VanKrishna: Operation K.I.S.S.

Jb1rd

Explorer
I don't want to jink myself but feel pretty comfortable introducing my entrance back to #vanlife. VanKrishna is an ex oxygen supply company van bought by the current owner and slowly and lovingly modded over the last three years. It is an 5.4 Triton E350 EB Quigley with one of Ramsey's first RIP Kits, Aluminess front bumper, rear tire carrier and ladder. 33" BFG AT's and KMC Wheels, very simple camper layout but it has been insulated and paneled, swivel passenger seat, weather-tech mats and thule roof rack bars. As soon as the title is in my hand I will be giving Sportsmobile a deposit for a Penthouse install for early next year (they are taking deposits now for Dec :Wow1:) beyond that is to just use it as is and see how we want to configure the interior. On the wish list, Fiamma, back up camera, sliding door window, ARB twin screw compressor, Warn #12000 winch, Rigid D2's for the front bumper, some type of light bar for the front and some back up led's, Truck-lite HID Headlights (these are actually getting ordered as soon as I pick it up), and full Aluminess rear bumper with storage box. and steps for the wife to get in and out (it sits pretty tall and stout) And last but not least and very important, I need to add Cruise Control!!!!

krishna.jpg

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Nice van! When you look for your Headlights look for Rigid Industry. They make the same light as Truck-Lite but cheaper (they may have bought them out?).

Enjoy!

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 96197

Looks great, I want something like this at some point

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thanks, I love the color too, it's totally different than what I have seen but not too outrageous. The tires are only 33's so I am not sure what he did but the slider opens all the way. Picking it up at 7pm tonigh :wings: :wings: :smiley_drive:
Yay for slider doors! I love the color too!

Has the slider door been modified to clear the rear tire?

Jb1rd

Explorer
SOS!!!Need avdise on sound dampening and electrical gremlins

It is official Krishna is in the driveway!! I need advice on quieting down the interior, (it is imperative that I address this before the wife gets back home at the end of the month, she will not be pleased if I leave it as is) it has Fat Mat and denim insulation on the floor, walls and ceiling and the floor also has some type of roll/sheet material that runs from the back doors to the firewall. The walls and ceiling are paneled with thin plywood and there is also a rubber mat type of covering over the entire floor. The "camper" build out is VERY rudimentary, platform bed in the back, shelves on the driver side and a "dry sink" and small counter space on the passenger side, it is all tied together, but I think individually removable. I will have to spend some quality time tearing into it as it needs THOROUGH cleaning. The van started life as a Home Oxygen delivery van (hence the odd yet somehow appealing "Krishna Blue") totally bare bones Quigely 4x4, however it does have, power locks, windows and mirrors. My only point of reference for the noise is my B190 Airstream, it was by far WAAAAAAY quieter than this. The electrical is straight up possessed, the dome light only works with the key fob, the mirrors do not work, the a/c blows cold but only out of the vents on the top of the dash by the window, the passenger airbag light is on (he said I need to wire a pigtail for the swivel seat as it was cut off when he installed it and did not bother to do it) There is no STEREO, (he did however, fat mat the doors in preparation for one) what kind of monster drives around without good tunes?? So I ordered a simple Pioneer Dbl Din from Crutchfield to get the ball rolling and save my sanity, maybe if I play it loud enough the rest of the noise will get drowned out :sombrero: I'll get pics up tomorrow as I rolled in after dark!!!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Need some more details on what noises you are hearing. (Road, tire hum, engine, exhaust, interior rattles, resonance, etc) Also, check the fit of the doghouse. It's easy to misalign the pins that face forward, and the lower latches can become loose over time.

DzlToy

Explorer
First, don't buy anything that says Dynamat on it.

Now that is out of the way, you have a few options:

To properly dampen sound, requires a bit of engineering and a bit of planning. Covering the inside of your Jeep, van or Honda with MLV (Mass Laminated Vinyl) is not the answer to proper sound deadening. It is the answer, however, if the question is, "how do I waste a lot of time and money?"

See if you can find someone in your area like these guys, they know sound deadening: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

You may need a product like Spectrum's Sound Sludge in one place, LLP (Luxury Liner Pro) in another place and two layers of 3M's Thinsulate, which is hydrophobic, non-woven, non-linting polymeric micro fiber, in another. There is NO one product that does everything and there is no formula that fits every car or truck. Each product has a job, so to speak. An all terrain tire sucks on a race track and a drag radial sucks in the mud. Both are tires.

Think of the difference in sound between a door slamming and someone walking on a hardwood floor in high heel shoes. What about a screaming child in the next camp site over compared to miles of rough pavement?

More is not better, covering all the walls, floor, ceiling and doors in heavy sound deadener will certainly attenuate some sound, however the idea is to change the resonant frequency of the panel with different materias, as I understand it. Sound is transmitted by vibration at different frequencies, so the goal is to minimise the sound transmission over a broad spectrum, whicih is not a cut and paste job, completed in an hour after work. Take your time and do it right and you will enjoy your van much more.

Good luck.

Randall Dee

Huge Member
Pretty sure that this is the same van that I saw for sale a few years back. Same color, EB and CO plates. Somewhere on the web there are documenting photos of the build out.

Congrats. Looks like a good start.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Thanks fellas!!
Brad; I have only driven it once, about 50 miles home and I know that for me personally, every noise in a new vehicle seems amplified. I plan on having my buddy drive me around in different conditions/terrain so I can make a check list of different noises, rattles, hums etc
DZL; I will def check into the site you mentioned, thankfully for me what has already been done was not at my time or expense, hoping to pull panels, remove the denim insulation and add the thinsulate along with whatever else I can garner from those that have boldly gone before me.
Randell; I think you are right about it being posted awhile back, I seem to remember seeing it when I still had my B190. There are not many of E350's with this color blue, it is a custom order from the factory for a nationwide home healthcare company. I'll ask AJ (the PO) if he has a link or build thread, that might help explain somethings without having to try and noodle it out for myself.
I feel like a kid on Christmas waiting to play with my new toys but alas work, that damn four letter word, is ruining my plans. :sombrero:,
Hoping to dig into it tomorrow and Thursday, I will take pics of what I find.
Thanks for the help everyone

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Like DzlToy said, what product you choose depends on what noise you are trying to mitigate. Sounds like you already have FatMat, so resonance should be taken care of with that. I am a big fan of self adhesive Ensolite by Raamaudio. It's a lightweight and hydrophobic foam, so it's great for door panels and ceilings. 3m Thinsulate is great for cavities or behind panels where there is room for it to remain fully expanded. An adhesive hoodliner would work inside the doghouse. I would definitely ditch all the denim, as it holds moisture and takes up too much room for what it does.

Example of an install I did on my former Tacoma.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/131913-Manny-A-Taco-Build?p=1702452#post1702452

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles