Converting a factory JK/JKU hardtop to modular

Jurfie

Adventurer
I don't have the courage to cut up my hardtop (because I'm fairly certain I'll mess it up), but I keep looking on local sites for a cheap candidate to give it a go.

Your posts certainly encourage me to try new things! I have lots of ideas (cutting up the hardtop was one I'd pondered before you posted the idea), and seeing the proof of concept and alternative methods of making them work is amazing. Your solution is a completely different direction than I'd been thinking (and yours actually worked!), and hearing other posters suggestions and ideas are what make these types of threads my favourite ones to follow. Please keep it up!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I vote power vent windows, as in your safari top!
I could do a write-up showing how to install Safari Cab style power vent windows in a factory hardtop, but because the factory hardtop window mounting surface is curved some remodeling of the factory fiberglass would be required. That makes it a fairly advanced project, more advanced than the modular conversion that's the subject of this thread, so I doubt anyone would undertake it. It's a bit easier with the Safari Cab, because the window mounting surface is flat and designed to accept alternate window styles, but there's probably not much point in documenting how to do it on the factory top.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I am planning to. I have a J30 and I would like an alternate modular top for times when I am not doing a lot of camping. Would be easy to store etc. I just can't get to it until after the new year. But I think these types of threads are invaluable to us dreamers, that don't have your talent, for inspiration and confidence to try new projects. So I for one would greatly appreciate it if you kept doing these type of write ups.

When you start your project, please document your progress here. And please also ask any questions you might have along the way - I'm happy to help you get through the project if you need clarification or help on any step.

jgaz

Adventurer
Has anyone followed the steps in this thread to create their own modular hardtop? Or is anyone planning to?

I'm just wondering if it's worth photographing, documenting and posting projects like this in the future.

Please continue explaining what, and how, the same way you are now doing when you share these projects. I don't happen to have a Jk/JKU so I won't be making a modular hard top anytime soon. I do however, follow all your different threads and look at how you a doing something, not necessarily what you are doing.

For example, I liked the way you clamped the curved rear door skin during your trail top project. I used a very similar cement block and pipe method to secure a repair on a curved surface for a friend's outdoor bar. I have few original ideas but I can remember good idea when I see one.

Thanks for your efforts

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Thanks everyone for the positive input about my detailed construction threads. I'll keep posting details here of any of my projects that have anything to do with overlanding.

I'm about to start a build thread on my new "Retro Rhino" JK Gladiator front clip project, but since it doesn't have anything to do with overlanding, I'll probably do the main detailed build thread on some other forum. Maybe I'll do an abbreviated thread here without all the construction details like I did with the CJ Grille Kit thread and do the details elsewhere.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Man this is AWESOME... Love you work.. I have a slightly damaged hard top I got for free no rear glass... I always wanted to fit it with OEM soft top windows but was unsure how... Think with your plans, and info I might can give it a shot.. The only area of real concern was fitting the windows in at the door surround.. I really do want to use OEM windows as I have en extra set and I like the fit. Great info on what resin to use. I had no idea I might be in touch once/if I start this project... My other big concern was matching and installing zippers that work with factory soft top and rear window, the rear window is pretty much useless with spare tier and other stuff so I am undecided about glass or soft window.

End result I am looking for a more permanent upper hard half, with removable soft side windows to maintain the open air benefit the Wrangler offers. I want the upper hard section so I can have my ultra low profile roof rack. Most racks on the market as they should facilitate both tops which is nice but increases the height especially with my RTT. With a dedicated hard structure I can drop the height of the rack by 2".

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Man this is AWESOME... Love you work.. I have a slightly damaged hard top I got for free no rear glass... I always wanted to fit it with OEM soft top windows but was unsure how... Think with your plans, and info I might can give it a shot.. The only area of real concern was fitting the windows in at the door surround.. I really do want to use OEM windows as I have en extra set and I like the fit. Great info on what resin to use. I had no idea I might be in touch once/if I start this project... My other big concern was matching and installing zippers that work with factory soft top and rear window, the rear window is pretty much useless with spare tier and other stuff so I am undecided about glass or soft window.

Thank you.

If you compare the factory soft top side panels to the modular hard sides, you'll find that they're a bit taller than the hard sides at the front, and a bit longer at the rear. Without modifying the factory soft sides, they won't really work as sides on the modular hardtop. The mismatch at the upper right corner in this photo isn't a problem, you'd just have to design the zipper strips that attach to the hardtop to fill that gap. I'm pretty sure the zippers on the factory soft side panels are #10 coil zippers, you shouldn't have any trouble matching them.

FactorySoftSideA_zpsynz0dcve.jpg

The factory soft sides may end up looking a little goofy as sides as soft sides on the modular top, if it were me I'd sew new soft sides that perfectly match the size and shape of the removed side panel, like these on the LJ Safari Cab. In the end making new ones won't be that much more work than modifying the factory ones, and I think you'd end up with a better result.

SideMountHiLift_zpsjgcxqrfv.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I picked up the Craigslist hardtop I posted about the other day. For $100, I couldn't resist but even better than that the guy let me have it for $50. I wouldn't have bought it because it's a few hours away, but I found two other listings on Craigslist for parts I need for the Retro Rhino project in the same area, so it was worth the trip.

HardtopTrip2a_zpswepe0eil.jpg

The parts for the Retro Rhino project are in the trailer, they're layered with mover's blankets so you can't see all of them but there's a JK hood, a pair of JK front fenders and a front flare, JK factory headlights and a few other bits and pieces. Also under the blankets are the Freedom panels that came with the $50 hardtop.

HardtopTrip2b_zpsryp2ahtm.jpg

I have no idea what I'm going to do with this second JK hardtop. Might convert this one to modular, but I already did one so that might be boring. Maybe turn it into a pickup-style half cab? (The barn door outer skin mold can also be used to make a filler panel for the hatch opening that will accept a flat piece of glass for the rear window). I've always thought it would be cool to put skylights in Freedom panels, maybe now that I've got a pair to experiment with I'll do that. Or maybe I'll come up with something else interesting to do with that top, I'll let it sit a while until it inspires me..

SamM

Adventurer
jscherb,
Your skills in the fiberglass field are very impressive. Please don't take my post the wrong way but what's the point? If you don't plan to make anything to sell, then why bother. As you stated, you don't even own a 2-door JK. I see no point to putting a hinge on the side windows. It would be easier to access items from the rear hatch than it would be to reach up through a hinged side window. I mean it's right there. The rear space in a 2-door JK is very small. I can reach everything for the back, no problem. As for the modular top. It's very cool but that's a lot of work for something that would rarely be used. The cost (read work) to benefit ratio is not there. People will just buy a soft top if they want it removable. I went to a hardtop from a soft top for security reasons and because I rarely used the soft top. In two years, I rolled the front panel back twice. Now, I can just remove the Freedom panels. Roll up side windows would nullify the hardtops security. I can understand the window storage units but they would be very small. The rollbar is very close to the window. It's a great idea for recovery equipment, medical supplies or anything that needs to be accessed quickly. But again pointless if they are not on the market.

Just showcasing your work here is great and we all love seeing what you come up with next. It's frustrating to see all your hard work never come to market. Have you thought about maybe mentoring an apprentice that has an interest in starting a company? It seems like that would have a more positive outcome for the Jeep market and Jeep enthusiasts.

I apologize if this offends you. It was not meant for that!

SamM

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I did some experimenting with the idea of gullwing side panels a few years ago on my modular LJ Safari Cab. These photos show the side panel mocked up as a swing-up. I didn't actually convert them to gullwing panels, I was doing the experiment to determine if gullwings were feasible and to do the design work on any changes that would be required for them to open, close and seal properly.

SwingUp1.jpg

SwingUp4.jpg

SwingUp7.jpg

In order for these to seal properly, the flanges need to be done differently than described in this thread. I can work up a description of the differences and maybe a drawing or two if people are interested in doing this to their factory modular conversion hardtop.

This is something that would interest me! I think that would be a great addition to my jeep!

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
It would also be possible to hinge the window; the hinge installation needs to take into account the curve of the window, but that's not too hard to do. Adding hinges and latches might look something like this:

HingedWindow_zpsqekyvsft.jpg

Or doing this would be perfect for the Jeep!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is something that would interest me! I think that would be a great addition to my jeep!

Once the modular conversion is done to a factory hardtop, it wouldn't take too much to get from there to swing-up sides. You'd need to add jambs along the vertical joints so the swing-up would have something to seal against, hinges would have to be chosen to deal with the curve along the sides and it would probably be good to put a drip rail above the hinge line, but none of that would be too complicated.

SwingUpSide1_zpsznubytnq.jpg

SwingUpSide2_zps5iuhfol7.jpg

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Also very possible to do, and doesn't require the modular conversion to the hardtop. I was working on a proof-of-concept of that three weeks ago and posted a few photos (http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-JKU-hardtop-to-modular?p=2172715#post2172715).

SwingUpPOC1_zpsdof4xxjr.jpg

But maybe I won't finish the proof-of-concept; check SamM's post from last night - he says it's a pointless idea :).

You know I do find it crazy that your ideas are not on the market. But you know if its just your hobby then all the power to you! I love to see these post about these modular hardtops and the safari tops. Hell I have been wishing and waiting to see that gladiator style truck grill make its way to your jeep and you do a write up about that because I would love to try that! do I need it? nope not in anyway shape or form do I need it. But I would love to have it!

Keep building away! If you stop you might have just stopped the inspiration for someone else to start a company.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You know I do find it crazy that your ideas are not on the market. But you know if its just your hobby then all the power to you!

Several dozen of my Jeep and overlanding designs are on the market, including my LJ/TJ Safari Cab modular hardtop, both my Jeep-tub and military replica fiberglass trailer kits, over a dozen hardware accessory designs and several fabric and electronics designs. A few more designs are in process and will hit the market within the next few months as well. Five different companies have signed up to manufacture and market various designs of mine, and some of them also sell my designs through other retailers such as the jeep accessory catalogs.

I love to see these post about these modular hardtops and the safari tops. Hell I have been wishing and waiting to see that gladiator style truck grill make its way to your jeep and you do a write up about that because I would love to try that! do I need it? nope not in anyway shape or form do I need it. But I would love to have it!
My current plan is to start construction of the Retro Rhino parts after I get back from the SEMA Show. That is of course unless something at SEMA inspires me to start another project first :).

Keep building away! If you stop you might have just stopped the inspiration for someone else to start a company.

That's already happened. A person I met through the forums wanted to start a Jeep accessories company so I gave him one of my product designs and he launched the company with it. Since then I've done several other designs for his new company; some of the products are on the market already and doing very well, and a few others will be on the market soon.

But I'd always be happy to help someone else start their own company too. Just as long as I don't have to turn my hobby into a job :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne