Isuzu engine trouble, need advice please

IGBT

Observer
We have a home built camper on a 2006 Isuzu NRR with a 4HK1 5.2L four cylinder diesel. The mileage is 150,000.

About 700 miles ago the engine light came on so I bought a code reader and read code P0500 triggered. It seemed to only happen at idle and after reset it didn't come back for a few days and maybe 300 miles. Yesterday while idling during launch of our sailboat the light came on again along with a bit of roughness, excess smoke and occasional huffing sound. This went away when I turned off the engine for a couple minutes but came back later that day. I read the codes and in addition to getting the P0500 again, I had a new code P0302. I erased the codes and they have not come back immediately.

P0500 is vehicle speed sensor and P0302 is cylinder #2 misfire.

I had injectors 1 and 4 replaced two years and 6,000 miles ago, along with redoing the fuel filter assembly. The other injectors were said to be in fine condition.

Any ideas other than another bad injector? The speed sensor thing seems weird.

Also we are in the middle of nowhere, ND and headed toward Lake Superior. OK to drive 400 miles or so to get near a Isuzu dealer?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Check the lines to injector 2 to make sure it's not leaking and causing the misfire. Can you hear or sense the misfire? If you can't hear or sense it, I'd say it's ok to drive. I'm not familiar with that engine though. What kind of sailboat do you have? The Apostle Islands are nice. We are heading up to sail the North Channel of Lake Huron in a week or two.

IGBT

Observer
Check the lines to injector 2 to make sure it's not leaking and causing the misfire. Can you hear or sense the misfire? If you can't hear or sense it, I'd say it's ok to drive. I'm not familiar with that engine though. What kind of sailboat do you have? The Apostle Islands are nice. We are heading up to sail the North Channel of Lake Huron in a week or two.

Hi, thanks Kerry. I guess we will try and make it to Minnesota.

The sailboat is a 2005 Montgomery 17. Sailing Devil's Lake in ND today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke