M101A1 axle questions

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
So, I've had this trailer for a few years now, M101A1, I picked it up from Govt. Liquidators. I really haven't done anything much to it. I use it to haul my camping gear and as a utility trailer, to haul wood, rock etc. I'd like to keep the dual use of it. I'm thinking the first thing that I want to change is the axle. I currently have the original axle, with the split rims and hand brakes. Those hand brakes are cool and really come in handy. My tow vehicles are a 2012 FJC or a 2016 Tacoma. Since they're both small vehicles I'd like electric brakes, hand breaks and matching hubs. Is this possible and what's the best way to go about it? Can I adapt the current axle to electric brakes and change the hubs out? I've read about Dexter axles, but I have no experience here, so what do I need to do? This is definitely outside of my current skill set. Does anyone have someone in Southern Cal. (high desert preferably) that I could hire to change this out for me, or just help me along? Thanks for the suggestions.

cs0430

I used Redneck Trailer Supplies. Good price, shipped quickly and got what I wanted. I think it was also only $40-50 more to move to a 5200lb axle. Make sure you mention you want the manual parking brake feature. Here's the contact info there:

Charles Chism
Redneck Trailer Supplies
951-685-8384

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
Thanks buddy, I'll check them out.
I used Redneck Trailer Supplies. Good price, shipped quickly and got what I wanted. I think it was also only $40-50 more to move to a 5200lb axle. Make sure you mention you want the manual parking brake feature. Here's the contact info there:

Charles Chism
Redneck Trailer Supplies
951-685-8384

cs0430

Thanks buddy, I'll check them out.

No worries. If you'd like I can send you the order sheet I used to place the order. It shows spring center, total axle length, options, etc. I'm not sure if the rear axle and backspacing of wheels are the same as my 4R, but if they are the axle length I used +1.25" spacers (to convert the set-up to hub-centric) would track the same as the tow vehicle.

Also, don't be intimidated about the axle swap. When the right measurements are used to create the axle, it's a really easy swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles