Barefoot & Homeless at Last...Adventures of a Young Sasquatch

dieselbigot

Adventurer
After our paddle we took a ride into town in Andy’s completely restored ’65 FJ45 long bed to pick up a few things I needed. Andy did a frame-off resto on this thing a couple of years ago and it is absolutely amazing. He did virtually everything himself including the paint which looks awesome. Not a lot of these left in the world, so it's great to see one in pristine condition.

FullSizeRender 8 copy.jpgFullSizeRender 7 copy.jpg

dieselbigot

Adventurer
This morning we are going to head up to Silverton (myself and Andy) for one night of camping. From there, once we break camp tomorrow AM I'll be on my own until I hit Longbow lake in Canada around the end of July. I had bought a new Garmin Montana for this portion of the trip so I could take advantage of the free Basecamp files you can download from the COBDR website here: http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR

Downloading the files onto my Mac was easy enough, but it took quite a bit of jerking around to copy the files onto my device. I'm generally pretty good with technology and was following the instructions to the letter, but it still took WAY too long. I realize a high-end Garmin GPS can do far more than an iPhone, but man do they need to make these things more intuitive!!

I'll be mostly off the grid until the weekend I reckon...so will post up again as wi-fi allows...
Cheers,
B

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Day 6 - Silverton to Ridgeway

I left Durango Tuesday AM and headed for Silverton CO. Andy decided to blow off work and come with me for one night, then part ways Wednesday morning. We stopped in Silverton for lunch and a few supplies before heading up 550 to Mineral Creek. We nabbed a nice little campsite along the creek with some gorgeous mountain views. Since we had a late lunch we had both agreed that we would not need dinner. A few G&T’s later and about 8pm and it was decided that the NY steak I had in my fridge had to be cooked up. After dinner we started a nice big fire and debated the merits of G-Wagens vs. Land Cruisers. As the debate wore out we settled into the crackle of the campfire and the music of Matisyahu before the lure of our dual Maggiolina tents and 10,000ft elevation put us into slumber. I never seem to do well the first few nights at elevation…I can never seem to fall asleep, even with the babble of the stream in the background which usually puts me right out. Two storms came through last night and unfortunately I was awake for both of them :). Apologies in advance for the sideways pics...there is no way to rotate them in the file management tool...
IMG_3843.jpgIMG_3836.jpg

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Day-break came late…we both slept late till about 8am. We brewed up a strong pot of Peet’s coffee and went for a little hike up to this beautiful waterfall not too far from camp. When we returned we broke down the awning and tents and said our goodbyes. I won’t see Andy again until about Labor day when I’ll stop in Durango again near the end of CD trail. So now I’m on my own until I reach the family lake place at Longbow Lake Canada.

I left our campsite at Mineral Creek about 11am after a delicious breakfast of a 1/2 left over sandwich from the day before with some pretzels and iced tea…breakfast of champions!! I left Mineral and headed north on 550 for a few miles before taking a left onto Ophir Pass Rd. This a a typical CO backcountry road twisting up to nearly 12,000ft with all kinds of little off-chutes to explore if you have the time. Many of them lead to old mine ruins, most of them festering with toxic crap spewing out of the ground…

Crazy how this stuff is still around over a century later, but it is. Of course they had no idea back then how much damage they were doing, nor would they have cared even if they did know. If it paid enough for a bottle of whiskey and a 1/2 hour with a whore, it was worth pulling out of the ground at any expense. It’s hard to imagine how tough life in these mountains would be in the late 1800’s. This is some hard country.

In mid-July It’s basically spring in the high country so everything is in full bloom...flowers of purple, white and yellow popping against a background of green is really pretty spectacular. After an uneventful trip over Ophir pass I dropped down into the town of Ophir which is nothing more than a handful of cabins and a fire station. I hit hwy 145 and carried on to Telluride to check out the town and make a stop at the market. Telluride is just what you think it would be…a total tourist trap catering to rich people. Although incredibly picturesque, I didn’t need to be there long before getting my fill. The kicker was walking into this hippy juice shop and ordering a small smoothie only to find out it was $9 bucks when I handed over my visa….ouch!!

I left Telluride and took a right just outside town onto Last Dollar road. This would take me on a 21 mile dirt track over the mountains and drop me onto hwy62 and Ridgway. Last Dollar goes from pavement, to compacted gravel to unmaintained dirt and would be a piece of cake when dry…but as I left town a thunderstorm started to drop significant rain and as I worked my way up higher in elevation, the lightening got really bad. I kept pushing on, but as I started to get out of the heavy cover of aspen trees and approached a clearing, a bolt of lightening struck the ground way too close to me…so I hung back in the trees and waited for the storm to pass.

After the storm passed I carried on to the summit which is where it got interesting. About half-way down the mountain there was a sign that read “Slippery when wet - 4W Drive - Good tire only”. I remember thinking to myself, ya…whatever. Well that was until I was coming down a particularly steep section and my rear end slipped out from me. Instinctively I corrected by steering into it and slammed the truck into 1st gear without touching the brakes. It was literally like a skating rink. I fish-tailed down the hill avoiding several large trees along the way and once I gained control of the truck, I put her in 4 low and 1st gear and slowly crept down the steep slick sections until I hit better ground.

I finally made hwy62 and Ridgway and stopped at a little hot springs place I’d seen on the map called Orvis. I’m a sucker for any hot springs, especially when you can camp onsite. I got the last spot for car camping and settled in for the night. After soaking in the tubs a good long while I cooked up a delicious meal of walleye, spinach and mushrooms tailgate style. Mmmmm!!

After finishing dinner I was doing some writing when I was approached by a dude named Daniel Markofsky who was asking me about my truck. Turns out he writes for some magazines and was in town for FJ Cruiser Fest which is happening in Ouray. So I’m just about to cook up some breakfast then I’ll pack up and head into town and check it out on my way to re-connecting with the COBDR. Till then, thanks for following along and cheers
B

PS I have NO idea whats happening w/ the file manager in this forum software...but it's turning my photos upside down for me :)
IMG_3849.jpgIMG_3814.JPGIMG_3826.jpg

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Thanks for the detailed report - I will be in Silverton on Saturday for a week of high-country wheeling. Seeing your pictures and reading about it, I want to go now.

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Day 7 - Ridgway to Lake City…and why I now hate Gunnison CO!

Thursday morning started out as a beautiful day. This was a part of the trip I’d been looking most forward to, getting down past Ouray, the Million Dollar Hwy and Corkscrew to Lake City. After brewing a quick cup of coffee and packing up the RTT, I left the hot springs and drove to Ouray. It’s a really pretty little town and much less of a richie rich crap show than Telluride. I stopped for fuel and a few supplies, then grabbed breakfast at this little hippy cafe called the Backstreet Bistro..ordered the Caprese omelette and it was awesome!

As I left Ouray and started down Million Dollar Hwy it became apparent why the speed limit is 25mph. The scenery is breathtaking and the road is very narrow and windy with zero shoulder extremely sharp drops that descend hundreds of feet in same places should you lose a wheel. About 6 miles south of Ouray is the turn-off to Corkscrew. I pulled out the GPS and brought up the COBDR track I’d downloaded for this section. This was key because man are there a lot of spurs that can be taken! Doing this solo with no GPS is doable so long as you don’t care what town you wind up in…but if you have a destination to make, GPS is the ticket. As I worked my way up the first pass it was pretty mellow in terms of people. But after that first pass the FJ Summit people started coming out of the woodwork….like what seemed like hundreds of them….one after the other.

Due to the traffic, it was pretty slow going…and because I was solo it made more sense for me to pull over and let the big groups pass…so there was lots of waiting. The first high pass was Hurricane where had it not been for the plow work that had been done on the north side, it would still be impassable. Hurricane is 12,730ft and commands amazing views including a crystal blue/green alpine lake below it.

I stopped at the old mining ghost town of Animas Forks…it’s pretty cool and well in tact. I would have loved to have spent more time there, but it was crawling with people…and I hate people….especially ones in FJ Cruisers with man buns and disk earrings…so I carried on to Cinnamon pass. As I started up Cinnamon I was blocked by a stalled Ford Ranger. The driver was this girl in her 20’s who was out by herself on her day off for a drive around the mountains (I thought that was cool). The truck would start but as soon as she put it in gear it would die. I told her to pop the hood and fortunately the problem was an easy fix…Under the hood was an aftermarket air filter with the MAS air sensor screwed onto the aluminum tube that had blow off…a few turns of a screw later and we were off. She followed me the rest of the trip out incase something else happened.

As we headed up Cinnamon I started seeing Marmot’s…like more than I’ve ever seen at one time in my life. I love Marmot’s…I don’t know what it is about these little buggers that makes me smile so much, but they do. Normally they are pretty reclusive and will retreat to the nearest hole as you approach them, but these guys were like Lake Tahoe bears…zero fear of people. I sat there are a few minutes and chatted with the first two. One was gnawing on a metal drainage culvert while the other stood up and checked me out…like literally 3 feet from my truck. He starred me down a while before reverting back to digging the hole he was working on, looking back and me every few seconds to see if I approved of his work.

The rest of the trip down from Cinnamon was uneventful until I hit the boney part in the lower elevation section. A slight rattle coming from the front end of my truck started to become more pronounced. I had checked every nut and bolt on this thing before I left, and it’s not like this is hard wheeling, nor was I hammering on my rig. I stopped at a clear flat spot and did a thorough visual on everything….came up with nada. So I pressed on looking for a place to camp.

I passed through Lake City and headed north on 149 for Gunnison. I figured either I would find a place to camp, or end up at a hotel in Gunnison. Either way, I wanted to get this thing on a lift first thing in the AM and find that damn rattle. About 15 miles out of Lake City I blew past a sign for a BLM campground and slammed on the brakes, threw it into reverse and went to check it out. What a find! There were just a handful of spots, all a few feet from the Gunnison river and there was virtually nobody there.

I posted up in spot #3 and placed my $5 camp fee in the post. This place was amazing…”primitive” camping at it’s best. I waited for the late afternoon T-storm to blow through before i set up camp as I knew it would be short lived. I poured a cocktail and just watched the lighting show…it was awesome. As the storm passed and hunger set in, I pulled some food out of the ARB fridge and set up my “stealth” kitchen which consists of a single white gas burner, my cast iron pan, a knife and tongs. I had brought a large action packer with my 22” cook partner stove, cast griddle and all the kitchen gadgets you could think of….this box weighs a crap ton and I have not used it yet…every night has been in stealth mode. Note to self…less is more :).

As I ate diner I noticed a lower tooth was super sore and irritated. I had smashed 3 of my lower teeth playing hockey as a kid and have had several triple root canals over 30 years trying to save these teeth. A last ditch endodontics surgery was performed 2 years ago and I was told it was 50/50 if it would work. Well last night it failed on this one tooth. I awoke to a throbbing toothache and knew it was time…this thing had to go.

I awoke to clear skies, cool temps and the sound of the Gunnison river behind me. I made quick work of coffee, breakfast and packing up camp before heading north to G-town. My first stop in Gunnison was to the car wash to de-mud the chassis, then to find a shop that would let me put my truck on a lift to poke around and see what was what.

The shop I stopped at was really cool about letting me in the back with their tech to try and diagnose this rattle. In the end, the rattle evaded me…but I know whatever it is won’t leave me stranded…the suspension is all tight.

From the shop it was off to find a dentist for an x-ray of my tooth. As suspected, I had an abscess that was not going to disappear with antibiotics…so I decided to just pull it. It’s about $4-5k for a permanent fake tooth, which is a lot of toys one could buy…so I think I’ll just sport the missing tooth as a reminder of my trip :)

So tonight is my first night in a hotel…which bums me out as I wanted to do the entire trip sans hotels. But given the circumstances of today it made the most sense.

Tomorrow I will rejoin the COBDR and follow it at least another day. I want to do more…in fact I could stay in this part of CO for at least another week. But my family all arrives at the cottage in Ontario next week and I’m still 1,400 miles away if I took the most direct route…and I’d still like to see some WY and SD.

Cheers,
B

IMG_3890.jpgIMG_3891.jpgIMG_3918.jpg

bbqaddict

Atta boy Sasquatch... looking good without the tooth! Amazing pic's and narrative, keep it coming :lurk:

Last edited:

El Diablo

Just joined expedition portal so that I could start posting on this site. I've been reading articles for some time, dreaming about the day I can leave work and drive across country. Came across this thread and love what you're doing! Keep up the great posts and pictures! Will stay tuned......

overactor

Observer
Pretty awesome adventure. i have been wanting to go west and overland. i traded my 2012 tacoma trd as it was just too small for my day to day life and bought a 2013 ram 2500 ctd. You happen to have anymore photos of info about your friends truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne