Homebuilt storage box

fireball

Explorer
Greetings all,

I was searching trying to get some ideas for a storage box I'd like to build for the front of my trailer. I have a utility trailer with a FWC on it and have a 24"W x 24"H x 54"D space that I'd like to build a box with a slide out drawer that would contain our kitchen setup.

I have been looking at the Drifta website for ideas and am going to build something like this that slides out of an enclosed box:
Drifta-Camping-Kitchen-Black-Stainless-Finish01.jpg

There are outfits that will custom build an aluminum storage box, but I'd like to "prove the concept" first with something a bit simpler and homemade. Was thinking of potentially just building a box and wrapping with aluminum. It needs to be weatherproof.

Here is the idea in sketchup:
FWC storage box.jpg

And a photo of our setup... will go in the area b/w the front of the camper and behind the trailer water tank/diamond plate stone guard. This will allow us to cook under the awning off the side of the trailer.
166.jpg

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
My best suggestion for weatherproofing would be to build an outer "cabinet" with gasketed doors to fill the space, then have the drifta-style fridge come out on slides, rather than trying to figure out how to make the kitchen itself weather-tight, since it will probably have a lot of seams. Lots of full-size campers have weather tight storage locker doors - you can probably even source a door kit off-the-shelf, and just build a cabinet around it. With a good door-and-gasket kit, even a wooden box could be weatherproof, provided it was given the proper paint/epoxy coating.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Just thinking out loud Ben...I would do all aluminum 1/8", and a combination of HDPE, or some material like that....total slide out with Partner stove. I do think it will need support near the end.

If you come up with an idea...lots of shops can prebend the materials for you....but there's always a weld option too.

Love the new trailer!

Last edited:

fireball

Explorer
Thanks for the helpful suggestions thus far. I got started building a prototype, just a plywood box that will get wrapped in either starboard material or aluminum sheeting.

Working on the interior now which will hopefully be very functional.

It is unfortunately going to be very heavy. The 54" 500 pound drawer slides weight 35# !

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469117302.630667.jpg

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Awesome idea to put it under the overhang of the FWC. I have a shop down this way in DE that will custom build an alum. or stainless box to fit anything you want. Their normal business is building electrical control boxes and houses, but they've started doing personal stuff and powder coating on the side. But I definitely think you need to make sure the box is weather proof. Moisture will destroy the plywood box quickly. Here's a picture of my old one for inspiration:

Don

-

fireball

Explorer
Prototype is built. We are off tomorrow for a week long family vacation through VT up to the ME coast and then to Aacadia. We rushed to get it done today so I don't know the weight but it is pretty heavy. Used white PVC 3/8" material on the exterior so it is mostly weatherproof for this trip.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469224624.597588.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469224638.785848.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469224650.090595.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469224659.719290.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469224670.518426.jpg

fireball

Explorer
Thanks guys! It works. Needs more dividers to keep everything organized and our GSI cookware set doesn't fit through the opening so need to do something about that!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1469414495.594910.jpg

fireball

Explorer
We are on our way back from a week in Maine. Everything worked pretty well except for the Fulterer heavy duty slides. Their lock out mechanism sucks and the tabs both got bent out of shape and required some gentle persuasion to work properly again. Ashame the accurides don't come in the 56" length i need for this application.

The lower cubbies need a few more dividers to keep things better organized but overall we are very happy with having all the kitchen kit in one location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94