Power cord and converter question???

Nosferatu49534

Observer
On my camper I would like to upgrade the power cord and the converter. I'm wondering if i dont upgrade the converter right away can I change to cord over to a 30 amp cord with the twist lock ends without hurting the existing converter? My current converter is only a 12 amp. I ask because I really like the newer style twist lock with the screw on locking ring a lot better. plus with the other style plug its one less opening for rodents/ bugs to into the camper with.

Nosferatu49534

Observer
If I understand correctly ... You can always use a larger gauge cord that can handle more amperage. Just because the capacity is there, doesn't mean you will get more power. The power needs are determined by whatever is drawing the power.

Gotcha. I guess reading what you've said makes more sense in my head now. Thanks for the response.

Motafinga

Adventurer
It shouldn't create any problems for you like stated, you just wouldn't want to run more amps into smaller wire. Less amps into bigger wire is fine. When you do upgrade the converter, make sure all the existing wires are upgraded with it though.

Nosferatu49534

Observer
You can change powercords to higher capacity, just be sure you are still plugging in the the correct voltage.
I plan on just having the normal male 110/120 plug on the end that would plug into an outlet for 15 amp. Just changing the camper end. Thanks again guys I will be doing this before we head north next month. I'll get pictures. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior