mos ago.

Truck came equipped for a second battery. So I already got the tray but thank you in advance for the offer. Apparently they wired around it so trying to get that sorted back out. Can't find a diagram. Want to keep the new side isolated from the other battery unless needed for a dead battery. So anyone know where I can get a diagram with that.

As for the bracket. My compressor is on my passanger side. Both of these hang on the drivers so no need to loose the compressor. Just have to go to an AC Delco 244. for both of them. Trying to figure out the wiring as it is a different plug for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94